shutting down psychic impressions because of fear

Milfoil

Welcome to AT :)

In all honesty, I never had such profound experiences but I did sense things, see things and know things which made me insecure. It didn't matter what people said, I often felt what they really meant and it was confusing as well as depressing or even frightening at some points.

Running away from it didn't make life any better, it was only when I embraced it and myself that everything started to make sense.

Not easy but then, nothing worth having or doing in life ever is.

mingbop

Not read the whole of this thread, just the beginning. Fear holds you back, it stops you going forward and it stops you discovering new things/places/experiences.
The only thing you have to fear from spirit is your own mind...nothing can harm you apart from your own imagination :)
If you get a flashback of being burned as a witch in 1660, then celebrate this new life where one cannot be burned as a witch, and go on !

Lula Jing

I haven't quite got the hang of shielding. I once had a tarot reading given to me by a guy who could also read my aura and I was drained for two whole days afterwards. Battery flat, nil poi. I then went to a spiritual workshop a few years later with my mum and that time we were BOTH drained.

The opposite has also happened. I had a very positive face-to-face reading with someone that I really like that used to be on these forums. I had to stop myself from speeding on the way home because I was so pumped with energy!

I also think I have a fear/block to opening up and wonder about past life experiences. One of my stupid relatives thought it would be funny to suggest putting me on the bonfire on bonfire night when I was about 5 years old. I can still remember the terror I felt while I screamed and clung to my Uncle for dear life. (Bad joke). My mum was really angry with that relative I remember...

Then in more recent years I was having some Reiki and the practitioner (new to me) reckoned that I had been burned at the stake in a previous life. I then started to smell burning hair and was really freaked out until she told me it was her own hair that she had accidentally caught on a candle.... LOL oh my days I could hardly contain myself from laughing my head off once I realised! :D

And speaking of 'head off' I reckon somewhere along the line I had the chop too because it is THE thing that I am most afraid of. Even when reading the Tale of Two Cities at school I felt physically sick to my stomach with awful fear and I've had numerous dreams about standing in line and waiting my turn!

faunabay

Wow! This is a blast from the past! I didn't even remember starting this thread back then! It's very interesting to see where I was then and how far I've come.

Thanks for bumping it back up crown-love-girl! :heart:

blueviolet

Wow, I was just skimming through this thread, and funny as I was reading about comments like "holding the neck in protection" I was doing just that -- my hand resting on my neck as I tend to do when I'm stressed, lol.
And boy have I always hated anything tight around my neck, especially turtlenecks.
Anyway, I get the back-and-forth feeling of embracing and running away from working with my abilities. It's shunned by my family who are all very conservative, traditional, mostly very earthy people, and I was raised Catholic. So I have to be very secretive about it, and sometimes fight an inner battle of what was ingrained in me through life and family and moral values, and go through the questioning over and over again of why am I different, why am I the oddball, why am I constantly drawn back to this stuff? And they are not? Thankfully I have this board and a few out there who are on the same plane, so I know I'm not alone, and it's okay. It just takes me some time now and then where I need to back away, and sometimes, I just need to go through that.

Callanish

Interesting thread. To maybe put a different perspective on being afraid of "seeing" I believe my fear comes from my childhood.
I've noticed that children show the greatest ability for psychic sight but as they grow older they revert more to the 5 basic senses.
As a child I was always seeing things, I was very easily spooked and terrified of the dark in particular.
Many kids are but I had a keen sense for danger and my father used me for dowsing for drains and water pipes around the farm.
One time I turned my family away from a fair ground ride queue, everyone was annoyed at me for stubbornly refusing to go on it.
As we were walking away one of the arms on the ride snapped flipping over a chariot killing the people riding in it. That and other things spooked my parents. I think as a parent you should encourage that sort of intuition.
If you show fear to a child of that ability they learn to fear it too.
As an adult I know I should try to open up more but what stops me is fear.

214red

i havent read the rest of the thread so if i am repeating what someone has already said...sorry

i think fear can be one of many blocks. I also agree that you need to learn to turn off and on psychically,and also learn about protecting yourself energy wise. you can use a crystal or an amulet but i personally would learn to protect yourself without such an aid, it can make you lazy. If you learn to manage your energy yourself you can instantly tell when there is a problem, stone or not, and this will help your psychic development, because i do beleive that the first stepping stone is learning about yourself and your energy.

mingbop

Well........ fear is a basic much-needed instinct that enables us to survive. I think the cavemen would fear the dark because of what might live in it - big cats/snakes/wotever. We fear fire because it burns, we fear deep water because we might drown, etc.
Fear of the unknown as in mediums work is maybe a basic instinct BUT.... how many people know personally somebody who was killed or harmed by a spirit ??? Know Personally and trust ? ie not "heard about" or "a friend of a friend" or "a woman who once worked with me" - etc etc.
I dont know anybody like that and neither do most people --because it just does not happen ! So why fear it ? You maybe mean you don't really fancy doing it, more than you mean you're afraid to.