The Tarot of Aubrey Beardsley

Bat Chicken

Forget the clothes - go straight for jewelry...! ;)

Papageno

Bat Chicken said:
Forget the clothes - go straight for jewelry...! ;)

I agree, but that sounds like a 78 card effort

Lillie

Oh, I have loads of jewellery I hardly ever wear.

I expect I will get something interesting, like a curious shaped stone, or an untuned ocarina.
Or maybe a new pair of army boots!

yaraluna

so Lilly,

You get the images from book chapters, but do you then draw/paint them with ink pen or markers????

prudence

Wow, Lillie!! I just saw this thread, thanks to someone mentioning it in another thread...(thanx papagano:))

This deck is so beautiful, I lOVE black and white decks....I'd love to see someone's deck and box, if anyone is able and willing to post a photo...?

Black stillettos, eh? Way outta my league, I couldn't walk 3 paces in them!:D

PLease, let us know if there will be a 78 card version....

Well done, Lillie!!

Lillie

So what do I do?

Not a lot.

Beardsley did the art.
It's his deck, not mine.

I just took his pictures, sorted them out, did all the stuff that needed to be done to make them into cards.

The first thing was to choose which picture represented which card. That was the most fun bit. I really enjoyed doing that.

As much as possible I tried to use his pictures exactly as they stood. I felt that to do otherwise would be being un true to Beardsleys work.
But some had to have some cropping done to make them the correct proportions, some had to have extraneous back ground elements removed.
Then they needed to be resized to all be the same, and after that some needed a bit of cleaning up.
That's the sort of stuff I did to the pictures themselves.

Then they had to be framed and numbered and titled.

But my main job was actually making them as cards. Printing, laminating, cutting, packaging.

I hope that those that have seen the cards and who are also familiar with Beardsleys work, feel that I have used his pictures well, and that I have remained true to the original drawings.

Beardsley is my all time favourite artist, and even pictures of his that I have seen loads of times can still take my breath away. This deck was created as, and was always intended to be, my homage to him and his art.

Did I draw it?
No! I wish!
In my dreams I could only hope to draw half as well as that.

Lillie

Hi Prudence.

No. There will never be a 78 card version.
Not by me.

But if someone else did one I would be very interested in getting a copy. :)

22 cards pre deck is all I could ever hope to be able to deal with.
I'm doing all this at home, cutting them all with scissors.
I'm just not set up to do huge amounts of cards.
Also I think that 78 cards would be just too expensive to do.

Bat Chicken

Lillie draws very well.
Her cards for last year's ATF Tarot Project were stunning! I would also purchase a Lillie drawn deck if I ever go the chance!!

gregory

Lillie said:
I hope that those that have seen the cards and who are also familiar with Beardsley's work, feel that I have used his pictures well, and that I have remained true to the original drawings.
Yes you have, on both counts. It's brilliant.

But you CAN SO draw. I wish I could do so a hundredth as well.....