Is it possible to be misled by tarot cards

mutationtarot

I've had the same thing happen to me in the past. My explanation is that tarot often reflects current energies, it doesn't mean that those energies are going to take a concrete form, if you see what I mean..

I didn't make it through the entire thread yet, but what Nikita says is pretty much how I feel. When drawing my own cards, I've experimented with my own frame of mind at the time. While I do like to focus on my "issue/question" I try very hard not to wish/hope for a certain outcome while I'm touching the cards (shuffling or drawing). If I approach it from kind of a mindful spectator type of angle, I feel I can get more accurate.

Also of note is the deck choice. I have like 50 different decks and most are just ones that I liked the look of, but there's only 2 decks that I actually use (a Morgan Greer deck that was handed down to me by my Uncle, and a Sacred Rose deck). If I use other decks that I don't really have a "connection" to, I don't get very accurate results either.

trzes

Becoming aware of what was previously subconscious is gaining extra knowledge and insights. ;)

Sure. I didn’t clam that reading tarot was pointless. By extra knowledge and insight I meant stuff that is NOT yet in our heads.

Like the creation of the Universe out of nothing, perhaps?

No, not really. The mere fact that science and common sense can’t explain everything wouldn’t make me believe in anything supernatural. Only the ability to predict things by the use of divine methods while those methods compatible with a naturalistic world view fail to predict the same things would make me believe that.

Why assume that scientific knowledge and mystical insight are mutually exclusive?

Actually I don’t think they are mutually exclusive. But as above, if I can explain my gain of insights with intuition for example then I don’t need to refer to the supernatural, although it still might exist.

What is "normal" intuition to you?

"Normal" intuition in my book is gaining insights from experience, empathy and such things that are already in my head but subconscious and otherwise hard to access, without assuming anything divine or supernatural at work though.

Why do I feel you are cutting an awful lot of corners?

Maybe that is because you don’t take into account that I answered to Nikita_, who’s experience is that she doesn’t seem to get any “extra” insights beyond what intuition and empathy can offer and keeps getting worked up about it.

trzes

I think the opposite is true. The divine makes all things more comprehensible. I think it is so called societal norms that are so much more difficult to understand. Man, so arrogant and unkind to his fellow man, over and over, repeating the same mind boggling, patterns that keep them stuck, lost, in pain , and imprisoned; that's the incomprehensible for me. I don't believe it is possible to be misled by Tarot cards, but it is clear that the cards can be misinterpreted, even by those who use them with great proficiency and skill. Tarot trips the psyche into thoughts, day dreams, and picture images, which are often misunderstood by the reader.

There are many things in the world that we can’t make sense of. Of course it makes these things feel more comprehensible if we can assign them to the divine, the work of god or other supernatural influences. This works on a personal subjective level.

My answer was to Nikita_ though, who experienced a lack of measurable predictive abilities of the “divine”, that means objective results. Two thinks could make the world more incomprehensible here. Either you observe predictive power that cannot be explained in accordance with a naturalistic worldview while still you deny the divine. Or you repeatedly fail to observe these things and stick to your belief of the divine while wondering why the divine doesn’t contribute to your knowledge. Both can cause a serious cognitive dissonance.

I don’t believe that the cards mislead us either. The most common mistake is simply to expect too much from them.

aurafields

There are many things in the world that we can’t make sense of. Of course it makes these things feel more comprehensible if we can assign them to the divine, the work of god or other supernatural influences. This works on a personal subjective level.

My answer was to Nikita_ though, who experienced a lack of measurable predictive abilities of the “divine”, that means objective results. Two thinks could make the world more incomprehensible here. Either you observe predictive power that cannot be explained in accordance with a naturalistic worldview while still you deny the divine. Or you repeatedly fail to observe these things and stick to your belief of the divine while wondering why the divine doesn’t contribute to your knowledge. Both can cause a serious cognitive dissonance.

I don’t believe that the cards mislead us either. The most common mistake is simply to expect too much from them.

I agree with your last line. I work from a strongly psychic view and did not realize how different this is from the general population of readers. I started early, so I took this for granted. I'm learning a lot in this forum about how others view their abilities and the bases of their understandings of how the cards work for them. It's been interesting and an important educational experience for me.