Do you throw out tarot deck boxes?

Alta

I saw the post above about moving to a smaller place. My decks live in their small boxes if they have them, otherwise in small 'paper' storage shelves. I keep the larger kit boxes but am sure that if (when?) I decide to move into a place with less storage they will be gone.

Reasons? I find the decks easier to store in their boxes and if the boxes rip, I mend them. My Phoenix Tarot now has several layers of packing tape! I like the bags but mainly use them when my decks are being transported, downtown to a pub these days as often as anything. :)

I have quite a few tarot bags but use them for all sorts of things that are not tarot decks, hahaha.....

tarotberry

I guess I'm a hybrid...

I keep most decks in their original boxes in a big wooden box. I have a few pretty silk/cloth bags that I use for the deck in my purse and the ones laying around my house.

Regardless, I vote for keeping the boxes because you never know when your preference will change. When I started collecting decks a million years ago, I bought into the cards-must-be-kept-in-silk thing and pitched the boxes. Later on, I grew more comfy doing my own thing and my OCD streak really wanted those tidy little boxes back! :p

*Love* the flattening out the box suggestion...

zan_chan

GadgetGirl said:
I'm assuming Zan that you don't have very many decks that came with companion books and therefore the very big boxes? Or do you still store your decks in those with the books?

Correct! I'm rarely a fan of companion books, but if I do buy a set and it's the Llewellyn type with a separate small box for the deck, then I'll chuck the flimsy outer box, put the deck in it's wee box with my others, and hide the companion book on a shelf somewhere :p If it's the Baba style kit box without a smaller box for the deck, then I keep the whole thing together on a shelf. I do hate those big boxes, though. I find that I use the deck much less than I would otherwise because of the cumbersome box and having to unpack it all each time.

Le Fanu

nisaba said:
Many boxes disintegrate with use.
What is it with the place where you live? Boxes disintegrate, cards get consumed with acid, go brittle then implode...

Most decks are in boxes; it's the most convenient way for the shelves, but the ones I "use" (I use that in the general sense) are in bags at arm's reach. I would say that about 40 of my favourite decks are in bags/wooden boxes/wrapped in spread cloths/whatever. The rest are in their boxes.

I flatten all the boxes once I have removed the deck and store them in a Llewellyn box.

I would expect a serious discount on a deck without the box. Just so you all know in case you're thinking of trading with me ;)

nisaba

GadgetGirl said:
So once your decks are in a silk do you ditch the box?
Oh, yes. Silks are for the decks that I'm never going to part with, so there is no need to keep the boxes.

nisaba

Le Fanu said:
What is it with the place where you live? Boxes disintegrate,
<cackle> I have so few decks that I actually have to use many of them more than once ....

Oh, woe is me.

firefrost

I'd never get rid of any tarot box (even the useless ones!). My VR Gold box has been showing continual signs of wear and shabbiness for some time now, but I love it!

My Vieville came to me brand new with a falling apart box - it all added to the character.

I do make crocheted bags, and have my first edition Anna K in one - some of you will know exactly what that box was like... :neutral:

irisa

I used to keep packaging *just in case* 'till I struck a hard bargain with my beloved! He ditched the millions (and I do mean millions) of jiffi bags he was keeping *just in case* and I trashed all my empty boxes. We have an almost empty loft space now... well we did last time I looked :D

My duplicate decks are in original boxes but my working decks have all ditched their boxes are wrapped, bagged or tagged to stop them leaving the house :D

irisa :)

Lilija

My rotating very well used and abused decks get bags. Nice, fancy bags. Their boxes get flattened and kept in a wooden chest. The rest of the decks, the ones I'd be ok with trading, get left in their box, and stacked in drawers. Sometimes box decks get promoted to bags, and sometimes bag decks get demoted.

jgoreham

I haven't really decided yet. When I collected video games more actively, I tended to un-box but keep the box elsewhere (especially for imports or limited editions). I think what I'll probably end up doing with my decks is making nice wraps/bags for the ones I use, but ultimately keeping the boxes flat and out-of-sight, and keep decks I'm less crazy about but haven't traded/sold off in the box on my book shelf. I don't plan to go crazy-go-nuts collecting decks, though- I'd like to keep my collection modestly sized, and a mostly working collection.