Tarot legends and Myths (A Rant)

Eco74

elf said:
I want to make up some Tarot myths.
Like,
"If the first card of your reading is the Hermit you can't pull anymore cards because a Hermit is a Hermit after all and he wouldn't want the company. In fact, always keep the Hermit stored away from the other cards because he is in fact, a loner."

There.
My contribution to Tarot myths.
It's all about the propagation.
Oooh, me too!

If the fool comes up, it's time to stop the reading. The fool is all about walking away so as soon as the fool shows up, the reader must instantly pack up and move on to a different location.

Could make reading in fairs more interesting.
Client: But I'm sure I saw the readers tent here just an hour ago.
Friend: Well, they do move around a fair bit you know.
Client: Hey, there it is! Let's go before it moves again.
Reader: Not now, have to move.
Client: But where can I find you then? Can I just follow you to see where you're going?
Reader: No, I travel alone with no company other than my instincts. Close your eyes or walk away.

tmgrl2

That story about the ham, TheDreamer, is so wonderful because it is a perfect example of what happens over time...to things "passed down" by tradition and ritual.

I remember when I was teaching the fairy tale, Cinderella, to my children and as part of our original discussion. when they learned that there are approximately 1000 versions of this story...they wondered how the "same" tale spread across the earth.

Of course, the answer seems most likely, that the theme (rags to riches, wicked family members, fair damsel rescued by handsome royal personage, some kind of "test" )is so universal, it is likely that they all come into being more or less simultaneously across cultures...

So, too, with Tarot.... springing up in geographical areas where people were likely to bring the Tarot as a game, but also, perhaps, as a representation humanity's journey toward enlightment....and then, various "rules" about care of decks, use and storage, arising from needs of the times, on physical, spiritual, mental and emotional levels....

It's always wonderful to study the "facts" that we have...but whenever we read history, one must ask, "History according to whom?"

One must wonder....what traditions, decks, myths and legends surrounding the Tarot will look like in a thousand years.

terri

Umbrae

Here’s another one…

TV Vibrations affect the Tarot.

What? You mean it doesn’t? Really? Are you sure?

Used to be that folks said that living under High Tension lines (lines carrying huge amounts of electricity from power plants to cities) didn’t have any affect on humans either. They built schools under them…

Now the story is a tad different.

Air purifiers and air Ionizers…there’s a whole field of study just starting to come about, where we are discovering that all of our safe appliances are not so safe after all…

All I know is you can buy some cheap houses from the folks under the power-lines. (Don’t stare at the ‘children’).

elf said:
Exactly why I suggest to every serious ‘reader’ to use the International Icon.

Hey, let’s look at my favorite myth of all time...

The Death Card (XIII) does not mean death…

uh…so like uh…what does? Or is death not important in a person's life?

Mommy’s dead? Guess it don’t matter huh…

Read a wonderful article on the Death card at another site (system will not allow me to link - and posting it gets astrisk'd out oh well). I’d like to quote, “if you know anything about Tarot…”

Well by golly lets check out some experts, shall we?

Pratesi’s Cartomancer (1750) Death
De Mellit (1781) Death
Court de Gébelin (1773-1782) Death
Lévi (1855) Death
Christian (1870) …In the physical world death…
Mathers( 1888) Death, change
Golden Dawn (188-96) Death
Waite (1910) Death, end…mortality

Well I’m glad we straightened that out (he said sarcastically) …The Death card does not mean death...Whew...

In fact while I’m on the subject…

The meaning of this Tarot Card is…

Where do these meanings come from? A bunch of guys who have been dead in excess of 150 years? Does that give them more credence than say…you or me?

Why do we assume that because Waite or Mathers lived back in the Victorian era that they are to be believed over modern authors? What gives their writing more weight? Why do we assume they had more wisdom, more intelligence than you and I?

Did they have better research?

Does not Eugene O’Neil’s Tarot Symbolism, no...wait...make that Robert O'Neil have more comprehensive information than Waite and or Crowley? Papus or Christian?

In fact, in reading A Wicked Pack of Cards (Dummett et al) we discover that essentially the meanings were often arbitrarily assigned based on personal rather than historical information.

While at the ATS conference I heard one speaker use the words (after presenting something questionable), “And we know this to be true because I received the information through initiation…”

Excuse me? WTF are you talking about? I know something to be true because of YOUR initiation? Excuse the bleep outta me I don’t buy it…

Meanings…the very HISTORY of meanings…are mythology in themselves.

So when someone tells us they don’t teach myths, they teach tarot…I have to say, ‘Excuse me? WTF are you talking about?”

Now I’ve looked at the practical examples behind myths. However I do believe there are deeper, and more significant levels and roots behind them.

I suggest a little time with Joseph Campbell, who once said, “I live with these myths, and they tell me this all the time. This is the problem that can be metaphorically understood as identifying with the Christ in you. The Christ in you doesn't die. The Christ in you survives death and resurrects. Or you can identify that with Shiva. I am Shiva-this is the great meditation of the yogis in the Himalayas...Heaven and hell are within us, and all the gods are within us. This is the great realization of the Upanishads of India in the ninth century B.C. All the gods, all the heavens, all the worlds, are within us. They are magnified dreams, and dreams are manifestations in image form of the energies of the body in conflict with each other. That is what myth is. Myth is a manifestation in symbolic images, in metaphorical images, of the energies of the organs of the body in conflict with each other,” is in order.

:smoker:

mythos

Umbrae said:
And gifting a deck IS an act of initiation…

It tells the recipient that their gift is recognized. This is radically different than going out and purchasing your first deck, which is ego-centric (“I’m special, I have the gift, I’m gonna be a fortune-teller”), a stance not embraced by much of humanity.

And if Granny gives you her deck! Oh my GAWD!!! What a gift! What an initiation! What power!

Okay…so…do you have to wait to get your first deck?

No.

But do you understand the power of receiving your first deck as a gift? Do you understand the power that you can become a part of by gifting a deck?

Just a thought…

My first husband gave me my first deck. That very weekend we picked up a couple hitch-hiking who were heading to a spiritualist church. We went with them. I thought "What a load of bunkum" as we sat in a circle holding hands and breathing. I promptly went into a semi-trance state, felt myself lifting up from my seat and my throat working trying to speak. I was scared shitless.

When we returned home, my husband tore my new gifted deck to shreds in a fit of temper. Oops! He hadn't gone into trance and I had. Okay ... I don't like going into trance, so I don't. But I take the point that the gift was, intuitively a recognition of my 'gift', that it was a powerful moment. Pity that I didn't recognise that then ... but hey, I do now 30 years later ... I realise that the fact that he tore the deck to shreds didn't take back the 'power' of the gift. It can't be did!!!!!!! And it only took 30 years to be kicked in the butt by an Umbrae rave to learn that :laugh:

Thanks Umbrae ... for the first time I appreciate the gift I was given, and the mythology behind the idea of receiving your first deck as a gift. The fact that I bought my own decks from then on was, I suspect, an unconscious recognition of that initiation. Of course, my little interpretation may be an egocentric belief that boosts my confidence in myself. I'm off to explore that question now!

I will try to never say dismissively ... "Oh that's just a myth!" to anyone. Odd to realise that I do it while lapping up Campbell and reading mythology with such fervour and love of it.

I learned too, from painting that Holy Man banner for the conference that no tarot deck is just ink and paper, but at the same time, I would neither insist that one 'must' be given their first deck, nor that they 'must' create one of their own to be a 'real' tarot officiardo. What I will try is to be more careful, try to actually think and question, before I trot out some pat response. Will I succeed ... a little, probably ... but I will think and question ... and I thank you for your 'rant'. Having witnessed one of your 'rant's at the Conference, I can only say: You are indeed a blessing for one who too easily falls into sloppy, lazy thinking!

mythos:)

mythos

Lyric said:
OK, if we follow the lines of reasoning here, then are we to give credence to the myth that tarot is evil and a tool of the devil? If all tarot myths have a basis and none should be debunked, then maybe the cards ARE evil. .

Whoa, I think the reasoning here is that we should actually explore basis of the myth before we dismiss it out of hand. Find the kernal. The kernal with this one probably resides in the fact that the Church feared cards as heretical. This doesn't mean that the tarot is, or is not, evil .... it means that at a certain point in time (and still today for some sects and many individuals) tarot is perceived to be evil. Hence the myth. The fact that 500 years after tarot poked it's head up in Northern Italy, the myth still holds power for some people, speaks of the power of myth. It still does have validity in the sense that it is believed by a large number of people. This is reflected in legislation about 'fortune-telling', in many countries.

That doesn't mean that it is accurate, nor that we shouldn't make an effort to see it debunked. It means that, instead of just dismissing it as rubbish, we should be able to argue rationally about it's history and significance, and why is lacks validity for many people, and validity for others.

And evil? Surely, this is within the user. As we know from news reports of charlatans of the Miss Cleo ilk, 'evil' (which is a value-judgement) is not in the deck, but in the user, just as 'good '(another value judgement) is!

mythos :)

firemaiden

*firemaiden emerges from a pile of ashes, in which are scattered the charred remains of her mind.. short circuits are everywhere... smarting, smoking, fuses blowing faster than they can be replaced*

Umbrae you are faster than a happy squirrel, each time I think I know where you're coming from, you come at us with a new angle.

(ouch)

Okay, so to begin with, we're neither debunking nor bunking myths, we're examining their probable historical or physical reason-for-being. Scrutiny reveals some myths can now be safely dispensed without, without incurring the wrath of God. (I think we will all survive if we don't chop off both ends of the ham). While other myths may carry more weight than (some of us) originally thought, (e.g. that cards might absorb the energies of those who touch them)

And now the issue arises of traditional card meanings -- does the historical meaning, inherited from cartomancy qualify as a myth? Suddenly I am left wondering if "tradition" and "myth" are really the same thing.

That XIII should not mean physical Death, would seem to defy the earlier tradition, according the historical meanings you have laid before us.

It begs the question whose tradition is this anyway?, and who says which tradition is "right" or "wrong". Do I correctly sense, that you do not really have an answer, to whether we should accept or refute myths and traditional meanings as bearing any authority, but are instead, only encouraging us to examine them?

My father used to take me into the garden to turn over rocks, and pieces of wood, to discover the furtive salamanders, pill bugs, and earthworms sequestered beneath.

Look a salamander, isn't that cool?

It seems some of these little bits of "received wisdom" are hiding little gifts - if you dig. Do I correctly understand that it is the excercise itself of turning over these old stones that you would like to encourage?

mythos

Emeraldgirl said:
I put my decks back in order when I put them away cause I won't be reading with them for a while. The ones that I am constantly reading with and are in my reading bag are in whatever order I last shuffled them. Not sure why it is supposed to cleanse them. Maybe it makes them feel like new again?

I put my decks back in order, but the reasons are purely pragmatic. I always have at least six books on the go, and I have a tendency to slip the closest thing at hand between the pages to mark ones I want to take notes from, or just to mark where I am up to. Needless to say, I have done way too many readings without a full deck (no, rude comments here please :joke:) ... so, while I did break myself of the habit of turning page corners, now I am trying to break the habit of using cards as book marks.

Does this cleanse the deck? For me, No! I'd love to know the origin of that myth? Anyone?

mythos :)

mythos

elf said:
Nice TA.
Like,
"If the first card of your reading is the Hermit you can't pull anymore cards because a Hermit is a Hermit after all and he wouldn't want the company. In fact, always keep the Hermit stored away from the other cards because he is in fact, a loner."

There.
My contribution to Tarot myths.
It's all about the propagation.

I once had a reader tell me that if the Lovers card comes up, you can't continue past that card in the reading because it is a choice card and the choice hasn't been made. Sheesh!

mythos:)

Niamhcelticmist

Umbrae said:
Remember, I did say in the thesis post that knee jerking might be a mythtake. I’d prefer folks to ask me why I say something, rather than flat out tell me I’m wrong, or use a hypothetical example, or an example from a thread not referenced.

So let’s examine another myth; that You should be given your first Tarot deck (as a gift).

Never have I seen a post where anybody has even attempted to explore or explain this one. What we get are posts stating, “It’s not true!” “It’s a stupid harmful legend!”

Yeah perhaps it is. Perhaps it’s not. Anybody ever look at it? Examine it for signs of life?

Take a look at the Major Arcana as a Whole System (It’s all inter-related as opposed to static unrelated pieces – Geeze I wish Stewart Brand was a Tarot aficionado…) and you will observe how folks get the ‘Hero’s Journey” thing (or the Heroine’s Journey, or the Fool’s Journey, or…). The twenty-two cards can make a storyboard of infinite complexity… Books and books have been written about this very thing.

In any of the Journey Myths of Tarot, lies the act of Initiation.

And gifting a deck IS an act of initiation…

And if Granny gives you her deck! Oh my GAWD!!! What a gift! What an initiation! What power!

Okay…so…do you have to wait to get your first deck?

No.

But do you understand the power of receiving your first deck as a gift? Do you understand the power that you can become a part of by gifting a deck?

Just a thought…

I think another way to look at the myth is that of control of power and knowledge....A Myth that creates a system in which those who have the knowledge decide who they pass that information onto....This of course does not just relate to tarot alone...Like with all power it can corrupt....Since the begining of time there have been those who seek to control others..If everyone had the same chance to explore many of the so called mysteries...then who would seek out the Magi,The King,..or even the Gods? If everyone believed that the power was truly within them and all they had to do was believe and tap into it...how different would things be?...

Myths were created in the most part to create fears and distrust...to keep one group with all the answers...Now if you are lucky enough to be part of the group great!

If not....Well, Those who seek it on their own despite the fears and taboos placed by society...I salute you!

The Dreamer

Umbrae said:
Here’s another one…

TV Vibrations affect the Tarot.

What? You mean it doesn’t? Really? Are you sure?

Used to be that folks said that living under High Tension lines (lines carrying huge amounts of electricity from power plants to cities) didn’t have any affect on humans either. They built schools under them…

Now the story is a tad different.

Air purifiers and air Ionizers…there’s a whole field of study just starting to come about, where we are discovering that all of our safe appliances are not so safe after all…

All I know is you can buy some cheap houses from the folks under the power-lines. (Don’t stare at the ‘children’).
Okay, here's the theme of energy again. Regardless of how energy does or does not affect the nonliving tarot cards (how various energy sources do or do not affect living beings really does not come into this-) why would energies possibly affecting cards have any bearing upon what cards are drawn? What cards are drawn is the key to how tarot works (how- though 'why' is not known). It would only have bearing upon what cards are drawn if a person draws their cards by waving their hand over individual cards and choosing them based upon the energy they might sense from that. If the cards are chosen by any other means- dealing after randomizing shuffling, drawing based upon anything other than sensing of energy- then the energy of the cards would have nothing to do with how they would work. The only other effect of any energy change in the cards would be any discomfort a theoretically sensitive person would feel from handling cards with altered energy.
I really don't understand all of the emphasis upon the energy state of the cards. Energy effects everything. Most people are not physically sensitive to many forms of it. Cards are no more special than anything else when it comes to interacting with energy, and are in fact less so because they are not living and are not made of conductive material.
On top of that, tarot divination works even without physical cards, as everyone who has used computerized drawing methods knows.
Anyone who might be sensitive to energies from objects, and who chooses which cards to draw based upon the energies they may sense from the cards, or who feels affected by the energy state of the cards in general, can easily test the "TV effecting the cards" theory by putting the cards on the TV for a while, then choosing cards or sensing the state of the cards after that.
For any tarot user who can't sense such energies- the question is really irrelevant.

Elf said:
Umbrae said:
Exactly why I suggest to every serious ‘reader’ to use the International Icon.
Presumably because the simplicity and lack of detail of the pictures (which are still RWS) is conducive to making things up?

Hey, let’s look at my favorite myth of all time...

The Death Card (XIII) does not mean death…

uh…so like uh…what does? Or is death not important in a person's life?

Mommy’s dead? Guess it don’t matter huh…
Strawman argument. Nobody thinks death is not important. And someone's saying that the Death card does not mean death has nothing to do with their views on the importance of death.
What does mean death aside from just the death card? As a single cards, the Tower could, Three of Swords could. As multiple cards-that is a question to be answered by those who are adept at putting together multiple cards into big picture reading.

Read a wonderful article on the Death card at another site (system will not allow me to link - and posting it gets astrisk'd out oh well). I’d like to quote, “if you know anything about Tarot…”

Well by golly lets check out some experts, shall we?

Pratesi’s Cartomancer (1750) Death
De Mellit (1781) Death
Court de Gébelin (1773-1782) Death
Lévi (1855) Death
Christian (1870) …In the physical world death…
Mathers( 1888) Death, change
Golden Dawn (188-96) Death
Waite (1910) Death, end…mortality

Well I’m glad we straightened that out (he said sarcastically) …The Death card does not mean death...Whew...
There's 'meanings' again. All of the decks I use have a non-death 'transition' option as part of their official death card meanings. What the guys of the old days said about the meaning of that card doesn't matter to me when I am drawing in the here and now. What matters to me when I draw in the here and now is that I know what the card means, and does not have to mean at the time that I use it.

On this forum, some have said that the death card has at times meant death in their experience. Some have said that it has never meant death in their experience.
Some have said that death has been indicated by the cards in their experience- but that it was not indicated by the Death card.
We're talking about falsifiability again. If the Death tarot card ever does not mean death when someone draws it, even once, then it is disproven that the death card always means death.
Which of course does not mean that it can never mean death.

In fact while I’m on the subject…

The meaning of this Tarot Card is…

Where do these meanings come from? A bunch of guys who have been dead in excess of 150 years? Does that give them more credence than say…you or me?
My only problem with "you and me" coming up with meanings is when it would become so ambiguous that one could not tell what the cards meant. (I suppose this is where we again should be referred to the famous "The Blank Spot" which I do not understand- uhh, peripheral vision, gaze off into space, don't be afraid of silence and darkness...yeah, okay, but one still wants to know what the cards are saying.)

Why do we assume that because Waite or Mathers lived back in the Victorian era that they are to be believed over modern authors? What gives their writing more weight? Why do we assume they had more wisdom, more intelligence than you and I?

Did they have better research?

Does not Eugene O’Neil’s Tarot Symbolism, no...wait...make that Robert O'Neil have more comprehensive information than Waite and or Crowley? Papus or Christian?

In fact, in reading A Wicked Pack of Cards (Dummett et al) we discover that essentially the meanings were often arbitrarily assigned based on personal rather than historical information.
Yes, that is amusing. I have also found that prior to a throw one can make up temporary meaning rules such as "I'm only going by the pictures" or "I'm only going by the written words" and the tarot will give one information based upon that.

While at the ATS conference I heard one speaker use the words (after presenting something questionable), “And we know this to be true because I received the information through initiation…”

Excuse me? WTF are you talking about? I know something to be true because of YOUR initiation? Excuse the bleep outta me I don’t buy it…
There's "initiation" again. But different, because it's not about the practice of using tarot, but about the meanings to be found in tarot. Initiation again doesn't have anything to do with whether "real, true" meanings exist in tarot.

Meanings…the very HISTORY of meanings…are mythology in themselves.
This is true. But when we use meanings in tarot, we are not practicing mythology in the sense of just talking about concepts; we are practicing matching life with concepts. If the throw did not fit the life of the person it was drawn for, then there would be no reason to use tarot. So in the use of tarot for divination, the practice and usefulness are important, but the history is not, except insofar as it mirrors the now.

So when someone tells us they don’t teach myths, they teach tarot…I have to say, ‘Excuse me? WTF are you talking about?”
I do think there is a difference, as I outlined above. Just as there is a difference between religious dogmas and religious practice, between the letter of a law and the spirit of a law, between talking about a thing and doing it, between having heard rules about how to do something and having had personal experience of doing it in one's own way.

Now I’ve looked at the practical examples behind myths. However I do believe there are deeper, and more significant levels and roots behind them.

I suggest a little time with Joseph Campbell, who once said, “I live with these myths, and they tell me this all the time. This is the problem that can be metaphorically understood as identifying with the Christ in you. The Christ in you doesn't die. The Christ in you survives death and resurrects. Or you can identify that with Shiva. I am Shiva-this is the great meditation of the yogis in the Himalayas...Heaven and hell are within us, and all the gods are within us. This is the great realization of the Upanishads of India in the ninth century B.C. All the gods, all the heavens, all the worlds, are within us. They are magnified dreams, and dreams are manifestations in image form of the energies of the body in conflict with each other. That is what myth is. Myth is a manifestation in symbolic images, in metaphorical images, of the energies of the organs of the body in conflict with each other,” is in order.
So here's the question of whether the myths have any existence outside of the experience/mind/body/energy of the individual. I don't know if they do. Not everything can be applied to every person- some myths are more close to universal, while some are more personal.
So the old question of how much people differ and how much they are the same arises, and so does the old question of how to bridge the gap between the experiences of individuals through communication- and the old question of how much to believe what people say.

Old questions.