Tarot legends and Myths (A Rant)

Umbrae

Just one response…
Umbrae said:
Exactly why I suggest to every serious ‘reader’ to use the International Icon.
The Dreamer said:
Presumably because the simplicity and lack of detail of the pictures (which are still RWS) is conducive to making things up?.
Ouch! No…because of the 79th card, silly…

Fulgour

0 x 22 = A Fool & His Many

Myth #048392 "Self-Imposed Blinders"

I don't know anything about Kabbalah or
Astrology, but I like Aleph for The Fool.

:eek: Oy!

The Dreamer

Umbrae said:
Just one response…
Ouch! No…because of the 79th card, silly…
Oh yeah, the happy squirrel. :)

The Dreamer

Fulgour said:
I don't know anything about Kabbalah or
Astrology, but I like Aleph for The Fool.
But "like" is different from "know that it's right".

Also "works for a person personally for divination" is different from "should be used by everyone for divination".

Fulgour

The Dreamer said:
But "like" is different from "know that it's right".

Also "works for a person personally for divination" is different from "should be used by everyone for divination".
But you forgot " :eek: Oy! " ~ that was the whole point!

jumptothemoonyea

This is a very interesting thread. Made me think in 3 directions only :). I'll list them briefly here:

• physical vs non-physical; do all the energies can be described as some form of physical imprints, or non-physical energies exists beyond the physical?

• in addition to direct energetic imprints: skin, DNA, etc, the frozen energy of the idea, thought (forms) behind the image, can exist on very tangible level; think of the Mona Lisa for example, it is not only energy of the people who touched the picture, that touches us, it is the energy of the image that lives and radiates century after century. Or in other way, thoughts directed to an image, can attach themselves to it as pieces of energy: positive or negative.

• and myths and first decks: I bought first deck through a very strong pull from some Source. On another level, beyond the fixed money structure, can we tell: an Unknown Force has given us a deck as a Gift? By pulling us to it? Gift of Divine Connection? :)

mythos

elf said:
Nice TA.
Now you have me wondering, how do Aussies say Tarot? I say it Taa-roh. .

Just in case no one answered this ... we in Australia say 'Ta' as in 'tap' and 'rot' as in 'row, row, row your boat, gently down the stream, merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, life is but a dream ... and speaking of which, I'm off to dream dreams of tarot, tarot myths, myths and, with a little luck, I'll learn something enriching .. or funny!

g'night
sleep tight (whatever that means?)
don't let the germy people bits bite!

Great discussion btw

mythos :smoker: coyote & glistening piglet :laugh:

tmgrl2

Have been watching Joseph Campbell's Power of Myth on DVD....

A couple of statements struck me...Myths serve the purpose of placing us into the Dance of Life....metaphors that stand beyond thought....

Then he said:

The Environment today is changing too fast for it to be mythologized. We need to build one.

So...are we in this age of Tarot, reexamining the old "myths" in order to build or mythologize Tarot for our times?

He also speaks to the idea that artists are the mythmakers of our day...gifted people who hear the song of the Universe and speak it to us.

Would we be song singers for the Universe when we set out the spreads, meditate on the images and speak what we hear?

terri

Psychebleu

myths are good by me

I am one of those people who has been known to say of the bible, "It's a myth, like any other". That doesn't mean I don't think it's full of truth and wisdom. I only mean to comment upon the plot, but often don't clarify that, as it's usually literal-minded people to whom I say such a thing; if they weren't, such a statement would be redundant. I feel the same way about Past-life Regression; so the gal in all probability did NOT spend a life as Cleopatra - the psychological space explored and lessons to be gained are still useful in the present. So it's all the same-difference. If wrapping your cards in colored silk, performing ritual before every reading, cleansing the deck w/ incense, or insisting upon the importance of 'energy exhange' makes the tarot more rewarding for you, then none of it is nonsense and it all 'works'.