What would you say is the scariest/creepiest Tarot deck?

Emily

Deviant Moon and some of the cards on here have been creepy. But I am going to show you a card I think is creepmongus

http://a2.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/24/2be253af1d484fe88d6164882be81dad/l.jpg
Yikes and I get creeped out with the RWS cards. I have no idea why!

I really like the Morgan Greer Devil, it's so completely different from other Devil cards and also it took me straight back to my childhood and all the Dennis Wheatley books I loved so much. I don't have the Giger but I like fantasy art so I find it interesting but not scary.

There are quite a few decks I don't like because of the artwork but the only one I do find truly creepy still is the New Orleans Voodoo. A few weeks ago I was going through my decks and found the book to the voodoo and started to read through it. In the book are black and white images of the cards and I was fine until I opened a page and that bloody card stared straight back at me - the Cup Ace - not called that in the voodoo, and although it's been quite a few years since that card scared and affected me, the memories came back, the headache, the card image gently swaying, eyes staring - mine and the snakes. Something changed in the room, I went cold, it didn't feel right.

I shut the book and put it back in the drawer, I didn't even get to find the deck. That night I dreamt of snakes, not a nightmare just a really strange dream. I have no idea why the deck gets to me, it's not really threatening just really disturbing. It disturbs me because I'm pretty level headed and nothing fazes me, not usually. The level headed part of me tells me they are just card and ink, the other part isn't so sure. I can't even sell it on because I want to know what it is about the deck that gets to me.

Celtictarot

I also get creeped out with CGI art for some reason. Legacy of the Divine and Gilded Tarot decks as a result don't appeal to me, sorry Ciro!!

Hanson - Roberts and the Aquarian tarot's faces, oh my gawd, what the?

Also the 3 of Cauldrons (cups) from the tarot of the old path, it's her teeth!

http://www.learntarot.com/opc3.gif

Aeric

The Devil card is the only one I find problematic about the Morgan-Greer because it's so incongruous with the others. Otherwise it's quite a lovely deck.

I can't say that I've found any particular deck scary or creepy to the point where I'm intimidated to use it. It's only that I don't gravitate to the themes of certain decks and can't relate to their symbols or ideas. Every deck, even ones marketed as dark and sombre and visceral, resonates with certain people. Sometimes a person may use a deck because she's in a certain mood, when she may not typically use it otherwise.

But Tarot decks are so multitudinous that I see them no differently from scary movies. They only intimidate you until you see [use] them a few times, and then the fright evaporates when you know what to expect.

Emily

I have to agree with the Hanson Roberts being creepy. I think it's because some of the cards look very child-like but some of the expressions are very creepy.

Emily

They only intimidate you until you see [use] them a few times, and then the fright evaporates when you know what to expect.

Maybe I should try that with the New Orleans Voodoo - well try with the book first then slowly move back onto the cards.

Celtictarot

l truly understand your feelings about that card, its the intense stare of those eyes like there burning into your soul, shudder...

It is the eyes which does it for me, please do one prank me with that card in the middle of the night LOL

FallynRaiyn

I just got the hanson-roberts deck a week or so ago and i've really fallen in love with it. It's so strange that that deck has so many different responses to it. A lot of people seem to not like it because it's too soft and flowery and doesn't seem to say much that hits hard..... others find it inherently creepy...... for me, i love that it's soft and flowery but the faces are also so expressive that you can really feel the emotions of the cards. Maybe that is what is creepy about them for other people.

Tarot Orat

My two favorite decks of all time are both pretty darn creepy...the night after I got each of them, I dreamed about the cards...strange disturbing dreams, but that told me that I needed to work with them!

VGimlet already mentioned the Dark Carnival; my current favorite. I've never had a big clown phobia so it's not as bad for me as for others, but there are some seriously spooky wraiths and zombies, and oh Lord, the Hierophant/Ringmaster. He is CRAZY creepy! (I've been working very intensely on the card and now I rather like him but I definitely would not get anywhere near those pointy teeth or those yellow talon-nails...) He's not in the Aeclectic preview so I attached a photo of him below.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/dark-carnival/

The other one I really love and studied intensively was the Templar Tarot by Allen Chester. Some of the cards are utterly beautiful, but a lot of them are creepy indeed....barren blasted landscapes, angels with withered wings, trees with roots that twine like a ball of serpents, bones growing out of the ground like a crop of death....

Dang, do I love it :D

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/templar/

Attachments

• dctrumps-05.jpg
    dctrumps-05.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 244