Cruel Thing Deck, just got it!

irmata

I loooove the look of this deck, both the artwork and the colour scheme. What can I say, if it walks like a goth and quacks like a goth... ;P

But Alidastore is closed waaaah! And I don't really know how to find the deck on their site. I'm also interested to see a few more of the minors. I'm not averse to non-illustrated pips, I just don't want them to be a rushed afterthought. It's great to hear from the artist that he put a little more work into them than was required!

rwcarter

irmata said:
I'm also interested to see a few more of the minors. I'm not averse to non-illustrated pips, I just don't want them to be a rushed afterthought. It's great to hear from the artist that he put a little more work into them than was required!
Do you have like 4 that you'd like to see? I should have time on Sunday to scan and post them.

Rodney

Hathor

Even the pips are awesome, and this coming from a person who doesn't fancy non-illustrated pips. They are elegant, and for me, there is something really special about the 6 of cups. I don't believe you will be dissappointed.

Hathor

irmata

Thank you for your kind offer, Rodney (are you enjoying the deck?) Metafizzypop has saved you the trouble :) Hooray for the Aeclectic forums!

irmata

Oh dear. I... I think I'm in love!

Just looking at the deck online, the cards wouldn't stop yelling at me. This is a _very_ vocal deck. The only ones that disappoint are the court cards, but who knows, maybe they're just being deep & mysterious ;)

Le Fanu

My partner brought this back from a business trip to Barcelona last week.

Interesting deck to have, but way, way too small. Each time I get it out, I like it, but it really could do with being bigger. Can anyone fill me in on who Cruel Thing is? is it a comic strip I should know about?

Interesting pips. just the suit symbols, but they immediately convey the RWS just by dint of the way that they are organised. Interesting technique. You look at the 3 of Pentacles and you see, in your mind's eye, that church window from the RWS. You look at the 8 and immediately see the RWS. In the 4 of SWords, one of the Swords is "resting." I don't think Ive seen this anywhere else and I think it is a very interesting take on non-scenic pips, as they are essentially "abstractedly" scenic!

rwcarter

Le Fanu said:
My partner brought this back from a business trip to Barcelona last week.

Interesting deck to have, but way, way too small. Each time I get it out, I like it, but it really could do with being bigger. Can anyone fill me in on who Cruel Thing is? is it a comic strip I should know about?

Interesting pips. just the suit symbols, but they immediately convey the RWS just by dint of the way that they are organised. Interesting technique. You look at the 3 of Pentacles and you see, in your mind's eye, that church window from the RWS. You look at the 8 and immediately see the RWS. In the 4 of SWords, one of the Swords is "resting." I don't think Ive seen this anywhere else and I think it is a very interesting take on non-scenic pips, as they are essentially "abstractedly" scenic!
From the first post in the thread ;):

Apparently Cruel Thing is a comic book character in Spain.

I hadn't looked at the pips in terms of their RWS positionings. I'll have to try that!

And I definitely wouldn't have minded the cards being larger.

Rodney

Le Fanu

rwcarter said:
I hadn't looked at the pips in terms of their RWS positionings. I'll have to try that!
Look at them closely and it's quite apparent. These must be the most-RWS non-scenic pips Ive ever seen in a deck.

I knew that Cruel thing was a comic strip character, but I just don't know much more than that...

Tansey Ella

Just ordered from alida. OK!