The Querants Question- Do you hear it before or after a reading?

berrieh

KCB said:
I had been thinking about a post on questions but as this one is going i will park mine for a bit and see what happens. my response applies to readings where I am paying someone. I think its a bit odd the way readers are a) expected to proceed with no information or b) prefer to proceed with no information. You would not show up anywhere, your lawyer, lecturer, doctor, etc and sit there mute and make them guess.

Questions are useful tools, but I understand sitters not wanting to give out too much information to a Tarot reader, if they've come for a fortune telling/divination or psychic reading. (If it were a counseling exercise or something, well, then...okay. But be sure it's advertised that way!)

How can the reader and sitter confirm the connection if everything the sitter knows is revealed? Why shouldn't the sitter expect a reader to...well, divine information, since that's what the service generally is?

I don't expect my lawyer to be psychic, but I do expect him to know the law and be able to perform legal tasks without my assistance (filing, litigating, etc)! I don't expect my doctor to be psychic, but I do expect my surgeon to do the surgery without me holding the retractor!

Perhaps this goes to whether or not you believe a reader is sharing knowledge of card meanings or performing a divination of some sort. I could teach someone the cards even if I had all the information, but I couldn't really divine. Most sitters don't give two hoots about the card or my body of knowledge; they just want to confirmation, connection, and answers to their questions.

I like questions well enough, but I certainly understand why a sitter might be leery in giving any information out. And, while information doesn't particularly hurt my ability anymore, I get why it could disrupt someone who separates their logical and intuitive sides. Personally, I use logic while divining...because logical framework is what lets me see card connections; so, I don't shut down that side anyway.

Sinduction

KCB said:
You would not show up anywhere, your lawyer, lecturer, doctor, etc and sit there mute and make them guess.
I see your point but I don't think it can be applied to tarot reading.

I say this because, for instance, a lawyer relies on their training and knowledge of the law to make informed decisions on how to proceed. Doctors are the same, it is their knowledge and study that helps them make an informed diagnosis.

Tarot reading does rely on our study and knowledge, however, we do not pick the cards ourselves. Does that make sense? Now if we put certain cards in specific positions I would agree with you. But that is not how it happens. Unless I'm really doing it wrong! :D

We are asked to interpret the cards as they lay (lie?). One does not need a question to do so. Of course, if one feels they do need a question, they are free to ask for one. But either way of doing it does not make one a better reader than another.

EmpressRenee

When I do readings in the 'Reading Exchange' forum, I always ask querants about their questions or topic that they would like me to focus on (if they don't have a question, then it is a general reading or a topic reading eg: romance, career etc.) It aids in developing the spread to be used and interpretation of the cards that come out. Since each card should be interpreted in the position they are in the spread and in relation to surrounding cards and the query, I find that knowledge of the question is important to be able to provide meanigful reading to the querant.

I am not entirely sure how different spreads can be devised without prior knowledge of what sort of query the spread is designed to answer or give guidance on. For me, I devise specific spreads to provide guidance on the query.

As I don't generally use an all-round three card throw with no positional meanings, knowing what the querant wants me to read for is crucial for me to be able to assist the querant with Tarot's guidance.

Renee

berrieh

As I don't generally use an all-round three card throw with no positional meanings, knowing what the querant wants me to read for is crucial for me to be able to assist the querant with Tarot's guidance.

There are many spreads that are not simple 3 card throws that are conducive to general readings, especially the Celtic Cross (the center card, #1, can represent the topic or question to be answered) or the Opening of the Key.

I agree with you that questions are helpful to choosing spreads, though.

balenciaga

I prefer 'no question'. Much better readings when I do not know the background. The energy just comes through. I have made the mistake of looking for information the querant requested and given an incorrect reading. I do not like to search within the spread for specific info - I want the information to present itself and then I interpret and pass it on to the querent.:)

quiet0ne

it depends on who I'm reading for. if it's my boyfriend, then i ask his question beforehand, because my readings are more focused that way. that's just how we roll.

anyone else, i do an "overview" reading first of what i see, then ask the sitter their question before doing a really in-depth reading. i find that this method lets me hone in on specific impressions right away without a biased intention (since first impressions are almost always the right ones!)

SharonS

Hooked on TdM said:
So my question to you all is do you have the Querant tell you the question they are asking before a reading, after a reading or not at all?

So what way do you do it and what do you feel are your pro's and con's to your method?

Can't wait to see the answers!
Hooked
Hey Hooked,

I usually don't bother with having them tell me their question...I usually tell them that they can ask something if they want...but that other things will probably come out before their question (especially if it's needing more attention than their question itself) so it's whichever they choose to do. If they're here in person I have them think of the question as I shuffle if it's a particular one. But if they're not, then i just do the reading and let them know what I find out. I'm not exactly a strict strict person on that...to me, it's whatever feels right for them at that time.

~SharonS

Bloudwedd

Well, it really depends for me. Asking a question gives me focus and direction. And it is also a part of my shuffling practice these days. And yes I go on the same line as KCB - you would not go to a doctor expecting him to find out where you are having pain or why you are sick.

But it also ofc have to depend on what kind of reading you are giving.. For someone giving a pure divinatory or psychic reading I assume that a question only would cloud the energy flow. But on the other hand, as I understand it these persons might not need the tarot cards anyway. They just use it to get their message throough easier. For me, who is not a single bit psychic I do consulting and coaching with my cards and as such it is important to have at least a subject to hang up the cards on. Ofc, that does not mean that I want the clients total life story. Just enough to get a direction. I have noticed that when I do a general reading and do not have a focus or a small background it is very easy for me to get off track. Maybe it talks more about my own inexperience with tarot than anything else. But that at least how I feel!

reine de saba

I so envy you folk that can read without question. I thoroughly believe all that you all have stated as your reasonings for doing so.

I've only been reading for others for three months now. I am developing a fair hand, certainly book-weaned, lateral reading, "between the cards" and so on.

However, my readings are MUCH better when I have just a few words -or something- to go on. I remember the first face to face readings I did for strangers. There were two and I thought on principal I shouldn't know the question.

The first lady -and she had some familiarity with the cards- was able to "listen laterally" and the reading really worked for her, though when I heard after what the question was, I could have gone SO much farther with those cards. The second, I found out afterward, wanted to know about a divorce her daughter was going through. I heard only "about my daughter" and so threw a mother-daughter spread that was completely inadapted. Later, I was able to go through it and understand what the cards were trying to say, in a difficult throw, but gave a bad reading because I knew nothing.

Some friends I read for without questions, I was dead on, but had some idea of their lives, even if little or nothing concerning the spread subject itself. It was different from knowing too much already about a given situation, in which the cards were little more than illustrations of advice I'd already given. I didn't know a whole lot but had *something* to go on.

I'm finally participating on the reading exchange, and I find that the questionless or "about X" - I have only an initial, love? parent? friend? no idea. I have a hard time and just grope about and give a weak reading. Hit and miss, not very helpful.

The best I've done thus far was for Dinah's greyhound and his back leg. It's not an enormous scenario's worth of information, but the reading apparently was pretty good. She found it of use. Was spot on for some stuff I wouldn't have thought of alone.

So, I'm frustrated.

Oh Ye who read without questions, was it always so? Was there a moment when you went cold turkey, a conversion? How was it at first when you went without? Or, if you've never read with questions at all, how was it at first in reading for others.

How can you figure with even a simple "about my boyfriend" if the Ace of Cups means lucky break or a breakup (I've seen it so, two reducing to one in the love department)?

I love the idea of "going into the zone" but if I've ever even skirted the suburbs of the "zone" I' don't know. I think I'll only get there ever by reading reading reading for others. But if those readings are continually weak by lack of context, points of reference, well, I don't know how to plug on.

I get quite discouraged.

berrieh

reine de saba said:
Oh Ye who read without questions, was it always so? Was there a moment when you went cold turkey, a conversion? How was it at first when you went without? Or, if you've never read with questions at all, how was it at first in reading for others.

I used to believe you HAD to have a question to read. Now, when I read, it's optional to the sitter. (I do require questions for free readings - especially distance, over the internet - the majority of the time, just because it cuts out some of my effort, to be honest.)

Some of it is just getting more experience, trying it more, but it's also figuring out how/why you use the question.

Many "traditional" spreads (like the CC) have a position for Situation/Question, which is only meant to reinforce the topic. If not, you can pull a card for that if you like, and I often do. It won't give you the exact word-for-word question, of course, but it should clearly show a topic if you get to know the cards fluently.

Fluency is a process. Meanings is just the beginning, like when you took a foreign language and learned vocabulary. So vocabulary = card meanings. There's also grammar = reading a spread, understanding positions & structure, following the flow of the cards. And there's diction = reading specific card combinations, understanding context. And then, there's that something extra, where it all comes together and you can't remember not-knowing it.

Some people get Tarot faster than others, but I think everyone can get to that point...so I'd urge you not to be discouraged.

How can you figure with even a simple "about my boyfriend" if the Ace of Cups means lucky break or a breakup (I've seen it so, two reducing to one in the love department)?

Context. The position, the surrounding cards, and the dignity of the card would tell me this.

And then there's intuition. It's funny--I wouldn't call myself an intuitive reader because I utilize a certain form of logic. Yet, I've had similar cards fall together and mean different things. So, I suppose there is that 'intuitive' muscle in play, but that's a muscle too, and the more you use it, the better you become.