Deck of the Week : Sign-up Thread: Week 248 : April 30 - May 6

VGimlet

Epic tarot - I still am not sure how I feel about it. It's not awful, I just am still not certain I want to spend more time with it in the future. Which probably means I SHOULD put it on the more later list. Waffle, waffle waffle.

VGimlet

Is it a bit like the Arcus Arcanum (without the comic book artwork)?
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/arcus-arcanum/

No, it's a bit different, the Arcus tells a story the Epic is more about...lots of epic stories, lol. I like classic comic book art which is why I got the Arcus many moons ago. The AA has too many blonde people for my taste. and it feels a bit...Aryan, almost. (Which is why I loathe it.)

The Epic feels just a bit disjointed as to which epic story is being told when, IMO. And in some cases I'm not even sure which Epic story is being referred too. But I think I'm going to use it later. It's interesting enough.

desertrat

Ooohh, desertrat, I would love to know what you think of Dreaming Way. That deck intrigues me, but I have no idea if I could read with it or not; it's not my typical style of art. But it still intrigues me. :)

Green Faerie, I positively love the Dreaming Way, but mostly because I find it so beautiful. It's become one of my favorites. The artwork is sweet and unique. The backgrounds of many of the images contain faint wallpaper-type texturing. It's difficult to describe, but I am charmed by the effect. The deck follows the RWS system rather closely (although it's not what I would consider a clone) with just a few quirky oddball cards, like the Three of Pentacles. So if you are comfortable with RWS, you would be able to read this deck as well. However, if the artwork doesn't appeal to you, you may want to pass.

After spending some time with my Sacred Circle tarot, I have mixed feelings.

Surprisingly, I really like the physical appearance of the cards. (I know they are not everyone's cup of tea!). I love the card stock, the size, the gorgeously vibrant colors and the pagan theme. The borders don't bother me at all, and neither does the photographic art style.

The readings, however, are going nowhere. Not a fan of "pips", but I think the problem goes beyond that. Even when I pull majors and courts cards, I stare at them with a furrowed brow, going "Hmmmm.....well....aahhh.....pphhhhht". Frustrating! I may need to spend another week with Sacred Circle to see if time, patience and a read-through of the companion book might help.

Not having much luck with my Messenger Oracle either!! :mad:

Pips are HARD ! :(

DaughterOfDanu

I enjoyed my week with the Crystal Visions Tarot. It's a deck I usually use for others as they request it quite a bit when they get readings from me. And no wonder with all those beautiful colors and feminine artwork. It's not a deck I'm drawn to really connect deeply with, but it does help break up the ruts I get into when I'm just using the handful of decks that I feel connected to rather than the many, many, many others in my collection I seem to never touch. The Oracle of the Mermaids and I are still getting acquainted. I feel it'll become a deck I use personally and on the rare occasion with others for readings about self love and femininity.

RiverRunsDeep

That's a shame! Is it something in particular that is giving you trouble? :)

Thanks for asking. :) My trouble is a matter of personal preference. I like to read my oracles intuitively, but I have to rely on the companion book for my Messengers deck. The readings make perfect sense when I refer to the book, but I wish the cards would spark my intuition more. Maybe my frustration with the Sacred Circle deck is carrying over to the oracle cards! :p **sigh** I'm not ready to give up on the Messenger oracle, so I think I will put it aside for now and try again at a later date.

BodhiSeed

I like classic comic book art which is why I got the Arcus many moons ago. The AA has too many blonde people for my taste. and it feels a bit...Aryan, almost. (Which is why I loathe it.)
Exactly why mine didn't stay for long either. :)

jema

I traded mine away years ago. Sometimes I see it cheap on swedish ebay and think of getting it just cause i could sell it, but i simply cannot be bothered.
I know I would never use it myself. Too aryan brotherhood for me.

jema

Stretch tarot is mean to me this week. 3 towers and a 10 of swords.
Time to move on tomorrow I guess :p