LEAST favorite oracles?

emmsma

I tried for so long to get the Russian Gypsy cards, and though I can't say I don't like them, well I have never bothered to look at them in the ?6 months since they've been in my home.

It might be time to find them a new home.

I love the imagery on the Anubis Oracle that I have. What I don't like is feeling the need to read the several pages in the book to "get" what they are trying to tell me.

I couldn't work with the Celtic Tree Oracle for the same reason. Ditto once again for Feathered Omens.

Oracles that require alot of background knowledge to understand. thats what I've discovered don't work for me.

Le Fanu

Anything by Doreen Virtue. I just think her stuff is so silly. Just head-in-the-sand stuff. I mean, really...

In fact, anything with Angels &/or Dolphins in the title. I can't stand Oracles which come with the promise of somehow dealing with your life, when they are actually encouraging anything but.

irisa

Le Fanu :D
I do agree with you about the Virtue cards they just aren't my cup of tea all too cliche and I find them almost flippant.

But the award for my most awful deck goes too...... <holds breath> THE Oracle of the Grail Code just can't get on with it at all, the art style is very much a style I love.. the Victorian romantics.. but the cards are just blah.... to me so much so I really dislike like the use of such great art for such a load of twaddle.

irisa :)

greatdane

Thank you, Myrr, Emms, Le Fanu and Irisa

I'm with you who are NOT big Doreen Virtue fans. When it comes to oracles, I am looking for more of a simple, less is more, MY feeling with the cards and going deeper into self through the images....period. Ordered psycards and will get Dreaming in Color because they seem more, well, basic to me. If I have to read and study alot about an oracle, it defeats it's purpose for me. I have to pretty much instantly click with images and feel I can almost instantly get it. Too much going on, I'm not there.... While I feel I need to connect with a tarot deck pretty quickly, even more true for me with an oracle.

THANK YOU ALL for posting your thoughts! It helps as I am not going to get a lot of oracle (or tarot) decks to start. Trying to begin with a few that just "speak" to me re reading and that isn't, ironically, always the decks I may be attracted to at first.

GD

Shannon Rae

Le Fanu said:
Anything by Doreen Virtue. I just think her stuff is so silly. Just head-in-the-sand stuff. I mean, really...

In fact, anything with Angels &/or Dolphins in the title. I can't stand Oracles which come with the promise of somehow dealing with your life, when they are actually encouraging anything but.

hahahahahahahaha! Me too! I'm just not an angel reader, or dolphin? wtf? Dolphins, really?

greatdane

Well, I guess many not into

angels or dolphin oracles either. Hey and I LOVE dolphins, but more in the flesh, so to speak, think they're majestic creatures. I'm sure many oracle readers are into angels and dolphins and fairy decks, for those people, hey, whatever works for you is what's right for you. Whatever connects with someone is what they should use. I have great respect for personal choices and preferences. For me, however, simplicity is the key particularly when it comes to oracles, so teddy bear oracles....not so much.

GD

greatdane

Emms...I say if you don't connect...

pretty quickly, chances are may not be the deck for you, although tastes change and sometimes a deck that isn't right for someone now, may be a year from now. I know my tastes will probably change the more I read and I may want more something different later on.

It's just hard because while I'm not really interested in collecting to collect, I think many of us search for that one or three or ten decks we feel really comfortable with or at least ones that don't feel, well, wrong to us and difficult to read from.

GD

.traveller.

The Eros Oracle... though they make rather lovely bookmarks.

The Celtic Tree Oracle... they make me work too hard when I could get the same, if not more, information from a set of runes.

MareSaturni

irisa said:
But the award for my most awful deck goes too...... <holds breath> THE Oracle of the Grail Code just can't get on with it at all, the art style is very much a style I love.. the Victorian romantics.. but the cards are just blah.... to me so much so I really dislike like the use of such great art for such a load of twaddle.

Oh dear, this is one of my favorite oracles! I don't use the book, i usually find that the cards speak by themselves.

One man's trash is another man's treasure, as they say... :D

I also have no problems with angels, but i prefer a more judeo-christian/gnostic approach... not just "they are beautiful being of light and yadda yadda".

I must say i was sorta disappointed at the "Dreaming in Color: Luman" by Mindy Sommers, because the colors of the edition I received weren't at all like the colors of the deck the author showed in her website. I found that many cards simply didn't not spoke to me emotionally... i mean, i could read the word "Hate" in the card, but i could not see or feel the emotion "hate" in the image.

Another deck i did not like was the "Phoenix Cards" by Susan Sheppard. I mean, it seems the deck is only meant to be used once. What the point? You go, do the past-life reading she teaches you and then what? I found it kinda shallow... it could be so much more!

I don't say i "hate" any deck, because we never know. A deck we hate today may become a good companion one day. We must let things challenge our prejudices, or else we become intolerant, believing that everything that comes from the source of the thing we dislike is worthless.

zan_chan

For me I think its Lenormands. Any variety really. Something about them just doesn't click for me. I have a few of them now (including the incredibly beautiful, must-have-no-matter-how-not-into-Lenormand-you-might-be Melissa's Lenormand) and, while some are nice to look at (Melissa's, Mystical) they just don't seem to say anything to me. All I can see is Whip-Woman-Coffin and (my standard Lenormand joke) I feel like I'm watching a German S/M video.

What's then especially odd is that I recently got my first Sibilla and absolutely love it. Full of life and mystery and meaning.

Really don't know what it is about Lenormand. Maybe someday....