Is it possible to be misled by tarot cards

Mystica7

As long as you put your intuition aside and rely on the cards heavily, yes.

Michael Sternbach

In other words, we'll find the answer to tarot blunders one day, and it will be neither rational nor supernatural-is that your position ?

Yes, basically. I believe we will gain insights regarding this and many other topics only by blending intellectual and intuitive approaches, or using our two cerebral hemispheres in synch.

For illustration: There are complex things an average child would not be able to understand no matter how hard they tried, simply because their brain hasn't established the necessary neurological connections yet. Likewise, comprehension of metaphysical science requires (and at the same time encourages) the formation of new neurological pathways (on the physical level; of course there is much more to it).

But I realize that this is not for everybody; there are so many spiritual paths since different individuals have different needs. An essentially scientific approach toward spirituality is taken in the west for example by many Alchemists, Theosophists, Anthroposophists, in the east by practitioners of Raja-yoga and Jnana-yoga.

But let's not forget that such a holistic approach was also represented by the Pythagoreans and Platonists. A lot of modern esotericism draws from these sources, but falls short in their intellectual understanding.

Padma

Read through the whole thread (which took some great effort!)

Is it possible to be mislead by tarot cards? Yes, of course; we humans mislead ourselves all the time.

And really that is basically who is speaking through tarot - yourself. That part of you that is detached and observant. Your higher self.

There may be some element of divinity infused there, I cannot prove it or say for sure; but in the end, the cards consult you as much as you consult them. However you are feeling about something *will* come out in the cards. And, like as not, more often than not, the truth comes out, too.

Only humans are very short-sighted, and want everything yesterday, and so have not the patience to wait, to see how things come about. The cards predicted this yesterday, it has not yet occurred, therefore the cards are full of bull feathers.

Breathe. And don't let anything - much less chatty cardboard - control your decisions, and your life.

ETA feel obliged to report that, in typical human fashion, I too fret and wail :) even at the cards! :livelong:

ravenest

I haven't read any of the thread ... but no , it isnt.

It is possible to be mislead by a tarot reader though.

Nikita_

As long as you put your intuition aside and rely on the cards heavily, yes.

What, are you saying that the cards can fail us, but your intuition can't ever do that ?
Congratulations, you've certainly got faith in your abilities...

Nikita_

Yes, basically. I believe we will gain insights regarding this and many other topics only by blending intellectual and intuitive approaches, or using our two cerebral hemispheres in synch.

For illustration: There are complex things an average child would not be able to understand no matter how hard they tried, simply because their brain hasn't established the necessary neurological connections yet. Likewise, comprehension of metaphysical science requires (and at the same time encourages) the formation of new neurological pathways (on the physical level; of course there is much more to it).

But I realize that this is not for everybody; there are so many spiritual paths since different individuals have different needs. An essentially scientific approach toward spirituality is taken in the west for example by many Alchemists, Theosophists, Anthroposophists, in the east by practitioners of Raja-yoga and Jnana-yoga.

But let's not forget that such a holistic approach was also represented by the Pythagoreans and Platonists. A lot of modern esotericism draws from these sources, but falls short in their intellectual understanding.

Great. Any idea how many millions of years it will take ? Or at least, can you tell us in which parallel univers we shall meet to discuss it again when our brains are developed/evolved enough to be able to do that ?
No, you're probably right. Though for some reason I preferred the spiteful spirits theory somehow.

Nikita_

Hey Mickey, I've found something that I believe sums up your point extremely well. I hope you all enjoy it-it's not as philosophical as you make it sound, but it certainly conveys the idea !
Enjoy it !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aboZctrHfK8

Nikita_

I haven't read any of the thread ... but no , it isnt.

It is possible to be mislead by a tarot reader though.

well, you've posted in this thread quite a lot for someone who hasn't read it...and always to disagree with the premises...I wonder why someone would want to take part in a discussion based of erroneous foundations...it would be as if someone took part in a discussion on whether the sky is dark blue or light blue, only to keep saying that it really is red...we've got your point, ravenest...now can we get on with our delusional rambling over the blue shades of the sky ?

Pique Dame

Nikita, I've actually had an experience very similar to yours regarding the reputable professional reader. Actually, 2 readers. Both gave me very positive, happy outcomes to 2 different situations. The first one is a tarot reader and also clairaudient, clairsentient, and clairvoyant. She told me she saw me getting back together with a guy who had just broken my heart. She encouraged me to just be patient and let him sort things out and he would be back in the next 3 months or so. Well, it's been 2 1/2 years. I followed up several times, and each time she said the same thing: "the cards are showing that he'll be back. Just be patient, it's going to work out!" I'm no longer holding my breath at this point. :) She's done many other readings for me and has been right on pretty much every other time, so I'm not sure how this one particular situation could be so off.
The other reader I spoke with recently is actually internationally known. She has spirit guides and uses tarot to jump start her intuition and her connection to my energy. She also gave me a very positive, happy outcome to a situation that has only gotten worse since I spoke to her. Granted it's only been 4 months since that reading so there's still time for things to turn around, but I find it very hard to believe her predicted outcome after the way things have played out thus far. I even followed up with her and asked her why this has happened. I asked if perhaps her guides were only telling her what they thought I wanted to hear. She said, "They don't just tell what people want to hear, they tell what is!" (Apparently her partner is also a psychic medium and he claims he saw the same outcome she did, so there's 2 people giving me what very well may turn out to be false hope.) I'm inclined to be patient and see what transpires over the next few months but I'm not very optimistic. I have a feeling I'll be replying yet again with the news that her reading was wrong. You said your claimed that sometimes an evil spirit gets in there and purposely gives a false reading. I call bulls*** on that. Sounds like a cop-out to me. I know how you feel: how can these so-called benevolent guides give such inaccurate information? Was there something we were supposed to do on our end to change the outcome? Because that would've been nice to know, ya know??

Nikita_

Nikita, I've actually had an experience very similar to yours regarding the reputable professional reader. Actually, 2 readers. Both gave me very positive, happy outcomes to 2 different situations. The first one is a tarot reader and also clairaudient, clairsentient, and clairvoyant. She told me she saw me getting back together with a guy who had just broken my heart. She encouraged me to just be patient and let him sort things out and he would be back in the next 3 months or so. Well, it's been 2 1/2 years. I followed up several times, and each time she said the same thing: "the cards are showing that he'll be back. Just be patient, it's going to work out!" I'm no longer holding my breath at this point. :) She's done many other readings for me and has been right on pretty much every other time, so I'm not sure how this one particular situation could be so off.
The other reader I spoke with recently is actually internationally known. She has spirit guides and uses tarot to jump start her intuition and her connection to my energy. She also gave me a very positive, happy outcome to a situation that has only gotten worse since I spoke to her. Granted it's only been 4 months since that reading so there's still time for things to turn around, but I find it very hard to believe her predicted outcome after the way things have played out thus far. I even followed up with her and asked her why this has happened. I asked if perhaps her guides were only telling her what they thought I wanted to hear. She said, "They don't just tell what people want to hear, they tell what is!" (Apparently her partner is also a psychic medium and he claims he saw the same outcome she did, so there's 2 people giving me what very well may turn out to be false hope.) I'm inclined to be patient and see what transpires over the next few months but I'm not very optimistic. I have a feeling I'll be replying yet again with the news that her reading was wrong. You said your claimed that sometimes an evil spirit gets in there and purposely gives a false reading. I call bulls*** on that. Sounds like a cop-out to me. I know how you feel: how can these so-called benevolent guides give such inaccurate information? Was there something we were supposed to do on our end to change the outcome? Because that would've been nice to know, ya know??
The vast experience I have accumulated over the years, both as a client and as a reader, is that Tarot-and indeed, any other divination method- is very good at reading thoughts, intentions, and the subconscious, but not very good or reliable at predicting the future. To me, that simply means that maybe we should stop trying to use it as a predictive tool. Why that is, I have no idea, and it does drive me crazy to know that I'll never get to the bottom of this, but I suppose I'll just have to learn to live with it. Maybe there are simply things that the human mind was not designed to comprehend; or maybe, like Michael says, we'll get there one day...(I don't share his optimism unfortunately, but hey, does it really matter ? We won't be there to see it anyway, even if he is right.)
To me, the only thing that is clear is that tarot lives in a borderline area between science and science-fiction, between logic, reason and magic, and perhaps it is only a science that hasn't been demonstrated yet. Medicine is also not an exact science, contrary to what most of us naively believe. It is amazing how many grey areas there are, still, even in matters that doctors are now dealing with on an every day bases. Where there are 2 doctors there are 3 opinions-even more, if the doctors in question are intelligent ones. Does it mean all modern medicine is not really reliable, that it is not a science ?