AT Travelling Member Deck~Second Journey - Discussion thread

raeanne

Elven said:
... what if on sending the deck, each person sends a postcard to Daizy ... something representing where it has just moved from ... most postoffices have postcards ... could even be the tackiest postcard you can find :p or the pretiest, or no-theme.
At the end of the decks travels the postcards belong to the deck.

just an idea :D

If I remember correctly from the last time, it was hard enough to get people to stick to the timeline. Adding more obligations, and cost, might be asking for more trouble. I know postcards aren't very expensive but it is just another hoop to jump through. If we have the online journal, why would we need to send a postcard to Daizdy with basically the same information? If you want to do a post card exchange, then do that separately. Also, the online journal is available to everyone, not just the person who wins the deck. If there gets to be a bunch of other strings attached, I think it subtracks from the joy of just spending time with the deck. I got lost on all the hoops last time around - post a message on the day you get the deck, send an e-mail to Daizdy saying you got the deck, post the date on the postmark, post to the journal explaining everything you did with the deck, buy a card or something for the next person, post a message on the day you sent the deck on. If you didn't follow all the steps in the right order you didn't get the proper incentive marks. Sheesh, all I wanted to do was enjoy the deck and send it on. I like the idea of a traveling deck but all the extra stuff just gets in the way. If everyone wants to add on all the extras, I will probably not join in this time around.

gregory

It is important to contact Daizdy and so on - that was brought in after people started arguing about how long they get to keep it, and even just keeping it a few days extra because it "didn't matter losing a day" (multiplied by 50-odd, that is a long time !) - and at one point no-one even knew where it WAS. That was really scary....

If people can't post a quick PM to Daizdy (or even in the progress/comments, rather than the journal thread) they aren't likely to stick to timetables - and thatt IS important.
Last time a small hiccup in Luxembourg (remember that ;) ???) meant that the order of the last few people had to be switched around in a hurry.... If we hadn't all been keeping in touch, it would have arrived at my house while I was away for a month.... NOT good.

raeanne

gregory said:
It is important to contact Daizdy and so on

Yes, I agree which is why I think we need to keep it as simple as possible. There are certain things that have to be done but if you start adding on a bunch of extras then it just gets to be confusing and detracks from the purpose of enjoying the deck.

Netzach

Elven said:
I what if on sending the deck, each person sends a postcard to Daizy ... something representing where it has just moved from ... most postoffices have postcards ... could even be the tackiest postcard you can find :p or the pretiest, or no-theme.
At the end of the decks travels the postcards belong to the deck.

That's a fun idea!

Daizdy

raeanne said:
Yes, I agree which is why I think we need to keep it as simple as possible. There are certain things that have to be done but if you start adding on a bunch of extras then it just gets to be confusing and detracks from the purpose of enjoying the deck.
There would not have been a need for hoop jumping if some had done what they should have done. You're blaming the hoops when you should be blaming the individuals.

This time around there will be incentives to encourage people to stick to the time limit and not leave me wondering where the bleep the deck is. There will be quarterly drawings for prizes for those who adhere to the timetable and again an extra * for the notification.

Hoops, rules, obligations, requirements... call them what you like but they are put in place for a reason...a good reason...No one was twisting your arm to participate in the last one and I doubt anyone will twist Your arm to participate in this one...

gregory

Way to go Daizdy; let us all remember what a horrible time she had early in the flight of the last one. She is doing this again; we owe it to her to follow the rules she sets. :D

Which is why I rather agree that COMPULSORY postcards to Daizdy would be an added nuisance. If people WANT to send them - that's something else. (And of course if she wants to receive them.... ;))

raeanne

I am not blaming the hoops. I am not blaming anyone for anything. I believe that there needs to be rules. My concern was with adding in extras such as the postcards. My feeling is that the only thing we need is posting when we get the deck, posting to the journal, and posting when we send it on. I think anything other than that just bogs it down. That is my feeling. I'm not saying that anyone else has to feel that way. I've already said that if there are other things added in I may not participate. Why are you attacking me?

magpie9

I don't think anyone is attacking you, raeanne, I think the idea (and history) of people not following the rules they agreed to is being attacked, as is the idea of making this more complicated than it just naturally is.

firecatpickles

Simplify.

raeanne

Daizdy said:
...No one was twisting your arm to participate in the last one and I doubt anyone will twist Your arm to participate in this one...
This sounded agressive to me. I was just trying to point out some things that might cause problems in the future. If the group wants to add in buying gifts, and sending postcards, then that is what the group wants to do. Fine. But I personally think that on a project this big, the simpler, the better.