LEAST favorite oracles?

Enchanted Luna

I guess my Doreen Virtue decks...

I don't have that many oracle decks (working on changing that haha!) but I have a few. I used to like the Doreen Virtue decks (please don't throw the tomatoes yet lol!) And I purchased the Healing with the Angels, and the Saints and Angels one. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed them in the beginning, as they are very gentle, soothing cards. But then....I guess DV overload? Too much sweetness? Too many decks at the shop - I mean it seemed like there was a new deck each week! I love fairies, angels and that sort of thing. But there is a limit. And to be honest, I really started to feel like the artwork was getting sketchy in some of the decks. Like some cards really stood out as well done, and other cards looked juvenile or hastily done/chosen. I wish I could remember which DV deck specifically I was looking at that really made me go blech! It really gave the impression of too many artists in one deck? The cards just didn't flow and it was all over the map.

And don't get me wrong, I'm really happy that there is a market for these decks and that people love them and feel good about using them. Personally, I haven't pulled either of these decks out in ages. In fact, I moved not that long ago, and I know they're still at my parent's place with other unnecessary storage-y type stuff lol, whereas all my other decks were the first things I packed lol. Will I pull these decks out again? Probably, when I'm feeling really down and need a soothing hug type of "reading" but they just don't have that much substance for me. I think these decks are great to lend a friend who is going through a tough time, or for yourself for that matter, as gentle, loving support. But that's about it. Will I keep my two DV decks that I have? Yes, I think so, because they have a place, and I personally feel they're two of the best DV decks that are available, but I don't see myself pulling them out all that often.

Good thread! I like to read what people like and don't like too :)

Onyx

Okay I know ya'll are all talking about card oracles but when I first read the thread title all I could think of was that movie, who knows which one, but the old crone cuts open an animal and reads the entrails. Yuck!

Card oracle though my most wasted money went to the Masters of Magic. I got it from a historical, structure point of view. Didn't get how it was suppose to work in readings and practical use.

Onyx.

Enchanted Luna

Onyx said:
Okay I know ya'll are all talking about card oracles but when I first read the thread title all I could think of was that movie, who knows which one, but the old crone cuts open an animal and reads the entrails. Yuck!

Card oracle though my most wasted money went to the Masters of Magic. I got it from a historical, structure point of view. Didn't get how it was suppose to work in readings and practical use.

Onyx.

LOL yuck indeed! I'm not sure which movie that is, but I remember in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves the crone doing her thing with the blood and runes, and she spit in it too and seemed to get a pretty clear picture!

Manda

My least favorite oracle that I have owned is the Secret Dakini Oracle. The images repel me and I do not like them at all. I keep trying to get rid of it, though, and it keeps coming back to me. I have to figure out why. :p

greatdane

Yikes, Manda!

Like dating someone once, not liking them and they keep returning. You gotta find that deck a new friend it can play well with.

GD

morticia monroe

Ancient Egyptian Oracle-Cards of Ra Maat.

If only I had all the money that I've spent in my life because I saw something that I KNEW just wasn't for me but I bought it anyway because it was on clearance.
First of all, one has only to read the name to know it's Egyptian. I am not into Egypt, it's culture, it's gods and goddesses or it's secrets. Yes, it's a beautiful and amazing place, but it doesn't draw me in, and never did. The artwork is flat and cold, and it felt dead. The deck is a mummy. I am Morticia. We clashed.

queenxofxwands

Shannon Rae said:
hahahahahahahaha! Me too! I'm just not an angel reader, or dolphin? wtf? Dolphins, really?
Awww come on!its all there in the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy series!!
But seriously,i have 3 of her oracles, and ummm, they all say the same thing, every deck, just the delivery style changes, whether its fairies, angels, dolphins , fire ants or soldier bees. I dont use them anymore, but my kids love them :) I think what i really dont like about oracles i have is, they are really a book of someone elses opinions, in card form, theres no room to move with them, no depth, it just ends up being repetitive and gives you no room for growth, although if you are looking to numb the brain, they're perfect.oh, and the artwork is nice :)

greatdane

lol Morticia and Queens!

Mummy, Morticia, yeah, don't see a long term relationship there. Queen, I see how kids could really get into them and for those dear AT members who love them, God bless, just not what I was looking for. Morticia, I felt the same re the Egyptian decks and I really enjoy learning about Egypt, just not as a deck. Psycards is really what I was looking for and I'm sure may find some others later on, but I'm really happy with this one oracle deck for now (is that sacrilege to say in a forum where many people have more decks than, well, anything else?). I just wanted something I could connect with easily, that wasn't too distracting, froufrouy (is that a word?), really theme oriented (lions and tigers and bears, oh my!) or had characters out of anything Disney. But for those of you who can read and connect with any and all of the above, ENJOY ENJOY ENJOY!

GD

Glass Owl

I would have to say that my biggest oracle deck dud was the Gypsy Witch. I found the card's narrow meanings (which were largely negative) a real turn off and I traded the deck straight away.

Juliana

I've found that with oracles (unlike with tarot), I have a lot of decks whose artwork I love, but that I just can't imagine using. I must be particularly picky with oracles. I seem to need darker oracles. I can't take the optimistic, cheery decks seriously. And as much as I love ancient pantheons, I just can't see myself reading with decks that draw upon gods I don't actually believe in. So I have a lot of decks that I love and keep for their artwork, but know I will never use. I have dozens of tarot decks that I love and use. But somehow it just isn't that way with oracles. I dare say that the Froud decks are the only ones I feel a deep connection to.