AT Traveling Member Deck ~ Journal II

MeeWah

Day 1- Fri. 31-10-08: After work, found brown box arrived from Kilted Kat. & today Hallowe'en, too--how appropos :)

Unable to get to the deck because of steady stream of Trick-or-Treaters (almost ran out of treats) & family visiting until late for occasion.

Day 2 - Sat. 11-01-08: Unable to use deck today due to stuff including work :( But plan on it tomorrow, next day off :)

Day 3 - Sun. 11-02-08: Decided to do a 3-Card spread for a bit belated Samhain reading because noticed where the Marseilles concerned, more clarity & context achieved with at least 3 cards. & because more difficult for me to read a single Marseilles card in isolation.

[Will be back to add the rest.]

octoberiste

I just remembered that I had to post a journal! Hehe.

Well, the deck came while I was at school, so I didn't get it until Friday, November 7th. I picked it up from the friendly people at the post office who think of me as a regular since I'm usually in and out of there sending off Amazon books.

I opened the package in my friend's car... to find an adorable Halloween card, some candy, and a beautiful, shiny bag from MeeWah. It was so exciting. I broke out the cards and looked at them. I did a double take at the Fool card. And then giggled, and showed my friend, who also giggled. I looked through the cards some more, and gasped when I saw the Ace of Swords. So beautiful. My instant favorite. But as I looked through them, I decided that I was not going to do any readings with this deck. I was certain I would not be able to read them.

When I got back to my friends' house on Friday night, I thought that maybe I should give the cards a try. Maybe I could read with them. So I set up a thread in the Exchanges forum. About an hour later, I regretted doing that.

On Saturday, I looked through the cards again. Didn't feel like reading with them. They just weren't calling to me.

On Sunday, I thought about the four readings I had promised to give, and my stomach lurched. I sat down in front of the computer, pulled out a tarot book (Mary Greer's Tarot For Yourself), shuffled the deck, read the question, pulled three cards... and I read. And the words just flowed from my mind to my fingertips. I couldn't believe that I was actually doing a reading with these mind-boggling cards. I was so proud of myself. I was doing it!

I think the readings turned out good. Everyone said that their reading resonated with them in one way or another. Check them out here: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=107752

I'm so glad I ignored my lurching stomach and gave in to the readings. It was quite joyous, really.

On Monday, I was trapped in Virginia Beach without a car, and was not able to get to the post office. I had completely forgotten that Tuesday was a holiday. I felt so bad that I wouldn't be able to send the cards on to rachelcat until Wednesday, but she was graceful about it. No problems.

On Tuesday, I organized the cards, signed the beautiful Ace of Swords, and packed them up. On Wednesday, I went to the post office, and the guy said: "Well, I think you definitely are a regular now!" and I smiled.

It really was a great experience to share with you all. Like I said, I'm so glad that I decided to read with the cards. For those who receive them from now on, don't be afraid of them. Just go with your instincts. Use a book if you need help understanding them. They're really good cards. Enjoy, everyone!

rachelcat

In the first traveling deck journey, I was one of the first users of the deck. I remember there were only about 4 or 5 signatures, so it was kind of a game to find the signed cards. This time, as I’m near the end of Le Fov’s journey, it was a different experience getting such a well-used deck with lots of signatures!

I received the deck on Friday from octoberiste. I let the box sit a while until a quiet moment opened up for me to open it up! On top was a fun, big card with a beautiful hand-woven necklace. It has a sweet silver charm that says “Follow your dreams.” What a thoughtful gift!

The well-packaged deck is in a beautiful bag. So velvety! As I looked at each card, I didn’t know whether to look at the card or the signatures first! I was flipping cards from front to back to front all evening. It is a very interesting deck. I really like the colors, but I guess I’m still getting used to the line art style. I enjoyed the interesting spelling of the titles!

On Saturday evening I did a Thanksgiving turkey reading for myself that really resonated with me. I DO have so much to be thankful for. I enjoyed noting who had signed the cards I had drawn, almost like my AT friends had chosen just the right cards for me. So I thought I would offer two readings for the two evenings I had left with the deck.

I spent all day Sunday visiting with family, so I didn’t have time to do anything that evening but shuffle!

So on Monday evening, I did Thanksgiving turkey readings for tarot4fun and thorhammer. I enjoyed getting back into reading with pips (something I’ve let slide since the DruidCraft has taken over--ummm--come into--my life!). And I was surprised at how expressive the court cards are. They are true individuals who didn’t have any trouble telling me what to say! I included who signed the cards in these readings, too, and it added a lovely nuance.

I signed the VI Covpes as I had planned. It also just happened to be the final card of the final reading I did! I think the deck is just so full of good energy, it tunes into its reader very easily!

Today at work, I carefully packed up the deck, tucked in a little something for dangerdork, sealed up the little box with way too much tape!, and gently and thankfully sent the deck off on another step on its journey.

Goodbye, little deck. I look forward to hearing more of your adventures!

And thank you to everyone who is making this great project happen!

dangerdork

from dangerdork

Day 1 - arrived home to find cards, delighted to see them. Winter has arrived here in Central Ohio, and the cards had been sitting on my front porch at 28º all day (-3º C) and were very cold to handle. I went through them, backs first, enjoying all the signatures, and then just browsed the imagery for a while.

Spammed about a zillion friends offering readings.

Day 2 - Worked all day today, just arrived home. Getting ready to lay out the cards in the Seven Stations... images to follow. I may go over and offer readings in the Readings thread too.

Did a few online readings, documented in this thread. The cards are definitely ON, easy to read, and telling coherent stories. I get a good vibe from them, just very comfortable, not a crackling-with-power kind of feel. Turning up a lot of Majors and Face cards in the readings, which I always interpret as strong messages.

Handling the cards, they are easy to handle and shuffle, a very comfortable size. They're much stiffer than I expected for a deck that has traveled and been handled so extensively, I guess they're on thicker stock than usual. The stack of 78 cards is thicker than I'm used to, which would support this.

Day 3 - Today was a special day in Central Ohio which only happens once every two years -- Columbus played host to an event widely recognized as 'the greatest rivaly in sports' - The Ohio State vs. Michigan football game. I thought since Monsieur Le Fou & Co. were in town, I'd swing by the stadium and let the pack soak up the vibes of 100,000 rabid screaming Midwestern football fans. I did so, and will report further on Day 3 after I get some sleep.

Deacon76

Just received the deck in the mail this evening! I'm looking forward to getting to know it. Been a rough week so far. Seeing it in the mailbox was definitely a treat. I will update as I read with it more.

Day 1: 3 Dec. 2008: Just got to spend about an hour with the deck. It's funny; when I first flip through a deck I don't seem to be wowed by the artwork very often. And the Marseilles Decks can seem especially ho-hum, but this is most deceptive. With this deck, it really came to life as I started to shuffle it and saw all those names darting around as I muddled the cards up. The room was positively humming with energy. My dog was there with me, and our cat Alex also wandered in. Even the gray one (our Reiki cat who doesn't like noise) hung around. When I threw the first spread I could feel the cards come alive. Amazingly, none of the three cards I drew had yet been signed. Even more amazing was the cards that came up. In order:

Ace of Coins xxx 2 of Batons xxx 3 of Batons

Don't think I've ever pulled cards sequentially before! I pulled another card later on, as my daily card. It was the 2 of Coins. Lots of symmetry there, I think. I can see myself growing to like this deck! Cody wanted a card too. He got the King of Cups, which seems to be a good fit for him. Slept with the deck, slept well and dreamt deeply.

blackstormhawk

Oooh, I am so excited! The deck arrived in the mail today, and I took it along to work with me.

The energy of the deck is very varied, but good ... indicative of all the hands it's passed through and places it's been, although I'll hazard a guess that tonight is the first time it's been in a psychiatric hospital!

If things settle down here enough, I'll start giving it a better look, otherwise, it will have to wait until I get home.

This is such a wonderful experience!

blackstormhawk

I should have known better than to try to do something fun while at work. Just about the same time that I was posting the above note announcing having received the deck, a buncha cops showed up at the front door with a screaming dude, and I spent a while being tied up tying someone up.

Yes, I get paid for this, it's legal, and it's not recreational for any of the participants. I'm guessing that PCP was involved.

~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~

What a cool deck!

I've never had any experience with the Marseilles Tarot, so this is totally new ground for me! I am appreciating the heaviness of the card stock, and like the way the cards feel in my hands. They don't lend themselves to a standard shuffle because of the thickness, and I tend not to do that to tarot decks anyway ... I'm a put 'em on the table and swirl girl.

I spent some time reading through the LWB and decided to try the suggested reading from the booklet. I drew four Majors, laid them out in a cross, and added up the numbers for the center card, asking what do I need to know now?

For the left card - past- , I drew II La Papesse ... which talks about learning about and perceiving the world, knowledge, perceiving and experiencing the world on a physical level. (yep, me to a "T")

The right card - current/future energy, I drew L'Ermite ... which I reading as moving into the more spiritual, being conscious of your quest, searching, but doing so looking outside of yourself when the answers actually lie within. (true of my journey as well)

The below card is the "feet" of the situation, where you're getting your energy from ... XVIII Le Soleil ... from relationships grounded in intimacy ...being open. I thought it was interesting that the green coloring represents hope ... hope is a big quality in my life. I use that to direct the vision of others, helping them to transform themselves. Gaining power to lend energy to others so that the energy can surge up within them as well. (spot on, I'd say. It's my day job, so to speak.)

The "head" card is IIII L'Empereur who reigns through intelligence, intuition, and heart, insights, vision, command. Does not abuse power, wields it wisely in the service of all, sacred warrior protects and governs. Give voice to his heart, devote intelligence and intuition to serving others. (also right on, this touches on my spiritual work)

So, when I do all the math and reduce, I ended up with 7 for the Center card, which is supposed to tie everything together ... VII Chariot .... once the heart is opened, the individual begins to emerge, but there's a struggle between the conscious and unconscious that impairs the ability to move forward. (yes again. I get in my own way at times. Okay, A LOT. because of my tendency to overthink things, to overintellectualize much of the spiritual, trying to treat intuition rationally.)

Pretty cool for hot out of the box.

Of course, a whole bunch of people warmed 'em up for me!!

blackstormhawk

The deck is now on it's way to Silaria.

I have enjoyed the time I spent with it! I don't think that the experience is converting me into a Marseilles fan, but it was interesting to work with a deck based on a different system, especially how the colors are part of the language of symbology.

This was great fun!

Silaria

I tried to PM Raya that I received the deck today (12 Dec) but her PM Mailbox is full.

My first impression is WOW! There is some very nice energy on this deck from all the hands it has passed through.

I went through all the cards to look for the signatures and it was great to see names I see here daily on those cards. Hopefully I'll have a chance to do a short spread with them later tonight or tomorrow.

Silaria

Silaria

Well, though my time with the Jean Noblet was very short and I couldn't spend a lot of time with it during it's 5 day visit due to the holidays and last minute job related projects, I can honestly say I'm glad to be part of this journey.

When I received the deck on December 15th, the first thing I noticed was a wonderful and warm energy about it. The Jean Noblet was my first real experience with a Marseilles style deck and, while I'm certain that style Tarot is for me I'm grateful for a chance to work with the system.

On the 16th I was able to do one reading with the cards; a three card spread for the new year, "Career, Family, Social". I'll have a more detail on this spread in a later post since my notes and the pictures are at home. I also signed the Wheel of Fortune card - my birth card.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to spend any time with the deck on the 17th due to prior commitments - a dog training class. By the time I got home, I was really too tired after a long day to really do anything other than sleep.

On the 18th, I hoped to do another reading with the cards but ended up having to work that night. I was able to take the majors and lay them out in a rows of 7 cards (with the exception of Le Fou) and just study the images for a little while. I made some notes which, while probably very obvious to those who work with Marseilles cards regularly where things that leaped out at me because they were so incredibly different from RWS style cards. I'll post these notes when I post my spread information since, again, the notes are at home.

I sent the deck off to Baroli this morning, the 19th. It's a little earlier than I would have liked but I know what I have to do tonight and there wouldn't be any time for the Noblet so, rather that it sit idol, I decided to send forward.

The next time a traveling deck happens, I'll have to make sure I join in because this really was a fantastic experience.