The Tarot Directory by Annie Lionette

Sea Sprite

The Tarot Directory by Annie Lionette.

Have you read this book? If so, would you recommend it? :)

Khatruman

Nope, haven't heard of it. Is it like the Yellow Pages??? Let your Fool cards do the walking? *S*

Cerulean

Really like it

I originally saw it last year around Xmas, but got the Total Tarot kit instead. Now it is on sale for about nine or ten dollars at Barnes and Noble and it is very very good for me, as I like to use art or nonstandard decks and compare meanings to well-known decks.

Thoth, Rider Waite, Ukiyoe, Morgan Greer, Royal Fez Morroccon...many are U.S. Games titles. Since I like to use European titles, this gives me good information in a better way than swiping little white books from different decks.

This usually has two or three cards from different decks and has two full pages of description. The tabs divide into sections -- the majors and minors, reading suggestions, spreads, etc. About 205 pages, not too thick and while some of the
supplemental information (list of websites in back, bibliography for more information)
might be available elsewhere, this is valuable to me for doing readings and comparisons.

This seems to work for me best when using modern decks. Some of my historical and theme decks have good books already, so in this case, it would be a comparative summary of modern interpretations--usually geared toward the positive side.

Mari H.

mzmystic

I have this book and I think it's a good one. There's a smaller, purse-sized one by Annie Lionnet that's more useful to me, though, called Secrets of Tarot. It groups all fours together, all kings together, etc. and has first an overview of the four, then a couple pages with brief descriptions of each of the four individually plus a lot of other information. She packs a lot into a small book. I'd recommend the smaller sized book, truthfully. I got it at Barnes and Noble also, as I recall, and quite inexpensively. I think it might have been 6.95. In spite of the price, it's an extremely sturdy, well-made book and although not hardcover, it's also not paperback. The cover is almost a laminated type material. I have quite a few tarot books, but this little one is the one I find that I reach for much more often than any of the others.

Cerulean

I had the small one...

I'll check storage bins if I didn't give it away. I remember having it and using it for travel! I had forgotten she wrote that good one, as well. Thanks!

Mari H.

NightWing

Praising Annie Lionnet

How wonderful to find some opinions here on Annie Lionnet's 2 books! I ended up getting both for different reasons at different times. While I like the spiral-bound Directory, I REALLY like the smaller (than some tarot cards) "Secrets of Tarot", for its portability, lavish colour illustrations, and surprisingly thorough approach. While much of the compact book's 224 pages are about tarot history, choosing a deck, and interpretations of individual cards, more than one third of the book deals with shuffling, spreads, and reading. A Dorling Kindersley Publishing (DK) product, it is worth triple+ the US$6.95 I paid for it. The book may be harder to find now, copyrighted in 2000, but I'd say well worth a bit of searching.

It forms the core of my tarot travel kit. As both an intro and as an ongoing portable resource, I highly recommend it. Well done, Annie Lionnet! This is one tarot book that delivers what it promises.

Flidais

I have The Tarot Directory by Annie Lionnet and use it often. The illustrations from different decks are fascinating and revealing, and the commentary is insightful.

Emily

The Secrets of Tarot is a firm favourite of mine so I was pleased and slightly amazed to see 'The Tarot Directory' in the bargain bin at my local bookshop. I bought it on the spot.

I love being able to compare different decks and I like her style of writing, very concise and down to earth, also with it being spiral bound it lies flat. It has a nice selection of spreads in at the back too. :)

rainwolf

I've seen it and I thought it just looked like a summary of the cards, and I usually look for books that have different approaches to tarot so i didn't get it. I have her small book "the secrets of tarot" and i thought it had some good spreads, although the card definitions were a little brief. I would recommend looking through both, and if you see several things you deem "different" and "fresh approach" then i would consider buying it after looking through it a little more.

firecatpickles

This was a book that is part of a set that I won on ebay earlier today. I was thinking about giving it away, but now it seems to me to be something I might enjoy. We'll see...