78 Weeks: Hermit

_N_

The LWB that comes with the Radiant RW says
Prudence, also and especially treason, dissimulation, corruption, roguery. reversed Concealment, disguise, policy, fear, unreasoned caution.
I don't agree with most of it ;)

N

TemperanceAngel

_N_ said:
The LWB that comes with the Radiant RW says I don't agree with most of it ;)
Neither do I, so I would throw it away if I was you }) XTAX

smleite

Originally posted by Major Tom
For me, The Hermit at VIIII is at the end of a cycle.

I see several “ends” and “beginnings” of cycles in the group of 22 major cards. As Major Tom pointed out, VIIII is the number of a cycle end; X, obviously, is a number of completion and new beginning. But then I see XII as another end; 12 is a number that symbolizes totality, as in the 12 tribes of Israel, or the 12 gates of the Heavenly Jerusalem, or in the Zodiac, or in the 12 months of the year… and 13 is again the number of a complete cycle and the beginning of a new one. And we also have cards number XVIIII, XX and XXI, hard to analyze here, but also related to completion, a new cycle, and something more – a word beyond cycles.

With this, I just wanted to situate The Hermit as something I would call the end of the first cycle depicted in the 22 majors of Tarot. For some people, these first cycle of ten cards is related to the Cabbala and the ten sephiroth, but the explanation of this system probably has no place in this thread. As far as I know, in Cabbala each thing is considered to have nine reflections of itself, and these reflections add to the “original” thing to form a whole, or a complete cycle, resumed in number ten. Anyway, this would mean that The Hermit is a reflection of Le Bateleur (I always write some cards names in English and others in French, sorry if it sounds weird), which is the first card of the cycle.

People here have probably discussed this question already, but I just wanted to give you my feelings about the card. I’m not talking about the traditional relations connecting the first ten cards and the sephiroth, although they are rather interesting; it is this card’s position, as the “last” reflection of card number I, that strikes me the most here. As a last reflection, he looks back: almost in the top (card X, or the top of the wheel, or Kether, in cabalistic terms), or almost in the point were one can see the whole pattern of the world, he looks back in order to have a final glimpse of his life. Looking to this card, that has haunted me a lot in the last days, I see him like a soul that was reborn life after life, and that is now at the end of the cycle of incarnation, gathering all information received in the past experiences, in order to actualize it and unify all his material reflections. Learn with past experiences; realize that they are part of you, though they are not you.

_N_

TemperanceAngel said:
Neither do I, so I would throw it away if I was you }) XTAX

My thoughts exactly on more than just the RW meanings for the Hermit. I find that Waite so heavily tainted his thoughts/interpretations of the cards with a Christian slant as well as personal bias that many of the meanings listed in the LWB fly right in the face of what my personal intuition has seen in the cards - and seen correctly most of the time ;)

N

rcb30872

Radiant Rider-Waite

IX - The Hermit

LWB

Prudence, also and especially treason, dissimulation, corruption and roguery

My Impressions
The card depicts night time, the man appears to be middle aged with a moustache and long beard, with a dark robe with a hood. In one hand he is holding a staff and in the other hand he is holding a lantern. The thing inside the lantern which is providing the light is a STAR!! I don't believe it, I have had this deck for a long time, it is the first time that I noticed that it is a star.

A thing to note that he appears to be standing on what can be seen as snow. Snow may make him think that he is left out in the cold, or perhaps has been given the cold shoulder. It also indicates that in some sense that he is out, exposed to the elements, without any shelter or protection except for the clothes he is wearing. If that is the case, then in some way that can make him feel lonely and isolated.

But on the other hand, even if he is alone, doesn't necessarily mean that he is lonely. It could be the fact that he may prerfer to have his solitude, in the sense that he likes to keep his own company, and not particularly liking anyone around him at this time. During those times when he is in solitude he can quietly get on with what he is doing. The staff could be seen as a wand, in which case it could mean that in fact he is doing something. Also, during this time he can spend time to think about where he is at the moment and where he would want to be. He seems to be in some meditative state, in which case he is in the process of introspection and retrospection so that he can gain more awareness of who he is.

So the fact that the staff can be seen as a wand, then that would indicate that he is acting on his ideas, thoughts and concepts to make something concrete. But, since the card is depicting night time, then this would indicate that the path that he is on is not clear, and that he may be a bit uncertain. However, he has a guiding light which wills how him where he is on the path, and will allow him to see his way forward. By the fact that it is a star indicates his hopes and dreams for a brighter future, as well as his Spirit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Golden Tarot of Klimt

IX - The Hermit

LWB

Solitude, meditation, reserve and wisdom

My Impressions
Here we have an elderly man who is naked, with his hands behind his back, and his head down. So the fact that he is elderly, seems to give me the indication of wisdom, I don't really know why. Probably because he has had a wealth of experiences in life which has given him the opportunity to learn from these experiences.

The sort of stance he has taken almost seems like he is praying. Probably isn't, but could be, so if that is the case then that would point at spirituality. So by praying, not only is he asking fro answers to particular situations in life, but could also seen as showing gratitude. At the same time, it could probably seen as a meditative state, in which case he is seeking the answers from within himself rather than the Higher Powers. But having said that, could be seen as a bit of both.

With his hands behind his back seems to me to be a sign of respect. But at the same time he is holding his hands then that could indicate that there are certain issues that he will stay out of, as in the sense his "hands are tied". Another way of looking at the fact that he is looking down can be seen as a sigh tha the may want to try not to be noticed by others. Trying to blend into the background, if you like

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Numerological - Nine
Humanitarian, faced with endings and beginnings, compassionate, tolerant, wise, dedicated and happy. They have so much knowledge to teach and they enjoy doing this, as it provides them with a great sense of accomplishment. 9's are people of few words although they choose them rather carefully when it actually comes to getting their message across. They are well read and able to store any information both quickly and easily. It is so importnat for them to find inner happiness as it ensures that their cup is always full. They will find that throughout their lives, other people will be drawn to them because of their wisdom and understanding. 9's are the only number who have what it takes to go all the way to the top, or they can find a cubby hole and stop off for awhile in order to contemplate things. It is up to them to decide just how many ladders they wish to climb in life and this will become apparent as they become older. Any major successes will usually come later on and they are certainly well earned on their behalf. They need to make sure that they are happy and content with whatever they choose to do as this will be the true measure of their success.

Astrological - Virgo
Virgoans are people of may parts, complex thoughts and intermingling structure. Not may can truly figure them out because they live so much through their inner being. The impression they give out and what is going out in their minds are often poles apart. Virgoans keeps the secrets of who they really are deep inside. Moral issues seems to have a special importance when it comes to Virgos. They may choose to follow some strange pathways in life, because they wish to avoid temptation. They usually have high standards when it comes to what they consider right or nice. They are prepared to put in the time, energy and study to reach their goals. Virgoans probably don't show it, but their fear of chasing pipe dreams and falling pey to foolishness is almost always lurking in the back of their mind. They usually have a clear sense of what they would love to do, be and have in their lives, but if they fear that vision isn't attainable they can become depressed and even more critical of themselves. Their quiet nature helps them to hide their concerns but people who know them well also know how much they worry. Take a deep breath and look at how attainable even their wildest dreams really are. They use some objectivity to open their eyes to the fact that worrying does little more than burn energy and fill their mind with smoke. Some of life's most impossible dreams have a way of becoming reality for those who really believe they can.

Bec

arachnophobia

The thing I like about this card in the Voodoo Tarot of New Orleans

http://taroteca.multiply.com/photos/photo/165/19.jpg

seems that it does not represent just the traditional 'wise old man' (who also appears inside the album cover of Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven, by the way!) lol

In this card, we gain a glimpse of the ritual seclusion undergone by prospective initiates before they have the Mysteries revealed (not answered or explained). This card depicts ritual gestation and birth, i.e. a safe, secluded, womb-like, ritual space. The candidates share a common dormitory, but seem obviously isolated, by the silence, in their own private worlds of "memories, dreams, reflections" (to borrow a phrase from Jung!). They lie in fetal posture, each cared for by his or her sponsor. A chicken lies at the feet of each, and organic matter anoints their foreheads, indicating the interdependence of all life, i.e. even our rebirth into a more spiritual plane seems dependent on other lives that have gone before. The chickens symbolize both slaughter and sacrifice, i.e. they feed the divine within the candidate, as well as later finding themselves cooked to feed the human, reminding us graphically that life feeds on life, even in the spiritual domain... ;-))

gregory

Posting several cards at once while I can get on line !

THE HERMIT – Revelations Tarot
First impressions

The colouring and general appearance are very peaceful, restful. It is a night card. It doesn’t feel lonely to me.

From the book:
Upright[/b]
He resides in the darkness of solitude. He finds comfort in his reflection. The only light, which guides his path, is the brilliance of his lantern.
When representing the self, this card highlights the need to become reclusive. It signifies time needed to be spent by yourself to reflect, contemplate, and understand. This card suggests a path toward the understanding that comes from spiritual doctrines, philosophy, and meditation. This will be a period of peace and with little to no interruptions.
When representing an individual, this card often signifies a teacher, someone wiser, or an old soul who can point you in the right direction. Often only advice is given by this person, as wisdom is acquired through experience.
In a situation, this card acts as a warning for careless and thoughtless actions. It recommends wisdom and forethought before making a decision. As much time as is needed is to be taken to be able to see the situation from every angle and to fully understand the scope of things.
Reversed
He runs away from everything. He turns away from life. He must retreat for his own good.
Here the card reflects the need to run away from situations and to hide from facing problems. Here escape is what the hermit seeks from the troubles on his shoulders.
In an individual, this card represents a person who is unable to face or deal with his or her demons. This person fills his or her life full of distractions and excuses, which only makes his or her burden more difficult to carry as time passes. This person does not listen to any advice, blinded by fear and comforted by seclusion. This person may even be afraid of being around others and chooses to shun society.
In a situation, this card advises acknowledging the issues at hand and facing the facts that need to be dealt with. It is time to stop running away, as well as to place the distractions in your life aside.

Images and Symbolism
The druids on the card represent knowledge and traditions of old.
The hermit finds himself alone in a mountainous area. This signifies his quest for knowledge, which one has to take alone. These are the same mountains that can be found on the Fool card.
The Star of David illuminates the hermit's path, which represents the use of knowledge and wisdom to illuminate his long journey ahead.
The image of the clock denotes the passing of time and its importance to the meaning of the card. In this case, the clock has no hands, which indicates that time is standing still.
The snakes that coil around the hermit's staff represent his knowledge of medicinal remedies.
On the reverse, the hermit struggles on a path on top of the mountains, the wind blowing him forcefully along. This signifies an enforced retreat in which even the universe takes an active role.
Behind him the path is overcast with faint shadows, which form no specific shape. This signifies a dark and difficult jour¬ney should he depend only on his sense of sight.

Traditional meanings
Upright:
Counsel, inner strength, prudence, caution, vigilance, patience, withdrawal, annulment, a loner.
Reversed: Imprudence, hastiness, rashness, foolish acts, immaturity.

My impressions
Upright it is a fairly traditional card. An old man with a long white beard carries a staff with two live snakes on it and a gorgeous lantern with a six-pointed star in it. He stands in a purple mountainous landscape. He looks thoughtful. In the centre of the card (serving both upright and reversed images) is a clock with no hands and metal cog wheels. It bears Hebrew (?) symbols.
Reversed the hermit has no lantern, and leans heavily on his staff. He looks exhausted and lost; his face is worn and tired. His hair and beard are fling wildly; the weather must be bad. The sky is dark and shadowy; it is a scary image.
Being alone in the mountains can be enriching and valuable or it can bring panic and fear. It can be a difficult path either way, but it may bring benefits in terms of self knowledge and understanding, or instead bitterness and sorrow.

All the cards from this deck can be viewed here.

yakn

78 Weeks The Hermit

The Hermit from Rider Tarot:

The background is grey as in a grey and sad misty fog of nothingness. There seems to be nothing in this fog because at his feet it shows the very narrow plateau he stands on that is as high as if not higher than the bare glimps of the snowwhite mountains in the distance. Even the narrow flat rock on the mountain top which he stands is grey except for the white patch of snow under his feet. Cold and bare.

So cold, so sad, so alone deep within himself for such a long long time, for the beard is long and white so is his hair.

The grey hooded robe hangs limply yet in such straight lines on him down to his grey shod feet. There has been extremely lean times and aloneness. Yet such a straight erect posture for his back is straight and refuses to slump as if from deep inner spiritual strength, not physical strength holds him straight.

With head bowed, eyes closed, right hand lifted high holding his lantern that glows a yellow gold warm light to guide him out of this sloitude, the light will show him the true path to follow. The golden staff that is strong, staight and as tall as he is will keep his steps steady. He will NOT fall.

Faithfully, trusting in the light and the strength of the staff his steps will not falter and he will come out of this time of solitude changed forever and with a deeper stronger spirit and inner strength.

"Thy Lilght and thy Staff shall guide me of whome shall I be afraid" verse pops to mind.

All distraction and chaos had to be stripped away to the core for the strength within and growth to begin. For the faith and the spirit and soul to grow.

Tesseljoan

78 Weeks – Lermite

The Hermite protects his lantern with his cloak. The outside world cannot see his lantern, and the Hermit doesn’t illuminate the world with it either. A hermit seeks solitude in order to find enlightenment. He carries and stares into his own light. What does he hope to find there? It reminds me of candle-meditations, where one meditates on a candle flame. I couldn’t do it for too long, the after image of the flame became very disturbing. I suppose the Hermite is (at least temporarily) blinded by his own light. But to be honest, it is a very small light compared to the one I think he is searching for. When we go deep inside ourselves, we might become illuminated. But this process is separate and invisible from the outside world. I believe that we cannot shield ourselves from the world in order to become enlightened.

The hermite is also carrying a staff, which is clearly functioning as a walking stick. He is old and hunched, and probably blinded by the light. That is all the world can see: a silly old man, with physical limitations. In reality, he has more wisdom about himself than most.

Not only does he remind me of father Time, but also of Diogenes. One of his antics (amongst many) was to go out with a lantern on daytime looking for an honest man. What on earth did Diogenes mean by that? Most interpretations I’ve seen seem to say that Diogenes meant an honest man was hard to find. But the harder I think about it, the less it seems that his exempla meant that. Holding a lantern in broad daylight in order to find an honest man… Really, what did he mean by that?

I am also, but only vaguely, reminded of Plato’s cave. What happens if we, instead of looking at the shadows projected in front of us, look at the artificial light creating the shadows? It will definitely shed some light (excuse the pun) about the nature of reality. But we do need to climb out of the cave and experience the light of the sun. What the Hermite is doing is a step on th eway. But we’re not there yet.

Interesting questions to ponder: why do we reach old age so early in the deck? (and related to this, why do we die halfway through the deck?)

It’s been a very busy week, so no drawing for now. Instead, here’s a link to a painting from Ceasar van Everdingen, who transported the ancient Greek Diogenes to the Dam in Amsterdam in the 17th century (and he is looking a bit bewildered as a result).

http://www.wga.hu/frames-e.html?/html/e/everding/caesar/diogenes.html

Ceasar van Everdingen, Diogenes zoekt een mens (Diogenes seeks an honest man), 1652. Oil on wood, Mauritshuis, The Hague, The Netherlands.

nicky

RWS Hermit

09 The Hermit
The Magus of the Voice of Light, The Prophet of the Gods
Virgo
Yod
Earth
Path 20: 4 Chesed to 6 Tipareth - The Mercy of Beauty

Standing on the highest snow covered peak, our Hermit is holding up a lamp and carrying a staff. He is robed in grey, a reference to the blending of both black and white which he has managed to balance in his life. His lamp glows warmly for those who may need some guidance or a sign that they can too join him at these heights. The star in the lantern is the Light of the World, which also shines within us. His long white beard indicates he is old, perhaps the passing of time signifying his wisdom. Similarly, in some decks he carries an hourglass. He stands in the snow but appears to be comfortable.

In a reading: The Hermit is reminiscent of Diogenes, independent and virtuous. Just as the climb up the mountains takes work and commitment, so does the path for inner knowledge. The Hermit warns against hasty decisions. Listen to your intuition. The Hermit is introspective. Receiving/giving guidance, giving up distractions, meditation, wisdom; patience; analysis, values, research and study, problem solving, discipline or control, and patience. Answers from within. Solitude. In regards to people, the Hermit represents a wise, inspirational person, friend, teacher, therapist. The Hermit indicates a time of convalescence and rest.
Reversed: The Hermit can signify too much time alone. Someone who is withdrawn, paranoid, suffering panic attacks. Fear of intimacy. Can feel rejected or abandoned, reclusive, cut off from others. Retreating inwardly to escape reality. Isolation, self deception, depression, loneliness, confusion. One who keeps secrets. Impatience Bad decisions. A refusal to accept advice. Thoughtlessness. Getting or giving incorrect advice. A closed mind. Excessive caution. Reluctance to grow up.