Is tarot for mere peons who had too much coffee?? LOL

SunChariot

Happily I've never been in a situation like that. I prefer to read for others when they are not present and then to send them the reading afterwards.

The situations looked like they were more interested in making fun of Tarot than in hearing the truth about their lives. I am very wary of that situation and would not like to read for someone who is not ready to take is seriously, although there are times when you can't know that in advance of course.

For one thing, in I think I would not leave the books out for them to look at after. If they wanted me to teach them how to read, it would be separate from the reading and not a part of the experience. And I would only teach someone who is ready to have the proper respect for Tarot, as to me it is a highly spiritual tool.

And if they someone still insisted in comparing my meaning to meanings in a book or meanings they had heard elsewhere, I would try and explain to them that meanings are not set. That the universe sends the reader the meaning in a form that will be easily discernable to him/her. The meaning they were meant to have came in a form that was understandalbe to you, but that may look like something else to someone else. That Tarot uses intuition and no book can tell you what your intuition is supposed to see or not.

And last but not least, they were treating not just Tarot but you also with very little respect at all. I would have had a serious talk with them at that time. To me, I will not be friends with someone who is laughing at me and treating me disrespectfully, that has no part in friendship.

There is no reason of course that two people doing a past/present/ future reading for the same person need to come up with the same answer. There are many many aspects to a situation. One readings may have focused more on some and the other reading more on others. It was as though they were trying to compare the two readings as some kind of scientific test. When, in reality, to me anyway, Tarot is a highly spiritual thing. And spiritual things cannot be measured scientifically.

If they cannot trust and have faith, and suspend disbelief, they will never get Tarot. It works but there is no proving it scientifically...There is also no reason for people who call you a friend should treat you like that.

I would have told them to stop, told them that I am a Tarot reader and that is who I am. If they make fun of Tarot they are making fun of me. And that if they are planning to make making fun of me part of the dynamic between us, then I am going to have to rethink their place in my life...

Bar

SunChariot

bladeraven said:
I was so afraid I would come off looking so rude and yet...unfortuantely nothing in Miss Manners on how to deal with friends who keep asking for unsolicited tarot readings all the time after being politely offer just one. Lol..thank you everyone for being Miss Manners and helping me get out of sticky situation without having to go into the witness program.

IMHO, while there was no need for rudeness, there was a need for firmness. You needed to stop and tell them that they were hurting you and they needed to know exactly how and why. And they needed to know that that kind of behaviour is not part of friendship, and that you are not their doormat.

And btw, I have rarely seen ruder behaviour than how you were treated that day.

Bar

bladeraven

Follow-Up

Sunchariot...very eloquent and wise words...thank you so much! *blush*

If they cannot trust and have faith, and suspend disbelief, they will never get Tarot. It works but there is no proving it scientifically...There is also no reason for people who call you a friend should treat you like that.

*nod*...during the reading I mention that and even the fact that Tarot isn't "time bound" but when dealing with people who are obviously thinking this is a silly game...they were deaf and blind to listen.

Well...saw Person B today for a playdate (all this was basically non-Tarot related till the fateful day) and talk about Freudian slips. She mention about Person A and first thing she said was..."Oh, Person A doesn't believe, I mean...she wasn't happy about her reading versus mine"....and commence to stammer like an idiot from there.

Person B must have seen how I gave her a quick dirty look because she changed her tune quick and talked about how Person A still went on the interview and swears she aced the interview but is "grateful for the Tarot reading so if she doesn't get the interview, at least she has some consolation now."

I just gave her another blank look and I felt bad, but Person B ended up apologizing for the whole fiasco....she went..."but well..mah reading was great and was exactly right (her finances turned for the better as I told her to expect) and you did a great job (I just kept staring her with an obviously fake smile at this point), etc etc....She finally just dropped the whole subject but had this..."Oh hell, I screwed that one up" look.

She asked if I did anymore readings and I said..."No not really, just been busy with life and the kids and not feeling well".

I talked to hubby later when he called, and told him...I have a feeling there won't be any requests for readings after this...Thank Goodness!!...I just got this vibe that Person B got chastised and that things didn't turn out for Person A like Person B was trying to pretend it was and that what was advised wasn't taken and Person A and Person B kinda found out the hard way that Tarot isn't a game to poke fun of....

Even Person B was sounding bored about "learning the Tarot" (I sent her a link to this site, doubt she subscribed but told her that if she is serious...like learning Genetics...it takes more than basics to decode DNA and she need ed to check Aecletic out because Aelectic Tarot is the University of Tarot Learning....*wink wink* Solandia...trying to stay on your good side...LOL).

Hubby thinks that they may have become spooked and this may help them lay off asking me for any more readings...he went..."Hey look at the bright side...you help convince two more people on this earth you're a weirdo!"

Gee thanks Hubby...we do have a spare couch you know...

I was a doormat...and it's a truthful look back at myself...I was too passive aggressive at really making a firm stand and naively leaving the book out wasn't smart...Lesson learned there.

Person C is respectful of what I do and I have a strong feeling she may have said a word or two to Person B.

Ironically...Person B got the Knight of Swords in a reading I did about her and it really just flew out to me as meaning someone who acts like a teenager and just does things impulsive and without much thinking and she is a very impetuous person.

What's funny is that she was bragging to everyone that she "felt she was a Queen of Swords"...and I'm thinking..."honey...that's not really a good thing".

Everyone including and most of all SunChariot...thank you so much for your support and your guidance....sigh...I still have so much to learn...

I was so wanting to share something and in the process learned something very valuable at the same time....Namely....keep regular playing cards out in the open....LOL...sorry...had to be silly in light of what really just has bugged me and really has made it awkward for the moment to face Person A.

I do feel for Person A, due to her being embarrassed and just as much being put on the spot... and I can just imagine how mortified she must feel.

To this moment, I'm amazed she didn't just peeled out of my driveway as fast as she was driving that day....Never saw a mother quickly shove a child into a minivan like she did....

Tarotphelia

So now that you've referred Person B to this site, what do you think she will make of this thread ?

Anyway, I think people will either take tarot seriously or they won't. Trying to shove them onto a different path usually won't work and you probably only end up wasting your own time explaining things to them they might not want to hear .

Maybe there's a way to spot these people right off the bat and we should figure out what it is .

bladeraven

I had thought about that..but I think from how she's been...she's not going to bother coming here, considering how she hasn't taken anything serious...and even then...well, I'm letting her be in control of the situation and it wouldn't be right for me to be scared from coming to a forum that I've been on for what? two, years now for advice and learning and just suddenly get lockjawed for nothing because, Oh!, I refer her to here.

If I did...I would have allowed her to get her way, be rude and take away something I enjoy and cherished.

Even when I've offered her other links...she's waved me off and the reality is that I think if she was really serious, I wouldn't even have had to post for help...she would have indicated so from the beginning...so I'm not really worried about that...

It's a case of...should I be paranoid that yes I did refer her here, but does that mean, now, I can't ask for advice , on a situation or any other situation that may relate to her that was pretty hurtful to me and made me feel like a show monkey...

Had that been the case...I wouldn't with the help of others ,figure out the proper way to nip this in the bud without being offensive and keep them from continuing what they are doing...

If she is going to come here and read this thread and not understand, then its a sign maybe we shouldn't be friends period, particularly if she is going to take offense at what she did and then be mad at me that I asked for the help of fellow friends and other At'ers here to find a polite way of nipping this on the bud and yet keep cordial.

If she's truly serious about learning about Tarot, she would be more open in RL and when she comes here, she would understand too how offensive it is to act like that to anyone.