Crystal Ball

celticnoodle

first of all, TB offers great advice. Its much easier if you can cut out most of the light in the room, so you won't see the light and things in the room in that ball. I had one book that mentioned covering your head and the ball with a dark cloth--(it recommended black--but I was not going to go out to buy a black cloth then-so I found a light weight blanket so I could still breathe--that was solid color and would block out the other stuff and light in the room).

After awhile, you get use to blockign that stuff out anyway--and it doesn't really matter, though I try to sit in an area with just a little bit of light and not much around to be picked up in the ball.

Now, mind, I'm not much into ball scrying either-I much prefer the cards or closing my eyes to make contact, but the above are some ideas. I did have a client and also my sister once, buy a large piece of black velvet for me to use with my balls--but now when I do use them, I don't really need to use that or a blanket, :p--just sit in an area with a little bit of light. Interestingly enough, the ball that I see the most in is a bit smaller then a golf ball and a bit larger - small bit larger then a shooter marble. It is also filled with inclusions, but I see things like crazy in it when I gaze.

Hubs bought me a large clear crystal ball a few years ago. Never had much luck when using it but never thought to add colour either.

I've had a lovely black gothic style scrying mirror for a few years as well, with about the same amount of luck.

I do see different images build up in the mirror, but there's too much of my reflection there to make anything distinct out. I probably didn't use either properly. Perhaps I could do with a book as well. Think I'll have a google first - this has set me off again!
Perhaps trying to change the lighting and/or covering with a lightweight blanket (so you can still breathe!) will help? I have a large clear crystal ball too-and I can't recall ever getting anything in that at all tbh. But, it's beautiful and I love it. Its also very heavy--like a bowling ball, lol. :rolleyes: so I cannot hold it.

I like to be able to hold the ball in my hand, move it around while gazing into it. that seems to work for me.

Our daughter is great at reading crystal balls. she sits in her dining room, dims the lights and sometimes lights a candle.

getting a crystal ball or mirror has been nagging at me lately....
leaning towards the crystal ball...
got a few books a few months ago on scrying that spurred this nagging...

"scrying for beginners" by donald tyson

"exploring scrying" by ambrose hawk

and "solitary seance" by raymond buckland

you know, amethyst, crystal balls do not have to be expensive either. you can find small round balls at a decent price--even under $10.00. it doesn't have to be clear either--colored balls, even marbles can work! and, if you really want to try--many people use a bowl of water--or ice water to scry. At first I thought it had to be a bowl that was black or very dark inside the bowl, but then family members & friends who gaze told me it didn't matter a hoot as to what color the bowl was--or if it was glass or cut glass. In fact, some had their preference--and some also preferred putting ice in it where others just used tap water. You'll get the same effect - and gives you an alternative to try till you can afford the ball you like.

another fantastic book which I just found online at Barnes and Noble for a great price of just $8.38 is called "Crystal Ball Gazing" by Uma Silbey. I have this book and found it wonderful!

Babs, this is the book I was thinking about. I remembered the name "Silbey" incorrectly however, thinking her first name was something like Sybil. :p But, this is the book and I highly recommend this one too. It is not very big--and easy to read through--which I also like. comes in paperback.

DownwardSpiral

I have a beautiful obsidian sphere but it is very small, I really want a scrying mirror but they are very expensive. I am hoping to get one for Christmas :)

You can make one......it's easy and cheap. Just get a picture frame (dollar stores are great if you have them where you are) take out the glass and paint it. I used black as well as dark blue. You can use spray paint or paint the color on with a brush. I've read some articles that say use glossy paint, others say flat paint...I used flat paint and just painted two coats. When you put the glass back in the frame the painted side goes to the back.

DownwardSpiral

:( I'm so jealous I can't get a crystal ball here in Australia and the Americans won't ship me one booooo hooooo. I need to move country I think ;)

You can also scry with a crystal "palm stone" or really any piece of crystal that has a large enough surface to look into.

DownwardSpiral

Don't forget - a crystal ball is like a big eyeball/magnifying glass, so the ambient lighting has a lot to to with it; also the same for a scrying mirror.

I found that I had to have the mirror about 2 feet away from me, tilted slightly back so my face did not reflect in it. I also experimented in a dark room with candle placement until I found the 'best spots' to put the candles and the best angle for the mirror. This is not like using a smartphone 'Oh -let me grab my mirror and see what I see' type of thing.

I don't do crystal ball scrying, but I know you have to learn to 'tune-out' a lot because every object in the room, on the walls, the cat box in the corner - all reflect in the ball, so it, too, has a lot to do with 'placement,' so putting it on a brightly flowered tablecloth might interfere, too.

Yes, Yes, and yes to this! A magnifying glass and then some. With my crystal balls (colored but see through) I tried natural light, the overhead light, candle light, a dark cloth underneath. It's almost impossible to get the reflections out of the ball. Now I know why some people buy balls with inclusions in them. I finally saw something in my crystal ball when I put a white tissue underneath it and set it on my windowsill. I would love to buy a light colored solid (colored) crystal ball. I think the "key" with crystal balls is not only to relax your eyes but you really have to learn to "ignore" the reflections in the ball. I do know some people use the inclusions as a "focal point".

@amethyst57......I found a scrying mirror much easier to scry in than a crystal ball. Also as CN mentioned you could also scry with a bowl of water. I've tried a black bowl with water and also my coffee (I drink it black) in a white cup. I had no problems getting either to cloud over but the coffee was alot easier on my eyes.

Oh and as TB mentioned I also tilt my mirror back far enough so that my reflection isn't in it.

firefrost

Perhaps trying to change the lighting and/or covering with a lightweight blanket (so you can still breathe!) will help? I have a large clear crystal ball too-and I can't recall ever getting anything in that at all tbh. But, it's beautiful and I love it. Its also very heavy--like a bowling ball, lol. :rolleyes: so I cannot hold it.

I like to be able to hold the ball in my hand, move it around while gazing into it. that seems to work for me.

Our daughter is great at reading crystal balls. she sits in her dining room, dims the lights and sometimes lights a candle.

Yes, mine is like a bowling ball. I must try a smaller coloured one, I'm curious now! Your daughter's readings sound really serene. :)

SunChariot

Uma Silbey's The Complete Crystal Guidebook contains a very detailed explanation of how to work with a crystal ball.

Your library may have it. Sadly, someone had stolen my library's copy; luckily I found a used copy online at a very inexpensive price.

Got my copy today! And I read the section and it was fascinating! I wanted to stop in and thank you. :heart:

Of course it is all theory so far as my ball has not arrived yet. BUT it ought to very soon,

In the interum I ordered these two. I was so excited I ordered more.

http://www.phoenixorion.com/phoenixorion/crystals/spheres/selenite.htm
(have always LOVED selenite

and

http://www.phoenixorion.com/phoenixorion/gazingballs/ab_rose_crystal_ball.htm

Just SO excited!

Babs

Rhoswen

Got my copy today! And I read the section and it was fascinating! I wanted to stop in and thank you. :heart:

You are quite welcome! I'm delighted to be of service. I love to recommend books, and I'm thrilled when someone finds the recommendation useful. So sweet of you to follow up! :heart:

Your balls look beautiful. I'm anxious to hear of your experiences once you're working with them.

I'm thinking/hoping that somewhere in my condo I brought back my childhood marble collection when I emptied my mother's house after she died. It included several large "purees" that I loved. Now I realize I could use them for scrying. Time for a prayer to St. Anthony, I think!

Lourdez

I am in Canada. But the place I ordered from is the place I found the nicest things at. And it WAS in the USA. SO for me the shipping was expensive a bit. It was a 5.9 lb box and it cost as much to ship is as it did to order it. But me it was worth it. If you actually in the US, you can get free shipping I think.

The site is here:

http://www.phoenixorion.com/phoenixorion/gazingballs.htm

And they do seem to ship to your country. You can check first what the shipping charges are. But the balls and stands themselves do not seem that expesive. You can see here the countries they ship to. I just think they have beautiful things!

http://phoenixorion.com/phoenixorion/international.htm

Hope this helps :heart:

Babs

Thank you Babs thanks to you I finally found and ordered one. I ve always been intrigued and now it's about to happen so thanks for this thread ;)

SunChariot

Don't you just LOVE AT, where people from all over the world with varying levels of knowledge of different things can get together to help each other? What is better than that? :heart:

@ Rhoswen: :heart: I have aleady read the section on cystal balls in the book you remcommended and I am fascinated. I can just imagine myself "entering" the ball in much the same way that I enter a Tarot card in a meditation/reading. I don't have my balls yet, but I can imagine it just as they describe it in the book.

I am not expecting to see a miracle the first time of anything, but I can see it and I can imagine it happening for me in that way. SO fascinating. I am hoping my first ball will show up next week so I can play. :grin:

I don't even know enough to choose one really you would think, my intuition is talking toi me. When I see some of them online I can feel that I could see something into them and with others I feel nothing or even a mild sense of repulsion about the colour. I think my intuiiton is working on this.

@ Lourdez: :heart: I am excited to be sharing this experience with you. We are both in the same boat and waiting for orders from the same company. Did they write you back too and send you a coupon for 10% off your next order?

That is how i happened to buy more. LOL

I am really intrigued too after reading more about how they work. What a fascinating thing they are!

I would love to hear which one you ordered. I LOVE all the balls on that site. They are all so gorgeous!

I will be getting my package first. Since I ordered mine before yours AND because Canada is closer to the US than Australia is. I will let you know when I get mine and will add in photois of my actual set.

You can always PM me anytime you want if you want to compare notes, as we will be learning around the same time.:grin:

Did I say I am excited??? LOL

Babs

SunChariot

I'm thinking/hoping that somewhere in my condo I brought back my childhood marble collection when I emptied my mother's house after she died. It included several large "purees" that I loved. Now I realize I could use them for scrying. Time for a prayer to St. Anthony, I think!

Wishing you all the best luck in finding them. But I know you will. If you are meant to use them for scrying then they will be found. :grin:

Babs