Indigo Children.

Feretian

Cat* very neatly covered much of my thinking on the subject, but I just can't shut up sometimes...

The concept of a being part of a new wave of humanity seems to me merely a way to make our selves and our children feel special, individual, apart from the squawking and pecking of our neighbors. Of course you and your child are one-of-a-kind, special, and worthy of notice for your gifts, but so are most of the other six billion human beings squawking next to you. Most of them don't have the affluence and freedom to contemplate such evolutionary changes, though. Are Indigo Children being born in Nagpur? Seoul? Omsk? Who's taking care of them? Are they aware of their superior developmental status?

I don't mean to personally attack anyone who holds these beliefs, so I apologise in advance for my clumsy attempt at communicating my feelings.

Cat*

gregory said:
I'm with Cat here (and hi, great to see you back.)

I don't; think we need to invent new categories for people, and I don't like dividing people into groups anyway.
Hi back. :)

I'm all for strategic categorizing, because sometimes it seems like the only way to get some points across in a reasonable amount of time. But I've grown more and more suspicious of "fixed" identity groups, especially when they come with an undercurrent of "us (= better) vs. them (= not as good)."

Feretian said:
Cat* very neatly covered much of my thinking on the subject, but I just can't shut up sometimes...
I've been known to quote Wikipedia articles and/or elaborate on my thoughts in great detail, too, so please no excuses for that. :)

Feretian said:
The concept of a being part of a new wave of humanity seems to me merely a way to make our selves and our children feel special, individual, apart from the squawking and pecking of our neighbors. Of course you and your child are one-of-a-kind, special, and worthy of notice for your gifts, but so are most of the other six billion human beings squawking next to you. Most of them don't have the affluence and freedom to contemplate such evolutionary changes, though. Are Indigo Children being born in Nagpur? Seoul? Omsk? Who's taking care of them? Are they aware of their superior developmental status?
Exactly. I, too, worry about what such concepts mean for the people who are NOT born Indigo/Crystal people. Sure, there is the "loophole" of becoming one by hard spiritual work, but that already assumes a life that isn't centered around the most basic survival every single day - and that's still not a given for a great deal of humanity.

I also mean no offense to anyone, because who am I to judge what path is the right one for others? I just would like to see more discussion about the responsibilities of Indigo/Crystal people (if we assume they exist) instead of all that talk about the good things they could do if only they weren't so misunderstood. Sure, let's recognize all those talents and abilities, but let's also ask how such "gifted" people deal with the rest of humanity. What do they DO with their special talents that serves the "greater good?" I had a quote by Jenny Holzer on my monitor for a long time that said "potential counts for nothing until it's realized". I think that nicely sums it up. Oh, and by the way, I'd like to see the same in any other discussion about special abilities, including but not limited to "intellectual giftedness." This is not Indigo/Crystal-specific. And I also keep asking myself that question and don't always have a satisfying answer to it. But I keep searching for it.

Aulruna

We already had a lengthy and in-depth discussion on this topic some months ago, with some very valid points being made, so if anyone's interested, this is the link:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=95354

Just to add, the whole concept is rather contrary to my view of the world and also to my utopia of how I'd like the world to be :D

Sophie

Cat* said:
I'm deeply skeptical of the whole concept of "Indigo" or "Crystal" children because anything that puts some humans in a category that is regarded as "better by birth" raises deep mistrust in me. Which is not to say that I don't believe that some people seem to have "inborn" talents that others have not. But I don't think it makes them better people, and certainly not automatically.

That said, I've found much of the information about Indigo Children to be very similar to what I've learned about highly gifted people. Sometimes it seems like the concept of Indigo Children is nothing but an esoteric/spiritual wrapping for the same issues that are discussed elsewhere as the particular experiences, perceptions, and behaviors of highly gifted people. It also reminds me of attempts to frame AD(H)D and dyslexia (etc.) as particular ways to perceive the world and to try to re-value them as talents/abilities and to rid them of their association with pathology. [ETA: To clarify, I've found a lot of the material about "highly gifted" people tremendously helpful for either myself and other people in my life. Especially when it taught me/us some humility and made me/us aware of the responsibility that comes with such "gifts". And anything that focuses on people's abilities instead of their/our faults and difficulties (as in the case of looking differently at AD(H)D, dyslexia, Asperger's, autism, etc.) is usually good in my world. I just don't think that having unusual abilities, no matter if they are "spiritual" or completely "secular," and no matter if they are generally recognized as abilities or not, automatically makes you a better person.]

I'm not sure if I'm able to say what I mean here, but I'd recommend checking out "regular" sources about highly gifted people, too, when you think you're dealing with an Indigo Child or consider yourself to be one. Not as a contradiction to what has been said about Indigo Children but as additional material that might help with explaining things or with dealing with them.
:thumbsup:

I've also noticed that some children who have learning difficulties, and some who are badly behaved, are called "Indigo Children" - as though that label made their learning or behavioural problems somehow better. I'm not sure it is at all helpful to them, and might end up alienating them from their fellows even more.

For a couple of years, I was bullied at school for being "gifted" and intuitive, allied to a capacity to verbalise thoughts that many of my classmates didn't have. I can't tell you how grateful I am that my parents, while encouraging my poetic and intuitive sides and my ability to follow my own drum, were also very down-to-earth and unromantic when it came to my needs, my behaviour, my overall value as a person and my duty towards the rest of humanity in general and my family and friends in particular.

My younger sister has a 12-year old child who fits many of the "indigo child" descriptions. He is gifted, very sensitive, loving, intuitive - psychic in some circumstances - and has large soulful eyes. He's also a little bugger who needs discipline and frequent doses of tough love, particularly within the family. Labelling him "indigo child" and saying he has a special role over and above other humans would not be helpful to him or to his fellows. His parents and the rest of the family have chosen rather to encourage his many talents, respond to his love and intuition - but not give in to his temper tantrums and bring him up to take part in the human experience, not see himself above or outside it.

I also think this whole idea of special people appearing 25 years ago is nonsense. There has always been incredibly special and angelic people - think of Mother Theresa, Nelson Mandela, Lao Tzu, Saint Francis, Mother Julian of Norwich, Rumi and all the stories we have of the great mystics, visionaries and inspiring men and women of the past, who blessed their time in all countries. One of the key characteristics of all these people is that while they all knew they had a special mission, they always were humble about it, seeing themselves as servants of humanity, nature and spirit. They were wholly part of humanity, not apart from the common man. Read history, mystic literature and other works of the past and you will put many of these New Age beliefs in context.

Cat*

Thanks for the link, Aulruna, I had missed the earlier thread.

Fudugazi (emphasis mine) said:
His parents and the rest of the family have chosen rather to encourage his many talents, respond to his love and intuition - but not give in to his temper tantrums and bring him up to take part in the human experience, not see himself above or outside it
:thumbsup:
As someone who also grew up with a constant strong sense of being "different," this sounds pretty ideal to me. Still, it is a balance act, sometimes, to recognize one's difference and the special insights/talents/experiences/drawbacks that come with it without either putting oneself above OR below others (who by the way often turn out as being just differently different ;)).

gregory

Fudugazi said:
I've also noticed that some children who have learning difficulties, and some who are badly behaved, are called "Indigo Children" - as though that label made their learning or behavioural problems somehow better. I'm not sure it is at all helpful to them, and might end up alienating them from their fellows even more.
<snip>
My younger sister has a 12-year old child who fits many of the "indigo child" descriptions. He is gifted, very sensitive, loving, intuitive - psychic in some circumstances - and has large soulful eyes. He's also a little bugger who needs discipline and frequent doses of tough love, particularly within the family. Labelling him "indigo child" and saying he has a special role over and above other humans would not be helpful to him or to his fellows. His parents and the rest of the family have chosen rather to encourage his many talents, respond to his love and intuition - but not give in to his temper tantrums and bring him up to take part in the human experience, not see himself above or outside it.
Exactly. I read quite a few of the books about this when they first came out, and the more I read, the less I am convinced.

I know a few people who are determined their little buggers are Indigo - because that gives them an excuse not to discipline the little beasts; they mustn't be restricted or it will hamper their - I dunno, but whatever it is it certainly needs hampering. If these particular kids are that wonderful, they should have some sense of how gross their behaviour is....

I don't myself believe in the concept, even though I have been told by some who do that one daughter of mine IS Indigo - I told her this and she laughed so hard I thought she was going to be sick. :D

She certainly has all the traits she "should" have if she were. But I really think if something new and superior had evolved it would also evolve with a sense of what is decent behaviour towards those less evolved, and what isn't. If it can't even manage that - then it ain't a superior evolution, in my book.

Milfoil

I avoided commenting on this thread yesterday because my thoughts echo those that many of you have already made clear and to be honest, I don't know. I hate the idea of people being categorised esp when it elevates children above their classmates.

I'm more inclined to think that 'IF' there is something happening, these souls, though here for a purpose, still have to go through the rigours and discipline of growing up, just the same as we all have down the ages.

From my own beliefs, I think that each baby born comes with a clean slate and has to learn where their soul purpose lies. Just as Christ said in the parable of the sower (Mark 4)

Behold, the sower went out to sow. 4 And whilst he sowed, some fell by the way side, and the birds of the air came and ate it up. 5 And other some fell upon stony ground, where it had not much earth; and it shot up immediately, because it had no depth of earth. 6 And when the sun was risen, it was scorched; and because it had no root, it withered away. 7 And some fell among thorns; and the thorns grew up, and choked it, and it yielded no fruit. 8 And some fell upon good ground; and brought forth fruit that grew up, and increased and yielded, one thirty, another sixty, and another a hundred. 9 And he said: He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.

Though not a Christian myself, this passage is a perfect description (to me) of how everyone has a chance to be anything they want to be but sometimes we are born into the wrong circumstances where it is incredibly difficult for us to progress.

With 'so called' Indigo children - I still feel that even with a 'possible' greater potential, they are still products of their genetics, environment and spiritual upbringing. So using the term as an excuse to allow undiciplined behaviour is clearly going against the best interests of everyone.

To be honest, I really think its all hogwash and New Age tripe. Has any other, well respected spiritual system anywhere in the world corroborated it or even acknowledged this theory?

How many gifted children have there been in the past? Are we SO arrogant as to think that we alone can give birth to, not just one, but a generation of Messiahs?

Hmmmm.

------------

The other thing which makes me hesitant to jump on board with this 'indigo children' waggon, is that the above Bible quote was given to me recently as an example of how everyone has the potential to be anything they set their sights on but that some are at an advantage from the outset and other at a disadvantage. Then more recently I was shown the sunlight shining through a gap in the clouds and highlighting a small area of ground below as the same sort of example. Sometimes you are just born in the right place, at the right time and are naturally 'chosen' to be whatever you seem to be good at. HOWEVER. If you were not one who the sun shone on by default, you have free will and legs to run to catch the sun, anyone has the capacity to be something unique and special but for most of us it just takes more effort!

gregory

Milfoil - thank you. A lovely post, and just what I feel but said way better !

HearthCricket

I agree wholeheartedly with Milfoil and Gregory. This is exactly how I feel about the whole Indigo thing. Personally I find it is a New Age excuse to allow your parenting skills to slide and elevate your spoiled children to a special level. I have no belief in it.

Mi-Shell

Often I am asked to bring drums in institutions of learning that specialize on children with Autism and also ADD and ADHD "special needs classes.
These kids are alla challenge to work with. but the rhythmic drumming finally synchronizes their brain waves and for once they can focus - -for a short time. Then the extatic parents show up talking about their precious Indigo / Chrystal darling.....
Then they want to buy a drum from me - without knowing what to do.... Then they go and buy an expensive drum from an expensive music store.....
A few days later they phone:
The child has smashed the drum to smitherines - - or bitten the skin apart or trampled on it or.....
explains doting mom:
"....But she is an Indigo, you know.....
It is her way, to work with the drum....
Tomorrow I buy her a bigger better one...."