What would you say is the scariest/creepiest Tarot deck?

Starshower

Well said, FallynRaiyn:
" ... for me, i love that it's soft and flowery but the faces are also so expressive that you can really feel the emotions of the cards. Maybe that is what is creepy about them for other people."

I agree! Whilst many people are fine with stylised, CGI or exaggerated & extreme images (not me, usually!) it might be the actual real emotions portrayed so transparently here that many people find scary to face. So many people hide their feelings & put on masks, especially in public, and are only used to over-acted pseudo-emotions in movies. So getting a glimpse of caught-in-the-raw responses can frighten them. That's my guess anyway.

The insecty deck was creepy to me: "Secret Forest". I loved the idea of it, but some of the swarmy images made my skin crawl & itch & even come up in a rash! I traded it away.

I think my very creepiest deck, which gave me nightmares and I GAVE away asap, was the Celestial. Those sickly, pasty flesh-tones looked so unhealthy and I didn't like all the loomingness. :-o

Tarot Orat

The insecty deck was creepy to me: "Secret Forest". I loved the idea of it, but some of the swarmy images made my skin crawl & itch & even come up in a rash! I traded it away.

OOOOHhhhhhh! I love insects. (I'm crazy, I know :laugh: ) Buying the Secret Forest as soon as my paycheck clears....thanks :)

Freddie

Tarot Orat, 'Templar Tarot' looks like a good one, despite it looking a tad bit scary.

I find that I am slightly drawn to decks I find scary, but something makes me resist buying them. 'Tarot of the Cat People' is a good example as I love cats and the general mystical artwork of the deck. The images appear dark and a little scary to me, but I find them magnetic at the same time.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/tarot-of-cat-people/

Freddie

DeToX

I personally do not find any tarot deck scary or creepy. Those that are often deemed disturbing - I find interesting. However, I do welcome decks that are challenging psychologically to look at, not necessarily all about goth, gore or horror. I am always on the lookout for challenging tarot art and will always keep my eyes open.

share3

I also get creeped out with CGI art for some reason. Legacy of the Divine and Gilded Tarot decks as a result don't appeal to me, sorry Ciro!!

Hanson - Roberts and the Aquarian tarot's faces, oh my gawd, what the?

Also the 3 of Cauldrons (cups) from the tarot of the old path, it's her teeth!

http://www.learntarot.com/opc3.gif

Funny, I love the Aquarian's faces. That's a deck I regret selling long ago, and recently when I thought about it, I realized that the faces were one of the things I liked about it, and I would judge future decks by the faces too.

I agree about CGI art though. Still waiting to see one that I would really like.

Metal Queen

A macabre Gem!

I was drifting around the threads at random several months ago-when I stumbled upon The Savage Tarot.
This is a phenomenally creative deck depicting powerful images that explore the darker aspects of the psyche. It can be described as "creepy","scary,"etc for obvious reasons and somebody who also likes it described it as a deck that looks like it was created by Marilyn Manson and Hellraiser.
The link is http://michellex.com/design/tarot/

I think this one has an even more nihilistic feel than Tarot of Baphomet in some ways because the images are more tortured and visceral.A very different deck indeed!

Metal Queen

correction

...I meant that Savage Tarot was described as looking like it could have been made by Marilyn Manson and the CREATOR of Hellraiser ( that would be the hugely talented author Clive Barker )....

LassTira

Savage Tarot..

I want this deck. Emailing the sales representative now....Want want want...HOWEVER....Deviant Moon scares the beejesus out of me...>_> Go Figure...xD

Celtictarot

I want this deck. Emailing the sales representative now....Want want want...HOWEVER....Deviant Moon scares the beejesus out of me...>_> Go Figure...xD

Me too!

LassTira

Savage!

Gah! Can't seem to find a copy..!!