Are you a Flat World Society Member?

Huck

Umbrae said:
Like the long insufferable posts that are so far OFF TOPIC that it is real obvious the posters have no concept of the thesis.

(emphasis added)

Throughout this thread, it has become painfully obvious that many historians either don’t read (the thesis), could care less about the thesis and will swing whichever way the pseudo-intellectual wind blows, or, have to make it all “about them”, and or squelch dialogue.

Therefore, according to the thesis – are Flat Earth Society Members.

At no time did the active historians participating ask WHY did Roseanne post such a thesis?

They were more interested in being right.

Insufferable arrogant pompousness. My fear is that they may actually teach a child…

You know...above the text - at the top corner (no I'm not going to tell you which one - find it yourself) there's a button. on it are the words, "post new thread"...if you are about to post something that has nothing to do with the thesis of this thread...please use that post new topic button.

Rosanne and I have discussed assigning grades to you guys. So far – many of you will be repeating class next year.

:smoker:

... :) is this just a "funny communication thread" or "really right in the History Research" forum ... just as a comment that you seem to try to kick somebody out of a thread ...
Actually we've here ... history forum ... some "common use" and "historical tradition", that the theme may falter a little bit or even a little bit more according to the mind jumps of the participants ... it's part of the creative thinking processes and somehow important for "us historians" in a free and liberal surrounding.

... even if somebody loses the nerves in the meantime ... :) ... there is usually enough humour and grown-up perspective around us to keep the ball "flat" ...

So speak open ... which mental picture do you associate with the words "Flat World Society"? What is the secretly hidden theme of this thread, well, just your opinion, I know, that you can't speak for Rosanne ... how it connects to Tarot history? Or to Tarot? Or to History? Or to Historians?

Fulgour

an unending search

Huck said:
What is the secretly hidden theme of this thread, well, just your opinion, I know, that you can't speak for Rosanne ... how it connects to Tarot history? Or to Tarot? Or to History? Or to Historians?
Whilst I majored in English Literature of the Renaissance
at University, before and after that I have always been
an avid student of History, in all its varied presentations.

One of the first things I do, as a historian, when reading
a book is to check to see what the author is including...
and that also includes what the author is leaving out.

History books are by no means unbiased, they may be
wrong, and usually they are of necessity incomplete...
But one can often see right through a sham historian's
premise by checking to see if they are still seeking too.

Rosanne

baba-prague said:
She is told firmly once again that there is irrefutable evidence for the origin of MacDonalds in Europe.

She is somewhat surprised as s/he was not aware that her post was in any way questioning that - it was on a related issue and was not an attempt to prove that Julia Child (that well-known gypsy cook) was the inventor of the first MacDonalds. She decides not to post again and continues the research into "slow food" on her own -
Here is why I posted here- This is the answer ! Baba Prague gets an A!
This Forum could be a Think tank of imaginings, and we are adults usually ;) I try really hard to thank people who come on board with musings. Out of all the members here at AT, many are interested in the History of the Cards- but they don't post here. Do you not wonder why? I have been on wonderful journeys, because of imagings- But I understand facts, I am not ignoring them! Some posters could just pass the technical details to each other by PM, but they hold these interminable discussions here and my eyes pop out and my cheeks suck in.........
DoctorArcanus gets an A for his deliberating and wondering what he can do.
Fulgour gets an A for constantly trying to inspire imagings elsewhere.
Umbrae gets an A for understanding from the start what I was clumsily trying to say.
jmd gets an A for inspiring Baba Prague to post....
and you get A + for considering my original intent, not being offended and hopefully getting the picture - like Huck did for me. ~Rosanne

Rosanne

Rosanne said:
I found out that the helmet was found at the same depth as the Swamp Kauri (buried Forest) that the excavator was digging for. Made me go 'wow! How did that happen' Those trees had been covered in sand and tidal mud for about 4000 years. There also was what looked like dressed timber (ship planks?) but the Kauri Tree Hunter wanted the swamp wood and didn't give a tinkers cuss for History. Thought he might make a buck for the Helmet though :D ~Rosanne

I Know the Viking Helmet could not have been buried in the sand 4000 years ago- So was the excavator lying? No I think he was just careless, and now I might never find out- but the journey to inquire was fascinating- and I found out heaps about Vikings that I did not know! and how sand dunes came to be formed. Tarot is even more so fascinating for me. What on earth were those cards that Baba Prague mentioned? I have not heard of them before. ~Rosanne :love:

jmd

moderating note

Perhaps a few comments could be added to this thread that I make as moderator, rather than as member (my previous posts were as a contributing member, and not moderating).

This Forum is titled and subtitled:
Historical Research
Research, studies and theories on the origins and development of Tarot.

I would suggest that this implies a variety of things.

The first is that the Forum is based on Historical research, yet the subtitle explains the types of threads and posts intended herein.

The general form is for discussions about Tarot's:
  • origins; and
  • development.

In terms of these two factors of Tarot are three aspects that may be discussed:

• research;
  • studies;
  • theories.

For the Forum to be healthy, it needs to continue to develop an environment that encourages a balance between the freedom to suggest thoughts and ideas, as well as the responsibility to compare the suggestions with historical evidence. Neither side of this balance should completely outweigh the other, for we would then no longer be exploring historical possibilities, but arguing for either entrenched dogma or mere fantasy.

Theories in general have their place in terms of discussions as considerations. Taking hold of the possibilities within the suggestions may lead to rich new field. A combination of generosity of spirit and evidence are perhaps the two horses that need to also be given some rein.

The Forum is not a published book, but an area where possible leads may be suggested and communally travelled. Preventing this from happening effectively closes off this area as worthy of being a discussion Forum.

The Forum needs to achieve a balance between meticulous precision in detail, and the rich variety of imaginings that itself leads to further research, insights, and important finds.

There are also a number of grayer areas in terms of discussions in this section, and this is where Le Pendu and I have to consider whether to move a thread to a more appropriate Forum area (such as Talking Tarot or the Marseille and other early decks).

In a nutshell, generosity of spirit - which is a willingness to consider what is being presented as having something of worth to say, combined with reflections of this against historical artifacts (decks, images and writings).

This thread, itself not about historical research - ie, not about the origins and development of tarot - will likely be closed in the near future.

Huck

jmd said:
moderating note

This thread, itself not about historical research - ie, not about the origins and development of tarot - will likely be closed in the near future.

I would argue, that this might become a VERY unwise act.

When the History Forum is not by itself capable to come in balance, who then.

Tarot Historians have usually a long story with their theme behind them ... and perhaps not only that. If they even only smell that, what I would call Kindergarten rules, they easily disappear. Then it is not their place.

It's a matter of character, not personal.

Well, if the theme is now history or Tarot or nothing of both ... at least it's a part of our own little story.

Fulgour

Mein Freund

Huck said:
When the History Forum is not by itself
capable to come in balance, who then.
We'll always ;) have Paris!

Huck

mon ami ...

... :)

and 0123 IS 1234 ... occasionaly ... and we will make this French king to a Tarot card inventer, you will see ... and the German emperor gets the duke's daughter and the Mantegna Tarocchi ...

0 ... a coin looks like a zeo
1 ... a cups unites
2 ... a baton has 2 ends
3 ... a sword has 3 ends, when not drawn

1 ... a heart unites
a ... spades have two halves
3 ... clubs have 3 ends
4 ... carreux has 4 corners.

Diana

jmd said:
moderating note

Could it possibly be moved in that case to the Talking Tarot forum so that it could be left open? It is a thread that opens a lot of doors, and it would be sad to see them closed again.

I only recently returned to the Aeclectic Tarot Forums, and seeing this kind of open discussion on a topic which was simmering below the surface even when I was a regular member, was heartwarming, because things that simmer below the surface are never good as they tend to explode one day like a pressure cooker.

I remember people PMing me at the time when I was co-moderator of this forum a long time ago, with exactly the same concerns that Rosanne brought up. At last they are being talked about openly!!!!

baba-prague

Huck said:
If they even only smell that, what I would call Kindergarten rules, they easily disappear. Then it is not their place.

I must say, they sounded more like university seminar guidelines to me (do kindergartens discuss points of speculative research? Perhaps they do now - times move on!) These guidelines seem entirely reasonable and I'm glad that they are being laid out so clearly. I think it's helpful.