Knitted Tarot Bags?

Lillith0315

I am a crazy knitter, I love to knit and I was thinking that I would love to knit a tarot bag with some really beautiful satiney ribbon yarn. Has anyone done something like this?

serenaserendipity

sounds good...

no, but it sounds really beautiful!

i wish i could have something like that... but i'm only good for knitting amorphous blobs!

serendipity

siouxj73

What a neat idea! I'm a bit of a knitter myself, but never thought of applying that skill to tarot bags! I'm off to whip out the needles!

Sheri

Hi crazy knitter! Me too! :D

I have made a couple of bags by knitting. I line the inside with silk or use them with the decks wrapped in silk. That way I can explore all the exciting new yarns. I have used a fleece "fettucine" yarn, the Lion Brand suede yarn in a brown multi color paired with a Lion Mohair that has a metallic thread through it. I have also done a royal blue soy silk bag using Southwest Trading Company's Soy Silk yarn. I have just finished a green and pink varigated bag that has a metallic thread through it. I have also been experimenting with closing cords.

I really think they are beautiful and fun to make. I gave away my sewing machine to Goodwill last year so it is really the only way I can make bags right now (I hand sew the linings together and then hand stitch the lining in the bag slightly lower than the gathering so that when the bag is closed the top edges come together without creating bulk at the top).

I will try to take some pictures tomorrow in the daylight and post them. I would love to know what people think about them. I really love the traditional bags, I just can't make them myself right now. :)

valeria :)

a_shikhs

My granny is a crazy knitter.. She can knit for hours at a stretch.. :D She's made three bags for my cards and a lovely spread cloth. I will try to attach a few pics in the evening..

catlin

Hi Lillith,
I am not a knitter myself but I recall having seen some wonderful (knitted or crocheted) tarot bags made by Lillie. Maybe you want to check them out in the advertising section or pm her?

Lillith0315

valeria said:
I have made a couple of bags by knitting. I line the inside with silk or use them with the decks wrapped in silk. That way I can explore all the exciting new yarns. I have used a fleece "fettucine" yarn, the Lion Brand suede yarn in a brown multi color paired with a Lion Mohair that has a metallic thread through it. I have also done a royal blue soy silk bag using Southwest Trading Company's Soy Silk yarn. I have just finished a green and pink varigated bag that has a metallic thread through it. I have also been experimenting with closing cords.

I really think they are beautiful and fun to make. I gave away my sewing machine to Goodwill last year so it is really the only way I can make bags right now (I hand sew the linings together and then hand stitch the lining in the bag slightly lower than the gathering so that when the bag is closed the top edges come together without creating bulk at the top).

I will try to take some pictures tomorrow in the daylight and post them. I would love to know what people think about them. I really love the traditional bags, I just can't make them myself right now. :)

valeria :)

Oh yes, yes, yes! I would love to see some pics! Now I have the urge to get the kids off to school, call in sick to work, go on a hunting expedition for lots of great yarn, then play with my needles all day :)

Lillith0315

catlin said:
Hi Lillith,
I am not a knitter myself but I recall having seen some wonderful (knitted or crocheted) tarot bags made by Lillie. Maybe you want to check them out in the advertising section or pm her?

I will, thank you :)

Lillith0315

a_shikhs said:
My granny is a crazy knitter.. She can knit for hours at a stretch.. :D She's made three bags for my cards and a lovely spread cloth. I will try to attach a few pics in the evening..

I would love to see them. A spread cloth too? Add that to my list as well. I love crazy knitter grannies :)

Lillith0315

siouxj73 said:
What a neat idea! I'm a bit of a knitter myself, but never thought of applying that skill to tarot bags! I'm off to whip out the needles!

Hey! No fair starting before me, it was my idea! :)

Let me know what you come up with.