The Transparent Tarot is HERE!!!

Marli

MI Question for Rodney

rwcarter said:
I now know why I felt the need to "start over" with the deck. I'd missed some of the reversed cards yesterday. I'm not using reversals with this double deck, but instead will use standard images (SI) and mirror images (MI). That idea speaks to me more than using reversals does.

Rodney

Rodney,

Could you tell me more about the MI with the 2 decks, as I would like to try it as well, but am not too sure I understand what you are doing fully..

I never use reversals no matter what deck I'm using - so I can totally relate to that..

Also I did my first reading last night FR style - this deck is soooooo cool!!

All Is One

Marli said:
Rodney,

Could you tell me more about the MI with the 2 decks, as I would like to try it as well, but am not too sure I understand what you are doing fully..

I never use reversals no matter what deck I'm using - so I can totally relate to that..

Also I did my first reading last night FR style - this deck is soooooo cool!!

I also never use reversals, but as for "mirror images" I think he means turning the card over and using it that way. As opposed to a reversed card, which is upside down.

I may be wrong....I'm the "peanut gallery" :D

Marli

All Is One said:
I also never use reversals, but as for "mirror images" I think he means turning the card over and using it that way. As opposed to a reversed card, which is upside down.

I may be wrong....I'm the "peanut gallery" :D

That's what I thought - but wanted to be sure! Thanks for that! and just for the record.... I'm also a part of the peanut gallery:)

rwcarter

Ladies,

The peanut gallery was in reference to comments about how many copies of this deck I've bought. :D Otherwise, we're all students of tarot in my book!

Marli and AIO, yes, by mirror image, I mean literally flipping the card so that the image is a mirror of what it would normally be. I'll explain by example for those who have the deck.

The SI for Judgement has the phoenix's beak pointing to the left. The MI has the beak pointing to the right.

The SI for the Knights and Queens point to the left, while the MI for those cards point to the right.

The SI for the figure in the 7 Wands has him/her fighting off to the right side of the card. The MI has the figure fighting off to the left side of the card.

Using the 7W for example, if both the SI and MI of the card appeared in the same CI, that might be a suggestion that one has to fight from all sides or that one has help from another in protecting one's flank. Those interpretations aren't possible (at least not that I see) using reversed images.

HTH,
Rodney

Marli

rwcarter said:
Ladies,

The peanut gallery was in reference to comments about how many copies of this deck I've bought. :D Otherwise, we're all students of tarot in my book!

Marli and AIO, yes, by mirror image, I mean literally flipping the card so that the image is a mirror of what it would normally be. I'll explain by example for those who have the deck.

The SI for Judgement has the phoenix's beak pointing to the left. The MI has the beak pointing to the right.

The SI for the Knights and Queens point to the left, while the MI for those cards point to the right.

The SI for the figure in the 7 Wands has him/her fighting off to the right side of the card. The MI has the figure fighting off to the left side of the card.

Using the 7W for example, if both the SI and MI of the card appeared in the same CI, that might be a suggestion that one has to fight from all sides or that one has help from another in protecting one's flank. Those interpretations aren't possible (at least not that I see) using reversed images.

HTH,
Rodney

Thanks for that Rodney,

And I also agree with you guys about using single cards.. why would anyone? that's what we have "other" decks for.. ;)

rwcarter

Shuffling for my daily draw made me realize that what I'd come up with here just wasn't going to work for me (at least not for daily draws). So I have modified it:

I understand that I am shuffling with the cards face up instead of face down as in a non-transparent deck. (Personally, I love this realization! I purposely didn't use the word "regular" because that might imply that the TT is "irregular" in the negative sense of the word. Dividing tarot decks into transparent and non-transparent categories highlights the fact that there's only one transparent deck on the market right now and all the others can't play on the same field with it! :D)

+ Divide the deck into two stacks with my left hand. * Cut one stack in half and mirror image the top half into my right hand. Pick up remaining half with my left hand and shuffle the two halves together. Cut the stack in half a second time and shuffle the two halves together without MIing the cards. Cut the stack in half a final time, MIing the bottom half into my left hand and shuffle the two halves together. (3 shuffles) **

Rep from * to ** for the remaining stack. (3 more shuffles) Shuffle both stacks together once without MIing either stack. (7 shuffles)++

Rep from + to ++ 2 more times. 7x3 = 21 shuffles, which is the number I learned with and that always felt right.

Cut with my left hand into three piles and select one pile. The top card from that pile becomes the bottom of the CI. The top card from the right most pile becomes the middle layer. The top card from the left most pile becomes the top layer.

For my daily draw, I'm done. If I decide to pursue this method for a larger number of CIs, I would pick up the stack I selected and place it to the far left, then the right most stack would end up in the middle and the left most stack would end up on the right. I would then assemble the CIs as shown below (assuming a 3 CI reading):

...............P1.....P2.....P3
CI3...........7.......8......9.
CI2...........4.......5......6.
CI1...........1.......2......3.

So Pile 1 would always comprise the bottom layer of the CI, Pile 2 would comprise the middle layer and Pile 3 would comprise the top layer. (I might swap the positions of Piles 1 and 3. I'll have to see how it feels.)

In fact the whole process may change again as I get used to using this deck, which is causing me to rethink my tarot processes before it makes me rethink how I interpret the tarot images! :laugh:

Rodney

Formicida

My copy arrived yesterday.

I've been awaiting this deck with quiet excitement for what feels like ages. I've never pre-ordered anything before, and I don't think I'm likely to again. I think it's the most exciting thing to happen in Tarot since Pamela Coleman-Smith started drawing people doing things on (almost) every card. (Not that I was there to be excited by that :))

I was disappointed by the UPS delivery person, who just set the package outside my door without even knocking on the door, much less leaving it at the office with a note, as they're supposed to. I was also a little disturbed that the sticky tabs holding the top of the box on were unstuck, and the paper band around the cards was broken. I don't know whether to hope that it was careless packaging or that someone was looking through it when they weren't supposed to. All of the cards are there and they're not particularly scratched, so I'm not too fussed about it.

(I also didn't notice the film that some people are talking about, for what that's worth.)

So that's the bad stuff. The good things are harder to talk about. This is one deck that I had to shuffle and start laying out right away. Normally I would spend some time looking through the individual cards, but this deck doesn't really show its true colors with single cards. So I made sure they were all there and then started shuffling. I don't normally riffle shuffle my decks, but this one seems to call for it.

These cards are just as amazing as I imagined them. The card combinations speak to me easily and add so much depth and a wealth of information to each position. I suspect that this deck will turn out to be good at dissecting conflicted states of mind and unconscious desires, since there are lots of ways to have people overlapping with each other, seemingly ignoring each other, and so forth.

Since any given spread position is likely to involve multiple human figures, I think this deck may turn out to work best for questions about relationships--any type of relationship with other people, or your relationship with yourself. I guess another way to think about this would be that relationships are the lens through which your questions are likely to be answered.

My only real complaint is the way that the borders don't line up quite right. I'm glad I was warned about that here before I got the deck, because I was prepared and not quite so disappointed. It isn't that hard to line them up right, but if your stack gets disarranged it would be easier if you could line up the physical cards. Not a big deal, but slightly irritating. (This really makes me understand why publishers say that the inaccuracy of the cutting process makes making borderless decks difficult. I don't think I'll be demanding borderless decks after this! :))

rwcarter

Daily Draw Thread is Open For Business!

Daily Draw thread can be found here. Hope everyone visits and participates!

Rodney

rwcarter

Formicida said:
I was also a little disturbed that the sticky tabs holding the top of the box on were unstuck, and the paper band around the cards was broken. I don't know whether to hope that it was careless packaging or that someone was looking through it when they weren't supposed to.
Formicida, the tabs have been broken on both sets that I've opened. Didn't think it was a big deal, so I didn't mention it. I don't think the adhesive they used is strong enough to survive the jostling that occurs in the shipping process.

Formicida said:
All of the cards are there and they're not particularly scratched, so I'm not too fussed about it.

(I also didn't notice the film that some people are talking about, for what that's worth.)
Hold some of the cards up to a light source (as opposed to against the white cloth) and see if that's still true.

Formicida said:
I don't normally riffle shuffle my decks, but this one seems to call for it.
I can riffle shuffle 208 (4 decks worth of) playing cards, but I can't easily do it to 156 (2 decks worth of) TT cards! One deck is no problem though! :D

Formicida said:
These cards are just as amazing as I imagined them. The card combinations speak to me easily and add so much depth and a wealth of information to each position. I suspect that this deck will turn out to be good at dissecting conflicted states of mind and unconscious desires, since there are lots of ways to have people overlapping with each other, seemingly ignoring each other, and so forth.
Mirror image some of the cards and the possibilities increase exponentially.

Formicida said:
My only real complaint is the way that the borders don't line up quite right.
I'm seeing more and more as I use the cards that the difference can be quite noticeable. I'll have to measure the next one I notice, but it looked like it was a whole 1/16" off although it may have only been 1/32" off.

The difference doesn't bother me that much in CIs cause the offset could add some extra visual interest, especially when using two decks together. Imagine having two of the same card in the same orientation appear in the same CI and one is raised (or lowered) just slightly from the other, almost like an apparition or shadow....

But it would really bother me in Film Strips (FSs) because I'd have to do a lot of extra fiddling with the cards to get them to properly line up.

Rodney

rwcarter

Kimber posted this in the Pre-Order thread, but I thought I'd answer her (?) here since this is more of the discussion thread for the deck:

Kimber said:
I was wondering how it was going to work as more cards got stacked together; I really like the 3 card "limit", because you can still see how the cards work together without the images being too cluttered.
While there is an upper limit to the number of cards that can be layered and still be seen, that number is a lot higher than 3. (FYI, at least for now, I'm sticking with 3 card CIs.) Barbaras Ahajusts posted a scan of I believe the Pentacles suit (14 cards) all CId together. And I've put all 22 Majors together. Yes, it is a busy image, but I could see both the top and bottom images.

Something else just occurred to me as I was typing this :!: Especially in today's fast-paced world a lot of people's lives are cluttered! If one of us were doing a reading for someone who felt overburdened, it might be a useful exercise to (have that person) pick say 20 cards and either layer them one at a time until the image started to get cluttered (and possibly continue until the image got too cluttered to see) or peel off cards until the image got uncluttered. In the first case, you could be identifying the things that clutter a person's life and in the second, you could be identifying the things that persons needs to get rid of or do to unclutter their life!

Em, thanks yet again for creating such a multi-faceted deck!

Rodney