Do you throw out tarot deck boxes?

zan_chan

Nearly all of my decks are stored in their original boxes. Only my everyday use decks (Haindl and Thoth) are kept in bags, as are any decks I've been given as a gift in a bag. I think the boxes are convenient for storage since they stack so well and are so clearly labeled. I tried doing the "store everything in a bag" thing before, and my stacks were always collapsing and I had no idea which deck was which. So now I'm over bags. Saves money, too. :)

WyrdRaven

I went through a phase when I felt that the boxes were too commercial-looking to properly house the decks. I threw my boxes away and put my decks in bags instead. I feel so badly about that now. Wish I'd left them in their boxes! The hilarious thing is, now that time has passed, I find I don't care for the bags!!!

Carla

I used to throw away the boxes, but now I keep them. I don't keep my decks in boxes, unless they're really good boxes (like the Vanessa tin or the Golden Tarot box). However, the decks I've traded haven't had the box with them, and people don't seem to mind. If you want the deck you want the deck, I guess, box or no box.

Miss Divine

Often the deck/book kits only have the large outer box. So no seperate box for the cards itself. I've thrown these boxes away because they're just a waste of space, and put those decks in bags.

From the trimmed decks, I've also chucked the boxes in the garbage.

GadgetGirl

zan_chan said:
Nearly all of my decks are stored in their original boxes. Only my everyday use decks (Haindl and Thoth) are kept in bags, as are any decks I've been given as a gift in a bag. I think the boxes are convenient for storage since they stack so well and are so clearly labeled. I tried doing the "store everything in a bag" thing before, and my stacks were always collapsing and I had no idea which deck was which. So now I'm over bags. Saves money, too. :)

I think I'm inclined to agree with this (even though I have 5 Baba Bags winging their way to me). My decks look an utter shambles at the moment as they're all in bags and are higglety pigglety in their piles.

I'm assuming Zan that you don't have very many decks that came with companion books and therefore the very big boxes? Or do you still store your decks in those with the books?

nisaba

Many boxes disintegrate with use.

I like tie-dyed watered-silk squares, and the occasional cotton square if the colour is particularly lovely. I have a couple of velvet bags, a couple of satin bags, a number of satin-embroidered bags from Gregory and a sensational off-white cotton bag from Zan_Chan. I also have a heap of cheap organza-like synthetic bags.

These last I'm generally using as an added layer of protection for favoured decks that I haven't found an appropriate Silk for yet - I'll keep them inside their boxes in the bags.

GadgetGirl

nisaba said:
Many boxes disintegrate with use.

I like tie-dyed watered-silk squares, and the occasional cotton square if the colour is particularly lovely. I have a couple of velvet bags, a couple of satin bags, a number of satin-embroidered bags from Gregory and a sensational off-white cotton bag from Zan_Chan. I also have a heap of cheap organza-like synthetic bags.

These last I'm generally using as an added layer of protection for favoured decks that I haven't found an appropriate Silk for yet - I'll keep them inside their boxes in the bags.

Your silks are stunning. Stun-ning! May I ask where you get them from please?

nisaba

GadgetGirl said:
Your silks are stunning. Stun-ning! May I ask where you get them from please?
<gasp>

<jumps around, looking behind me>

You've *seen* them???

I've got a few from New-Age shops. I've got some from markets direct from the artisans. I've got many from the Australian Geographic shop (which has stopped carrying them, and I was tearful all day when I found out).

The Australian Geographic shop, both in Erina Fair on NSW and in Esperance in WA, was a *really* Happy Hunting Ground for many years. How *dare* they tell me that the silks didn't sell? As soon as I saw them on any occasion I bought all of them, I tell you, all of them! <froths at mouth>

When my Tarot collection got filmed by these guys, the cameraman was unhappy with the backgrounds that my humble abode provided, so he brought in a tonne of poles and erected a scaffolding all around me, and he and the director/producer, an enchanting lady called Tracey Smith, draped all my tie-dyed silks around me as a colourful background. And there was me dressed mainstream, trying not to look like a crazy fat hippy-gypsy! They made a gypsy-tent out of my living-room, anyway, despite my most conventional intentions. <grin>

And yes, when it goes to air, I'll be letting you know when and where, plus finding the links to the "segment" podcast on the website. At the moment, I have no idea when. If you look past my sunny-smiling-face, you'll see all of my silks fluttering gracefully around me. I also insisted that Alan film me doing my special "wrap a deck up in a silk to make a tight, protective bundle" act. It'll be down to how Tracey edits four hours of useable film into a three and a half minute segment, as to what survives to air.

gregory

Mine all live in their boxes. With a COUPLE, the boxes live inside wooden boxes or bags as well.

Nissy - you posted (extremely small) photos of your collection recently in another context... - I too have seen your silks ! They are stunning.

GadgetGirl

nisaba said:
<gasp>

<jumps around, looking behind me>

You've *seen* them???

I've got a few from New-Age shops. I've got some from markets direct from the artisans. I've got many from the Australian Geographic shop (which has stopped carrying them, and I was tearful all day when I found out).

The Australian Geographic shop, both in Erina Fair on NSW and in Esperance in WA, was a *really* Happy Hunting Ground for many years. How *dare* they tell me that the silks didn't sell? As soon as I saw them on any occasion I bought all of them, I tell you, all of them! <froths at mouth>

When my Tarot collection got filmed by these guys, the cameraman was unhappy with the backgrounds that my humble abode provided, so he brought in a tonne of poles and erected a scaffolding all around me, and he and the director/producer, an enchanting lady called Tracey Smith, draped all my tie-dyed silks around me as a colourful background. And there was me dressed mainstream, trying not to look like a crazy fat hippy-gypsy! They made a gypsy-tent out of my living-room, anyway, despite my most conventional intentions. <grin>

And yes, when it goes to air, I'll be letting you know when and where, plus finding the links to the "segment" podcast on the website. At the moment, I have no idea when. If you look past my sunny-smiling-face, you'll see all of my silks fluttering gracefully around me. I also insisted that Alan film me doing my special "wrap a deck up in a silk to make a tight, protective bundle" act. It'll be down to how Tracey edits four hours of useable film into a three and a half minute segment, as to what survives to air.

Oh my goodness! How fabulous. You must be thrilled. I know I would be.

But it's not an easy job finding these lovely silks. I did manage to find 2 in Vanuatu but even there it's really hard to find them without "Vanuatu" splashed all over them. I'm going back in 10 months so will have another good look then.

So once your decks are in a silk do you ditch the box?