What Was Your Very First Tarot Deck You Got?

Rhiamon

my first deck was RWS, although it didn't interest me all that much at first. I still don't like reading with it now that I have many more decks that I like better, but I still have it ;)

Khaelo

first deck

Robin Wood, when I was 18. After doing some research, I decided that I wanted something "normal" to learn on but didn't like the RWS artwork. The Robin Wood worked wonderfully. I don't use it much anymore, though. The Universal Waite helped me get over the aesthetics of the RWS. ;) But Robin Wood still has a special place for me. I only recently acquired the companion book, and her detailed commentary on each image is leading me to look at my first deck all over again. :)

Emeraldgirl

My first deck was the Mythic. i got it when I was 11 off a friend's mum who started teachong me how to read with it. Unfortunately my family moved away and so I never finished my lessons with her so the deck got to do a lot of "will he ask me out?" type readings through the teenage years was put away for a while and now is back out and about and happily living with all the other decks in my collection.

WolfSpirit

It must be cool if your first deck was the Swedish Witch or the Tarot for Cats :)

My first was the RWS, it was the only one my bookshop had (it has a few more now but not many) and I did not like it for a long time, but now I am glad I kept it because it is kind of odd: it is with Dutch titles and no mention of US Games, it is also a very different card stock - not very good, but oh well that gives it that "used look" :laugh:

Sulis

My first deck was Tarot of the Cat People - I got it in my 20s. Didn't use it but I used to like to look through it from time to time.
When I eventually got a deck to use it was the Witches Tarot by Elen Cannon-Reed but the fire/swords, wands/air thing really confused me.

Back to the shop I went and got myself a New Palladini :)
Finally a deck I could work with.....
I never read with that one now - I find the images a little cold - it is beautiful though.

Love

Sulis xx

weaver

My very first deck was The Daughters of the Moon. I loved the deck's rich colors and thought the idea of a round deck was quite wonderful. I worked with it and Motherpeace for years. I simply didn't resonate with the Rider-Waite-Smith artwork and, though I have developed a true respect for the deck's amazing symbolism, still don't.

Though I have moved on to working fairly exclusively with rectangular Rider-Waite clones, I still have a fondness for the Daughters of the Moon. I guess it is rather like a first love. It is special!
weaver

Arcana

My first deck was the Thoth, which I bought about 5 1/2 years ago. I loved the images, but it didn't take long to figure out this wasn't the best deck for me to start off with. Way too symbolic. So I first took some time studying the theoretical side of the tarot, and then I bought the RWS to practise on. It wasn't until I felt I was starting to get the hang of it, that I got myself a deck I really loved: the Sacred Circle. That's still my favourite (apart from the one I'm creating myself... ;) ).

Akka

I was about 35. A friend gave me a reading, never before had known anything about Tarot. And it went into my bones. I was in awe. The deck was Mythic Tarot. I made my first visit to a new age shop and get the only copy from the back room. The accompanying book was my ABC book for a long time. It's psychological point of view impressed me deeply then.

bleuivy

Oh! I wish my first deck stories were as fun as some of yours. My first deck was the Johnathan Dee Tarot (aka Barnes and Noble Tarot). I saw it (in Barnes and Noble, of course, lol), thought that tarot could be a fun thing to learn, and bought it on the spot. I was 19-ish.

I opened the cards and immediately disliked them. I couldn't understand the artwork, though I actually connected to the non-illustrated pip cards better than the Majors.

The second deck I bought was the Thoth. I researched and researched before I bought my second deck after being burned by the impulse buy that brought me the Johnathan Dee. I actually read with the Thoth for a while, but I'm beginning to see that I haven't even scratched te surface of what the deck is capable of.

My third deck was the Universal Waite, which I read with for a little while, but became uninterested in it, and went through about 3 years with no tarot at all.

This past Christmas, I bought myself the Gilded, and I've been hooked ever since! :D

cyclamen

When I was 13 or 14, I got myself the Light and Shadow deck because I liked the artwork. I played with it a lot, did readings for my friends, then moved away, and my family all became Christians, and I burned the poor deck. But when I got interested in tarot again this year, I ended up getting the Light and Shadow again, because I just really connected with the artwork.

My mom and brother are pretty nonchalant about the fact that I've picked up the cards again (even though I told my mom that I don't tell the future with them, she still refers to them as my "fortune telling") - and my brother and I had a great time laying them out and telling stories with them. My husband has even seen them, but I'm not sure of what he really thinks.... :) I've gotten a few other decks since that I like, but I think the L&S is so far the only permanent member of my collection.