78 Weeks: Hermit

yirabeth

The Gilded Tarot, by Ciro Marchetti

Card name - The Hermit

Card Image - http://s377.photobucket.com/albums/oo211/Yirabeth/Gilded Tarot/09Hermit.jpg

My impressions - The Hermit is my favorite card, I believe it signifies my own personal journey into my spiritual life, and my inner self. On this card we have a old man, long white hair and beard, holding a lantern before him. He stands on a narrow pathway, but the lantern lights his way. He has a walking stick to help steady his steps, and he wears a very full black robe and hooded cape. (hood down)The black of his robes signifies mystery, hidden knowledge. As I mentioned, he is an a narrow rocky path, it extends into the distance. The sky in the distance has an aurora effect of orange, yellow and blue -- signifying yellow for awareness, blue for truth, and orange for compassion. I like this look on these colors, although they can mean far more depending -- I see this man as a compassionate wise man, solitary, seeking his path, but willing to open up enough to share his knowledge if asked.

What the CREATOR says - The book says the red sash (which looks brown IMO) signifies the passion to learn.

Traditional meanings(Thirteen's ebook) - a desire for peace and solitude, There may be feelings of frustration and discontent during this time of withdrawal. But such times lead to enlightenment, illumination, clarity, a person who can shine a light on things that were previously mysterious and confusing.

Keyword Meanings(J.Bunning's ebook) - Being introspective, searching, giving and receiving guidance, seeking solitude.

Reversed Meanings (Thirteen's ebook) - untrustworthy teacher, left in darkness, lost his way/ability to find his own way.

Hedera

78 Weeks, the Hermit, Light & Shadow tarot.

Light & Shadow: The Hermit.

He looks very calm and very wise. He must be quite old, because his beard is so long it loops around him, but his face looks relatively young. He does have a lot of ‘thinking wrinkles’ on his forehead though; he has thought long and hard about serious matters in his life.

There is a snail with a third eye on his head, looking over him. I think it’s advising him to slow down.
The candle in his hand burns very brightly, which is a good thing because he is surrounded by dark and menacing thornbushes. He’s going to have to make his way through them (slowly!), in spite of the bird that is trying to warn him away.

At the heart of the candle, there’s a yin-yang symbol.

Beautiful card, one of my favorites in the deck! (picture or link to follow later in the week)

From the books:
Illumination from within. Retirement from participation in current events.
(alternative name: Rerum Edax - devourer of things)

Has also been interpreted as (Old Man) Time.
Sage, seeker after truth. Prudence.
Caution, deliberation.
In mystical titles, one of the three magi (other two are Magician and Hierophant).
Detachement. Contemplation.

Being alone: either literally or emotionally.
Wise person, who has gone through the process of (self-)discovery and can now help light our way.
Maturity and wisdom that come with age.
Someone going on a Shamanic trip.

Ms Pollack quoted from a book by Annie Dillard, “For the Time Being”, and I really liked that quote:

“Abott Lot came to Abott Joseph and said:
Father, according as I am able, I keep my little rules, and my little fast, my prayer, meditation, and contemplative silence. And according as I am able, I strive to cleanse my heart of thoughts. Now what more should I do?
The elder rose up in reply and stretched out his hands to Heaven, and his fingers became like ten lamps of fire. He said: Why not be totally changed into fire?”

jcwirish

The Hermit- Victoria Regina

Well, I love this card. An older man with a white beard stands in the foreground. He wears a hooded robe and balances a lantern on the index finger of is right hand. He holds a large fountain pen against his body with his other arm. His look is thoughtful as he gazes off to the left.

The Hermit is the old wise man, the sage, the shaman on a vision quest. He has intentionally isolated himself from the outside world, and is exploring his own inner wisdom and meditating on his ideas. This is a private spiritual quest, and he seeks no outside influences. This is a time to close all the books, ignore conventional wisdom, and find your own path to wisdom and knowledge.

He is alone in the world, but he is not lonely. He's blazing his own trail. This journey may be an internal one, or it may just be that you are wandering the world on your own. Either way, it's time to find yourself and trust you own inner voice.

Very often, this card refers to a need for spiritual solitude. You need to seek your own answers, and not look outside yourself for guidance. It's time to be your own teacher and find your own way.

jackdaw*

IX The Hermit (Rider Waite Tarot)

First Impressions
First impression: this card is so dull. Sandwiched in between the yellow and the blue of Strength and the Wheel of Fortune, between pretty ladies in their nightgowns and exotic sphinxes, there’s nothing really in the bluey-grays of this card to catch the eye. Old man in gray against a bare sky of a blah colour. Yawn.

What else? Well, the old man on the Hermit card seems introspective, turned inward. So inward, in fact, that he appears to be falling asleep. L’Hermite of the Tarot de Marseille seemed much more external in his manner: open-eyed, alert, seeking. But the Rider Waite’s Hermit is more clearly on a spiritual quest. He appears to be very, very old and frail. L’Hermite is old as well, but much more vigorous, hale and hearty. Perhaps it’s his age that makes the Hermit seem so weary. He’s old and frail and tired, and poor (I think; the limp way his cloak hangs on him makes me think that it’s of thin material). If someone is to be wise and experienced, he or she is usually depicted as old. But there’s also the notion that as the Hermit reaches the end of his life, he has more and more time and inclination to examine his life, his philosophy and what awaits him on the other side (much as I hate that expression). That is what this card is about: looking within, reflecting and deeper thought. And you can’t do that in a crowd. Maybe someone here can achieve enlightenment in the shopping mall’s food court, but I doubt that I could.

He holds a long staff that is, inexplicably, yellow. I thought first that he was leaning on it, further evidence of his age and frailty. But no, he seems actually to be holding it so it’s just touching or almost touching the ground, so he is supporting the weight of it. The black lantern in his other hand is open on all sides, but still seems to cast very little glow on the old man or his surroundings. What light there is is provided by a six-pointed star in the middle of the lantern.

There are several figures that the Hermit automatically brings to mind. Gandalf the Gray, for one. Also Odin in his wandering phase, Kronos/Father Time …

When thinking about this card on its own, without actually looking on the images, I had mentally imagined mountains in the distance. Like the ones behind the Fool. So when I did look at the card in hand, I was surprised that there is barely a hint of distant mountains, much less the one on which he stands, down at the very bottom of the card. Why? The Old Man on the Mountain is a stock figure, isn’t it? And how we think of the Hermit. It didn’t make sense to me. But then going back to my old notes on l’Hermite, I was reminded of the following:

my notes on the Tarot de Marseille said:
[…] the central hermit figure fills the card frame so comprehensively and nearly completely with his height and his voluminous cloak that it really does speak of the spiritual over the physical; the inner quest over seeking in the outer world. Because as far as this card is concerned, there is no outer world, or at least it isn’t visible or relevant.

This Hermit is clearly not of the mundane physical world. He’s far removed from it, it’s not even in his peripheral vision. According to numerology, Nine is represented as a tripling of the trinity and the harmony that Three represents. Nine, and so the Hermit, brings the abstract of the divine to the concrete of the earth. So I wonder if that’s what he’s searching for? He seeks wisdom, answers, contact with the spiritual world, and he brings it back to the mundane world.

Creator’s Notes
Waite says of the original Hermit archetype:
Waite said:
The Hermit, as he is termed in common parlance, stands next on the list; he is also the Capuchin, and in more philosophical language the Sage. He is said to be in search of that Truth which is located far off in the sequence, and of justice which has preceded him on the way.
The Capuchin is a priest, isn’t it? Wikipedia says it is a Franciscan order of friars who sought refuge with another order of monks in Italy in their early days; they adopted this group’s hood and habit of wearing beards, both of which marked them as hermits. Perhaps this is what Waite means.

Waite said:
But this is a card of attainment, as we shall see later, rather than a card of quest. It is said also that his lantern contains the Light of Occult Science and that his staff is a Magic Wand. These interpretations are comparable in every respect to the divinatory and fortune-telling meanings with which I shall have to deal in their turn. The diabolism of both is that they are true after their own manner, but that they miss all the high things to which the Greater Arcana should be allocated. It is as if a man who knows in his heart that all roads lead to the heights, and that God is at the great height of all, should choose the way of perdition or the way of folly as the path of his own attainment.
In the first part of the above quote, Waite is saying that the Hermit is not so much about the searching, but the actual finding. The thrill of the chase doesn’t appeal to him at all. The theory into the symbolism of the lantern and the staff are interesting, but notice how he says “It is said also that …” rather than stating in his usual authoritative fashion that they are these things? Is he covering his butt in more Golden Dawn secrets? Reserving judgement? Or does he just not believe these things himself?

Waite said:
Éliphas Lévi has allocated this card to Prudence, but in so doing he has been actuated by the wish to fill a gap which would otherwise occur in the symbolism.
In other words, Waite says Lévi equates the Hermit to Prudence because he feels the need to have Prudence in there somewhere, rather than because he saw an evident and necessary connection between the two. The Tarot has three of the virtues (Fortitude or Strength, Justice and Temperance), so it should have the full set. Collect ‘em all. Waite then goes on (and on and on) about the four virtues, but to be honest I can’t figure out a lot of it and it gives me a headache to try. So I’ll leave it and jump on ahead to what Waite has to say about his version of the Hermit.

Waite said:
The variation from the conventional models in this card is only that the lamp is not enveloped partially in the mantle of its bearer, who blends the idea of the Ancient of Days with the Light of the World.
Good point. I had noticed in the Marseille version, in l’Hermite, that most of the light of his lantern illuminates his underarm and the folds of his cloak, rather than shedding light on anything else. I likened that to his internalized viewpoint rather than a focus on the external. By “Ancient of Days” (from an Aramaic name of God) and “Light of the World” (Jesus), he is emphasizing the Hermit’s link to the divine.

Waite said:
It is a star which shines in the lantern. I have said that this is a card of attainment, and to extend this conception the figure is seen holding up his beacon on an eminence. Therefore the Hermit is not, as Court de Gebelin explained, a wise man in search of truth and justice; nor is he, as a later explanation proposes, an especial example of experience. His beacon intimates that "where I am, you also may be."
Well, that explains the star in the lantern. He sees the Hermit, then, as a shining example. A figure high above everyone else (on a pedestal?), something to which the commoners can aspire. A bit snotty, perhaps, but it does explain the star. Because a star is an awful lot better a beacon than a measly little lantern. But not a wise man, or experienced? How else can others aspire to get to his level, if not through accrual of wisdom and experience?

Waite said:
It is further a card which is understood quite incorrectly when it is connected with the idea of occult isolation, as the protection of personal magnetism against admixture. This is one of the frivolous renderings which we owe to Éliphas Lévi. It has been adopted by the French Order of Martinism and some of us have heard a great deal of the Silent and Unknown Philosophy enveloped by his mantle from the knowledge of the profane. In true Martinism, the significance of the term Philosophe inconnu was of another order. It did not refer to the intended concealment of the Instituted Mysteries, much less of their substitutes, but--like the card itself--to the truth that the Divine Mysteries secure their own protection from those who are unprepared.
All this insistence that everyone who ever came before Waite misunderstood or had it all wrong. I don’t know if I’ll last the full 78 weeks! Waite refers to the card as “the protection of personal magnetism against admixture” but I confess I haven’t got a clue what he means by that.

Others’ Interpretations
According to Waite:
Waite said:
9. THE HERMIT.--Prudence, circumspection; also and especially treason, dissimulation, roguery, corruption. Reversed: Concealment, disguise, policy, fear, unreasoned caution.
Given his previous insistence, I don’t think he means “prudence” as the virtue Prudence; rather the generic term.

Symbols and Attributes
Astrologically the Hermit is associated with Virgo, the Virgin. Virgo is an Earth sign that ends roughly around the beginning of autumn (at least according to the calendar). It is ruled by Mercury, the planet of communication, ideas and study. When its fickle and fast-moving nature is tempered by the slow practicality of the Earth signs, Virgo ends up being a practical sign with the attention to detail that makes it excellent for studies. It is an introverted, inwardly reflecting sign, according to Wikipedia, which is reflected well in the Hermit.

Why the Virgin in relation to the Hermit? It’s true that in some spiritual paths, celibacy is an important aspect. But I don’t believe that is the symbolism here. But going by old-school definitions, virginity goes hand-in-hand with purity. And a sort of crystalline purity is implied in the Hermit. His removal from the material world implies a purity of focus that I can see as fitting here.

What are the key symbols in this card? As far as I can see, they are the old man and his cloak, his staff, his lantern and the mountains.

I’ve commented already on the Hermit as an old man. Frail and white bearded, he represents hard-won wisdom from years of living, studying, thinking. And I don’t care what Waite says about that not being the point. I’m an unlearned Philistine, one of the common horde, and I don’t care what he thinks of me. So there :p He wears a white beard. A common enough symbol for a wise old man.

He wears a long gray cloak – gray is a blending of opposites black and white, indicating balance between opposites, such as the spiritual and the earthly – and a hood pulled up over his head like a hooded friar or other holy man who withdraws voluntarily from the physical world in favour of introspection and the divine. Like the Capuchin Waite calls his Hermit’s predecessor. His boots are gray as well, no extraneous colour to be found on his person. The Hermit is quite singular in his focus.

In one hand he carries a long yellow staff. I would have thought it to be a walking stick – it would have been a long hike up to that mountain peak for an old man in the cold – but something about the way he holds it makes me think otherwise. His grip on it seems high up for someone who is resting their weight against it. It seems more like he is holding it up rather than the other way around. So it would appear that it serves some other purpose. Waite says it originally signified a magic wand. If this is true, it’s unlike any magic wand I’ve heard of. Except perhaps Gandalf’s staff. It is yellow, a colour which is linked to spirituality.

With the other hand he holds aloft an open-sided lantern. It is illuminated by a six-pointed star like a Star of David. It seems to give out a feeble glow, not even casting a glow on the Hermit, much less very useful in guiding his way up that mountain, acting as a beacon to others on the upward path, or taking in the view from up there. I’d rather think that was due to the paucity of the printing process for the colours, or an error in illustration, rather than believe that it was a deliberately dim little star. Waite calls the star in the lantern a beacon, making the Hermit a kind of example; it’s as if he’s saying “see, if you play your cards right, you can be as good as me!” which is kind of in a nutshell what I think Waite was trying to do with his book :laugh:

By holding a star in the lantern, is the Hermit making himself a signpost? A guide? An oracle or wise man of the mountain? The Wise Men followed a star to find the divine, sailors used celestial navigation for centuries, astrologers still turn to the stars to guide their lives, and there are not many people who won’t turn to their daily horoscope in the paper for a laugh if nothing else. So stars offer guidance, wisdom, a connection to the spiritual. Why wouldn’t the Hermit, wise and enlightened as he presumably has become after all this time, harness a star and keep it in his lantern to guide the way?

Earliest decks like the Visconti, Estensi, Minchiate and similar depicted the Hermit holding an hourglass, illustrating his connection to mortality and time (in fact, Time is the generally accepted title of the Minchiate version). By the time the Tarot de Marseille had evolved, this had transformed to a lantern.

The esoteric title of this card is: The Magus of the Voice of Light, The Prophet of the Gods. And where do prophets always go, or anyone who wants to receive a message from God? They go to the top of some mountain or other, implying that the higher up they are, the closer they are to God, or at least His home. So not only is the mountain peak convenient in that he’s got some peace and quiet, far from the maddening crowd, to get in some serious thinking, but also it brings him closer to God. Mystical journeys are often depicted as leading to or taking place in lonely and desolate places – wilderness, desert, mountain peaks. The mountains are only hinted at, though, a few minor jags and bumps near the bottom of the card. As I’d said already, I see this as representing the Hermit’s exclusion of his surroundings, tuning out the external world in favour of his own richer internal world. He lives so fully in his own thoughts, his own reflections, that he does not feel the discomfort of the cold, worry about his footing in the darkness, or even notice the beauty of the mountains. It is as if they aren’t there.

My Interpretation
I don’t believe my take on the Hermit is much different than it was before I embarked on this study. I saw (and still see) it as a card of solitude and contemplation. It indicates a need to remove oneself from the distractions of the everyday, in order to consider higher things. Waite sees him as a beacon, as a shining example to which we can aspire; I don’t. The ascetic, contemplative life isn’t for everyone (me, for instance!)

Recolouring
I chose to make the sky a little more interesting, a starry nighttime sky. No reason, I just find the grayish sky in this card rather blah. Other than that, the grays in this card are fitting.

Attachments

• 9-at.JPG
    9-at.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 136

gregory

Card name: Hermit

First impressions

One of the more traditional cards at first glance- it is immediately a hermit, in a red cloak, with wild hair and a lantern – containing the sun. The three headed dog is Cerberus, presumably. Before him the Orphic Egg, as already seen in the Lovers. All around is flowing wheat. There is a weird spermlike thing rising from the bottom left hand corner of the card.

From the Book of Thoth
This card is attributed to the letter Yod, which means the Hand. Hence, the hand, which is the tool or instrument par excellence, is in the centre of the picture. The letter Yod is the foundation of all the other letters of the Hebrew alphabet, which are merely combinations of it in various ways.

The letter Yod is the first letter of the name Tetragrammaton, and this symbolizes the Father, who is Wisdom; he is the highest form of Mercury, and the Logos, the Creator of all worlds. Accordingly, his representative in physical life is the spermatozoon; this is why the card is called The Hermit.

The figure of the Hermit himself recalls the shape of the letter Yod, and the colour of his cloak is the colour of Binah, in whom he gestates. In his hand he holds a Lamp whose centre is the Sun, portrayed in the likeness of the Sigil of the great King of Fire (Yod is the secret Fire). It seems that he is contemplating---in a certain sense, adoring---the Orphic egg (greenish in colour) because it is conterminous with the Universe, while the snake which surrounds it is many-coloured to signify the iridescence of Mercury. For he is not only creative, but is the fluidic essence of Light, which is the life of the Universe.

The highest symbolism of this card is, therefore, Fertility in its most exalted sense, and this is reflected in the attribution of the card to the sign of Virgo, which is another aspect of the same quality. Virgo is an earthy sign, and is referred especially to Corn, so that the background of the card is a field of wheat.

Virgo represents the lowest, most receptive, most feminine form of earth, and forms the crust over Hades. Yet not only is Virgo ruled by Mercury, but Mercury is exalted therein. Compare the Ten of Disks, and the general doctrine that the climax of the Descent into Matter is the signal for the reintegration by Spirit. It is the Formula of the Princess, the mode of fulfillment of the Great Work.

This card recalls the Legend of Persephone, and herein is a dogma. Concealed within Mercury is a light which pervades all parts of the Universe equally; one of his titles is Psychopompos, the guide of the soul through the lower regions. These symbols are indicated by his Serpent Wand, which is actually growing out of the Abyss, and is the spermatozoon developed as a poison, and manifesting the foetus. Following him is Cerberus, the three-headed Hound of Hell whom he has tamed. In this Trump is shewn the entire mystery of Life in its most secret workings. Yod Phallus Spermatozoon Hand Logos Virgin. There is perfect Identity, not merely Equivalence, of the Extremes, the Manifestation, and the Method.

Images and Symbolism
Frieda Harris says in her essays:

IX. The Hermit. The letter, to which this card is attributed, is the letter Yod, the foundation of all the other letters of the Hebrew Alphabet. The symbolism is that of the Creator of Life and his representative is the Spermatozoon. For that reason the card is called the Hermit. In the same order of ideas the Hermit holds the lamp whose centre is the Sun. The Egg, surrounded by the coils of a snake, typifies the Universe, while the snake signifies the fluidic essence of light, which is the life of the Universe. In this card are traces of the legend of Persephone. The serpent Wand, here seen growing Out of the Abyss, is the Wand of Mercury. the guide of the soul through the lower regions. The letter Yod means “a hand,” and the hand is the centre of the design.
Also:
Virgo. Yod.
Here we have, in the hand of the Hermit, the lamp or Sacred Wisdom. It contains the Sun which is hidden beneath the surrounding darkness to fructify the earth. The Hermit is looking at the Egg (Universe) which is surrounded by the snake, a symbol of life. The hounds of hell endeavour to snatch the sacred light and the little Homunculus. The wheat is in the masonic tradition.

The Wheat is a symbol for Virgo – the sign of the harvest. The Hermit wears a plum coloured coat – also the colour of Virgo. His face is concealed; his hair and beard are white – These suggest Kether – also known as “the White Head - the ancient of days” and the “concealed of the concealed”. Kether is the ultimate source of the creative power symbolized here. He is bent and facing away from us – but not bent in a way suggesting any disability; he seems very supple, in fact.
He holds the sun in his lantern and it is directly over his genital area, as the sun is in the Fool, card – in both cases, a glyph of creative might. Snuffin says his lantern has 8 sides- I haven’t seen this myself… But he says that this is a link to Hod and Mercury.
The Hermit is looking at the Orphic Egg which first appeared in the Lovers card; it is green - the colour of Venus and Netzach. It represents the origin of everything.
At his feet is the serpent wand – the sperm-like thing. The head looks like a serpent and/or a foetus, and the whole like a sperm – symbolising infinite potential. The four-pointed star within it is the seed of the four elements that make up all life

The three headed dog is indeed Cerberus – the guardian of Tartarus in Greek Myth. Here, the Hermit takes on the part of the Psychopomp, usually Mercury’s role – the one who leads the souls to the place of the dead, carrying the light that guides them through the underworld. Here, he has tamed Cerberus and overcome death itself.
In the Liber Jugorum, Crowley says:
1. Three are the Beasts wherewith thou must plough the Field; the Unicorn, the Horse and the Ox. And these shalt thou yoke in a triple yoke that is governed by One Whip.
2. Now these Beasts run wildly upon the earth and are not easily obedient to the Man.
3. Nothing shall be said here of Cerberus, the great Beast of Hell, that is every one of these and all of these, even as Athanasius hath foreshadowed. For this matter is not of Tiphareth without, but Tiphareth within.
He goes on to give each beast human attributes and gives exercises through which each attribute may be mastered. Cerberus represents all three – one head for each.
The Hermit has mastered all three – speech, thought and action. The three heads can be seen to have one attribute each- one with open mouth for speech, one looking forward in thought and one looking backward, for action.

The light shining in all directions across the card comes from three sources: there are two rays at the top - one is a triangular beam, the top part of a pyramid – phallus – the upside down V is an ancient symbol om the male; the other is a single beam representing the horizon.
The yellower beams from the lantern illuminate - from right to left, in the direction the Hermit moves, as they kind of tell a story ! – the first lights the base of the sperm with the homunculus within - the potential for life; the second, vertical – is a phallus, reaching from the tip of the pyramid down through the sin, and is held by his hand; the third points to Cerberus – the dead phallus post-ejaculation, and the fourth to the Orphic egg – the sperm and egg now united and fertile. The Orphic Egg symbolises the full power of the orgasm in sex magick.
Banzhaf mentions Merlin, Taliesin and Abraham as seekers and guides suggested by the figure on this card. A retreat from life, withdrawal into the inner self to search out the truth; the lantern signifies inner light – perhaps like the “light within” sought by the Quakers.
The Hermit is perhaps the servant of the inner actual self, as contrasted with the Hierophant, who represents the divine image of the ego. Banzhaf likens him to Diogenes, who wandered the streets of Athens in daylight with a lit lantern, and when challenged, would say he was “looking for an honest man”. The lantern here enables him to see the Orphic Egg and the mystery of the original source of all life.
Yod is the Hebrew letter of this card, and Yod is the symbol which contains all the other 21 letters. Yod corresponds also to the central hand which holds the lantern, and which throws out illumination.
We have here the World (the egg), the Underworld (Cerberus) and Elysium (the rays of light) all represented. Also we “see” the silence which cannot be expressed in words – truth belongs in images.

Duquette remarks – curiously – “See how the Hermit states at the Orphic egg ? If I were that egg, I’d be nervous”. He goes on to quote Crowley as saying “In this Trump is shewn the entire mystery of Life in its most secret workings.”
He adds that the Hermit has already appeared as the officiating priest marrying the lovers, expressing male creative energy, and here he carries the lamp of the sun. The rising sperm with its homunculus may be inaccurate as science, but expresses the universal and magickally correct doctrine of correspondence – as above, so below.

Traditional meanings –
Cribbed shamelessly from Wasserman

IX THE HERMIT. Illumination from within. Divine inspiration. Wisdom. Prudence. Circumspection. Retirement from participation in current events.
From the Book of Thoth:
Wander alone; bearing the Light and thy Staff.
And be the Light so bright that no man seeth thee.
Be not moved by aught without or within;
keep Silence in all ways.

Illumination from within, secret impulse from within; practical plans derived accordingly. Retirement from participation in current events.

My impressions (appearance of the card):
It is rather more mobile than I would ordinarily expect of a Hermit; the quest for enlightenment is perhaps more volatile than one might think. The wheat is a new one on me, and while it ties in to Virgo and creation and so on, it feels - odd, to me. the various aspects of the light, though, are particularly interesting now that I have read more of them.

My take (what I make of it/what I might see in a reading where I drew it)
The card signifies illumination (symbolised by the lamp – common to almost all Hermit cards !) – revelation, what was hidden is revealed. Reversed, if I read reversals - it would suggest secrecy, self-isolation, a need to get out more ! There is a fine line between self-isolation to gain knowledge, and self-isolation for more selfish purposes though. It is important to be sure which is which.

Anna

THOTH

Card name ~ The Hermit

Keyword ~ The Prophet of the Eternal / The Magus of the Voice of Power
Element ~ Earth
Tree of Life attributions ~ Path 20, joining 4 Chesed (mercy) with 6 Tiphareth (beauty)
Astrological / other attributions ~ Hebrew letter Yod (hand), Mercury rules, Virgo

First impressions
The figure resembles the traditional one in some ways; he looks older and his back is bent, he holds the light and he is heading off into a dark, unknown place. We can’t see the face of this character, and I can’t tell if it is hand covering his face or his hair. I notice what looks like peacock feathers, a 3 headed dog, and the egg wrapped in snake which has appeared on other cards.

From the Book of Thoth
This card recalls the Legend of Persephone.
In this trump is shewn the entire mystery of Life in its most secret workings. Yod = Phallus = Spermatozoon = Hand = Logos = Virgin. There is perfect identity, not merely equivalence, of the extremes, the manifestation and the method.

From Duquette: Earth is uniquely connected to spirit, it helps regenerate the highest high because of the simple fact that it is the lowest low.
The three key cosmic players that are responsible for creating that “mode of fulfilment of the Great Work” are Earth, Mercury and the Sun. Earth is the special lowest-of-the-low element; tarot is the province of Thoth/Mercury; and the Sun is the secret seed of Universal life that we knew was going to be important since we first saw it radiating in front of the Fool’s groin. Earth, Mercury and the Sun have their first important strategy meeting in the Hermit.
Virgo is the mutable sign of Earth, ruled by Mercury, and Mercury is exalted in Virgo. The Hermit carries the lamp of the Sun, with which he gives light to the world. It’s as simple as that.
Yod is the fundamental Hebew letter. All the other letters are created from this basic form. As the hidden seed of the Hebrew alphabet, Yod also symbolises the mystery of sperm, the hidden seed, and a central secret of fertilisation.
Perhaps the most intriguing image on the card is what appears to be a wriggling sperm cell. It is the Homunculus image. If you look closely at the head, you will see a baby curled in the fetal position. It expresses the more universal and magically correct doctrine of correspondence; As above, so below.

Images and Symbolism
Letter Yod: means hand. The first letter in the name Tetragrammaton and this symbolises the Father, who is wisdom; he is the highest form of Mercury, and the Logos, the creator of all worlds. The figure of the Hermit himself recalls the shape of the letter Yod, and the colour olf his cloak is the colour of Binah, in whom he gestates.
In his hand he holds a lamp whose centre is the Sun
It seems that he is contemplating the Orphic egg because it is conterminous with the Universe, while the snake which surrounds it is many coloured to signify the iridescence of Mercury.
The highest symbolism of this card is Fertility in is most exalted sense, and this is reflected in the attribution of the card to the sign Virgo.
The background of the card is a field of wheat.

Traditional meanings (Marseille/RWS)
In both the Marseille decks and the RWS, I have usually interpreted this card as being about seeking solitude and quiet space away from others, perhaps in order to think and contemplate. It represents walking away from the known into the unknown, quite alone, but without fear.

From Tarotpedia: ”In the earliest known list of the Trumps (Sermones de Ludo Cum Aliis), this card is called El Gobbo (The Hunchback). Other names in Italian include Il Vecchio (The Old Man) and Il Tempo (Time). The Visconti-Sforza Tarot depicts him as an elderly man with a long, white beard. He leans on a stick with his left hand and holds an hourglass in his right hand, clearly symbolising the fleeing of time. The Tarot de Marseille named it L’Hermite (The Hermit) and portrays an old, heavily cloaked man. He probes the ground with a stick in his left hand and with his right holds up a lantern (or perhaps a bell). The Hermit signifies solitude, contemplation and thought - without the hassle and distractions of today’s world, he is able to go deep within himself. He has grown wise from his past experiences, and follows his path slowly but steadily. Carole Sédillot writes in Ombres et Lumières du Tarot: "Withdrawing from the world doesn’t mean fleeing from it, but means allowing communion with one’s own inner world and deriving truth from it, one’s own truth."

From Thirteen’s tarot card meanings: ”Represented by Virgo, the Hermit is a card of introspection, analysis and, well, virginity. It is a time to think, organize, ruminate, and take stock. There may be feelings of frustration and discontent during this time of withdrawal. But such times lead to enlightenment, illumination, clarity. One of the important things about this card is that the Hermit is almost always shown on the move. He's never hiding away in his cave. Rather, he's out wandering, searching.”

My take on the card
I think this is quite a difficult card to understand… on the surface, it’s about going off alone to search for truths, meanings and the mysteries of life. It’s about looking within and finding your own answers.

But as always with the Thoth, there is so much more going on in this card. What felt most important to me in Crowley’s writing, was the idea that “In this trump is shewn the entire mystery of Life in its most secret workings; Yod = Phallus = Spermatozoon = Hand = Logos = Virgin.” This is because this card brings the 3 key elements of Earth, Mercury and Sun together. There is completeness to it; every ingredient needed to complete the great work is present. Crowley calls this “the formula of the princess” The princess is the Virgin, also symbolised as Virgo (I’ve written in an earlier card that the original meaning of the word Virgin is a woman who is not married, who belongs to herself).

So what does all this mean? Actually, I’ve got no idea. I can’t grasp very well at all. This is the first time I’ve really felt stumped in my study of the Thoth. But perhaps that is what the Hermit is all about; stepping away from every day life to contemplate the greater mysteries of the Universe and of Life – but not necessarily understanding them! It is the attempt to understand and the process by which we try to make sense of these mysteries, not the mysteries themselves. This is a card of process, journey, travel, etc. not one of outcomes and results. I am reminded of what Duquette wrote in The Lovers card about the Hermit representing a period of gestation

vee

Soprafino

Whoo, late as usual.

The Hermit wears red robes, a dark maroon cape, and thonged sandals. He carries a walking stick, but his weight does not seem distributed on it--it's more for balance. In his right hand he holds a lamp: a strange kind, I must look up more about it- with an open flame. The smoke floats up, touching his pinky. He has a long white beard and receeding hairline. His face is slightly flushed.

He looks a bit sad to me. His eyes are so expressive: they are pained and slightly suspicious. He looks clever as well: someone who might be underestimated. He's got a scar across his right nose, suggesting that he was not always a gentle wanderer.

The flame he carries is small and vulnerable. It makes me think of how the knowledge of the past is carried by the people who have lived through it, and as they grow old and leave this world, it withers. Perhaps that is why this Hermit is sad. He's lived through wars and peace and the rise and falls of civilizations, but he is an old man now, and the wisdom he has accumulated is of little interest to the youth.

Maybe that's why he is looking at us with that slight suspicion and sadness. He wants to teach us, wants to help explain his world, but he thinks it will be cast in his face yet again.

Historical referents: Diogenes, perhaps, who was known for carrying a lamp in the daytime, looking for an honest man. This gives the card a much more cynical tone: the Hermit's knowledge has made it impossible for him to see humanity in a positive light.

Divination meanings: A guide, mentor. The passing down of knowledge. Solitude. Meditation. Wisdom that has been accumulated over time. Practical knowledge. The burden of knowledge. Withdrawing to find balance.

linnie

Card: ATU IX – The Hermit (Thoth)

Attributes –

The Prophet of the Eternal

The Magus of the Voice of Power

Hebrew letter - Yod (hand).
Tree of Life - Path 20, joining 4 Chesed (Mercy) with 6 Tiphareth (Beauty).
Zodiacal trump of Virgo; Mercury rules, Mercury exalted.
Earth element.
Colours – Green (yellowish), slate grey, green grey, plum colour.

Original design - “Wrapped in a cloak and cowl, an Ancient walketh, bearing a lamp and staff. Before him goeth upright the Royal Uraeus Serpent.”- (Crowley, B of T)

Crowley and LWB – “Illumination from within; practical plans derived accordingly. Retirement from participation in current events”.

“Wander alone; bearing the Light and thy Staff! And be the Light so bright that no man seeth thee!”

“Be not moved by aught without or within. Keep silence in all ways.”

Wasserman: “IX – The Hermit – Illumination from within. Divine inspiration. Wisdom. Prudence. Circumspection. Retirement from participation in current events”.

Harris: “IX – The Hermit -The letter to which this card is attributed is the letter Yod, the foundation of all the other letters of the Hebrew Alphabet. The symbolism is that of the Creator of life and his representative is the Spermatozoan. For that reason the card is called the Hermit. In the same order of ideas the Hermit holds the lamp whose centre is the Sun. The Egg, surrounded by the coils of a snake, typifies the universe, while the snake signifies the fluidic essence of light, which is the life of the universe. In this card are traces of the legend of Persephone. The Serpent Wand, seen here growing out of the Abyss, is the Wand of Mercury, the guide of a soul through the lower regions. The letter “Yod” means “a hand”, and a hand is the centre of the design.”

Symbolism – The Hermit’s body is a stylized “Yod”, and, beyond his overall figure, Hermit’s hand is the only part of him clearly visible. Yod = “the Hand”. Yod is the first letter of the Tetragrammaton, which symbolises the Father, Wisdom. He is the ‘highest form of Mercury, and the Logos, the Creator of all worlds. Accordingly, his representation in physical life is the Spermatozoon.” Crowley, in DuQuette: “In this trump is shewn the entire mystery of Life in its most secret workings.” “In a very real way, the tiny flame of Yod is the fundamental Hebrew letter. All the other letters are created from this basic form. As the hidden seed of the Hebrew alphabet, Yod also symbolizes the mystery of sperm, the hidden seed, and a central secret of fertilisation.”
Wheat = Harvest (although I didn’t see it as wheat at any point, but rather saw spermatozoa swarming all around the Hermit.) The Orphic Egg continues to reveal its story of the Process of Creation, from Inception, Conception and future Birthing.
Crowley, in DuQuette - “He stands in a wheat filed with the heavy shafts suggesting sperm. Carries the Lamp of the Sun.Is dogged by Cerberus, the 3-headed guardian of the gate of the underworld, whom Mercury (Hermes) tamed with honeycake.”… “The wriggling sperm cell is, in fact, the “ Homunculus”. Within the head of the homunculus can be seen a large-headed baby in the foetal position. “As above, so below”.

Traditional meanings etc - DuQuette, after Crowley) - “The three key cosmic players that are responsible for creating that “mode of fulfilment of the Great Work” are Earth, Mercury and the Sun. Earth is the special lowest-of-the-low element” (… Uniquely connected to spirit, it helps regenerate the highest high because of the simple fact that it is the lowest) … “tarot is the province of Thoth/Mercury; and the Sun is the secret seed of Universal life that we knew was going to be important since we first saw it radiating in front of the Fool’s groin. Earth, Mercury and the Sun have their first important strategy meeting in the Hermit.
Virgo is the mutable sign of Earth, ruled by Mercury, and Mercury is exalted in Virgo. The Hermit carries the lamp of the Sun, with which he gives light to the world.”

Initial impressions - A red-cloaked man, grey-haired and with face partially hidden, strides forward purposefully. In his hand he holds a lantern (Light), which throws light to many directions. A light shines upon him, also, which, it appears, he hopes to evade.

Around him is a swirling, whirling energy, denoted by green-grey serpentine sperm ( I did not see wheat :)), each filled with potential. To his upper left, in a still patch of blue sky (?), hovers the Orphic Egg, still entwined by Serpent. The Egg is luminous green, and glows with the potential of vibrancy and growth.

Pointing to the Light, perhaps seeking it, is a single sperm, (now understood to be a Homunculus). It also seems poised, purposeful…. This is no random fertilisation. There is a calculated Creation, a specific host, in which this sperm must embed itself, take hold….

To the lower right, a 3-headed dog, Cerberus, jumps and follows beside The Hermit, 2 heads looking forward and 1, behind.

Colours are sky blue, apple green, green-grey, slate grey-blue, warm red, yellow, peach, mid-grey.

My take on the card -

The Hermit’s highest attribute is “the Prophet of the Eternal, the Magus of the Voice of power”, and yet he is urged to “Wander alone; bearing the Light and Thy staff! And be the Light so bright that no man seeth thee!” and… “Be not moved by aught without or within: Keep silence in all ways.”

To me, The Hermit is all about Creative potential and fertility… the creation of some Great Work. The Hermit’s role is to act as the instrument of the Eternal. He is given the Eternal’s hand with which to work the potential of the seed of Creativity.

The Hermit moves amongst others whilst being compelled to follow his inner compulsion. He is of this world but not OF this world. He has the knowledge but must act silently with intuition as his guide… Intuition… In-tuition… Teaching from within! It is not his way to seek the attention of onlookers, more inclined to dodge their interest and shy away from them (which seems apparent when considering the haste with which this otherwise contemplative being propels himself… although this may also demonstrate The Hermit’s frustration at being restrained, held back, even though he knows that he knows what he knows… a somewhat fraught ‘balancing act’ between the inner and outer world of the Sage.).

It is The Hermit’s lot to act as the Hand of the Eternal, finding a practical way to bring the creative potential into being… His task is to facilitate the manifestation of that inner prompting. In order to undertake this great work, The Hermit must retire from the outer world and seek “illumination from within”.

This card speaks to me of a hunger for esoteric knowledge and illumination… insight… of a place of self-imposed hibernation, where, rather than a slumbering, a Dreaming is occurring, in which one may assess how to best accommodate and facilitate the manifestation of The Great Work. In reading this card, I recall the compulsion to focus almost entirely on one project … Quite literally overwhelming and unceasing until the project met with completion. The Outerworld became ethereal, seen as though through a veil, and the process of 'dodging' the Ouetrworld in order to go within was indeed necessary to offer sufficient focus to the project at hand…

In reading this card, I would feel into the energy of that moment in time, and recall what conditions were most essential to facilitate that process, but then, too, recall the process itself, rather than its completion, as The Hermit remains, essentially, a card of wisdom-seeking rather than of resolution. And…ultimately…Revelation… This wisdom is achieved through the illumination from within. “Be not moved by aught without or within: Keep silence in all ways”, though, would suggest the need for a firm reminder to be ever vigilant with regard to the origin of the wisdom… Don’t bend to the little ‘ego’ voice, but rather seek wisdom from the Voice of the Eternal. Remain humble….

PAMUYA

A wise old man turns back to help light the narrow pathway. What is it that you find yourself seeking such solitude? The Hermits holds the lantern of the spirit of virtue, faith, the light of showing life’s precious gifts. In his right hand he supports himself with the staff of stability, intellect and knowledge. His robe is grey, representing he has resolved life’s polar opposites, black (negative) and white (positive). When the Hermit appears in our life, he suggests that we need time to be alone, to withdraw, to turn inward without distractions. Sometimes this might include the guidance of a counselor or mentor, or perhaps you are the one being called to help mentor another.

This is a time for you to seek understanding, to contemplate, meditate or to observe what is going on before any further action is taken. The key words are wisdom, maturity, to spot light the major issue, solitude, detachment and observations. Give or accept wise counsel, remembering what truly matter in one’s life. To satisfy, one’s inner needs. The Hermit can also signify a spiritual call, to seek out one’s meaning in life.

Direct: maturity, being or seeing a mentor, spotlighting major issues, wisdom, needing to be alone, soul searching, needs inner balance, inner peace.

Sorry didn't say the deck RWS

Reversed: Immaturity, scattered, avoiding main issues, not together, social activity, hastiness, foolish acts, burying head in sand.

gregory

Which deck are you doing, Pamuya - that is VERY important in this study !