Lost and the Tarot

Skydancer

Hi again!
Yes, I remember that strange sound and the woman saying she could almost place it. Being Manhattan, and not knowing much about NY etc, I was thinking a subway train. But, so far nothing else fits with that.

Ahhh the polar bear! Several references to him!! And one of the guys on the show, can't recall who, said that he had done this and that "and killed a polar bear." It seems to me that the polar bear (white bear) shows up in a couple of different guises. No?

Yes, I think the island itself is an entity, so why not be the World? In its parts and entirety?

Maybe Jake and Katie are the Lovers? Maybe not ~

Locke as the Hieophant - or Learned One. Yes, I like that too. So then, who would be the Priestess? Maybe the black woman who helps Charlie pray after ... ohh that would be a spoiler now, wouldn't it!!

I love daydreaming about that island and its mysteries. Who would you most want as a companion if YOU were marooned there? And, if s/he fits a tarot card, why does that card appeal to you? Why do you want or need that tarot card's representation?

Should I start a new thread?!

Oh - and the tower AS the tower! Good idea! Especially since it's so important, at least as a plot mover, and it DOES come crashing down, so to speak. (No, not a spoiler here!!) Their intentions crash.

I like their choice as to their recreational game. I'm thinking there's going to be more to that later. Just a hunch. Can a game have a card? After all, the game does have a wand, a cup, pentacles or markers, don't know about a sword. OR how about the game Locke and Walt keep playing? It has a cup and markers too. AND Locke owes a lot of money/pentacles to Walt!! The swords could be all those knives Locke has. Maybe I'm stretching - but it puts Locke in as Magician then I guess. Man, talk about a jack of all trades ~

Okay I'm done now. Whew ~

One last thing - ! - I have the book Solitaire now, which is about cards coming to life on an island (I gather). So, after I get into that book we can start a new thread for sure!!

S:OS

cSpaceDiva

Part I

I hadn’t seen this thread before, but I have been kicking around some Lost/Tarot associations in my head for a while. I’ve been rethinking it with the new characters introduced in season 2, and since we won’t be seeing any new episodes for while, it seemed like the appropriate time to lay it out. I have it limited to the majors.

[size=+1]***Warning to those not in the US: May Contain SPOILERS!!!***[/size]

0 The Fool - Walt and his canine companion Vincent

Being a child, Walt has the innocence of the Fool, but he also has certain abilities, he is “Special”. When Vincent ran into the water after the raft at the end of season 1, was he trying go along with his owner, or was he warning him of the dangers ahead? It appears Walt has now gone over into the abyss...

I The Magician - Sawyer

He is a trickster, a con-man. He also has what I refer to as his bag o’ tricks from his scavenging. When another castaway needs something out of the ordinary, they go to Sawyer for it: inhaler, bottles of liquor, etc. These things to me are the items on the Magician’s table.

II The High Priestess - Sun

Even though she understands English, she keeps this fact hidden and does not speak it. Later in season 1, after she has revealed that she does speak English, she gives Jin a list of words in Korean and how they sound in English--Is this the HP’s book/scroll? Sun also has a knowledge of herbal remedies (toothpaste, eucalyptus for Shannon’s asthma) and acts as a healer (to Shannon, Boone, and in the latest episode, Sawyer).

III The Empress - Claire

I really have no reason for placing her here other than her pregnancy. Reading the eulogies at the memorial when they burned the fuselage also seemed like an Empress thing to do.

IV The Emperor - Jack

He is clearly the leader of the group and he represents rational thinking--he is the man of science. Plus, his last name is Shepard, which corresponds to the ram’s heads on the Emperor card.

V The Hierophant - Locke

In contrast to Jack, Locke is the man of faith. When he wanted Boone (his acolyte) to be more independent of Shannon, he anointed his head wound with something he mixed up that caused Boone to hallucinate. This is a stretch, but there are keys on the Hierophant card and his name is Locke.

VI The Lovers - Boone and Shannon

I assigned these two to this card before the episode that revealed they actually were lovers. I honestly felt neither character was strong enough to represent their own card. Since they’re both gone now, I guess the writer’s felt the same way. Coincidentally (?), Boone is in the wedding business. In season 2, we see a representation of a Marseilles style Lovers where Boone is forced to choose between Shannon and his mom.

More to come...

HudsonGray

With the new people added in, from the tail section of the plane, that brings up some new cards.

That big silent guy, Strength? Considering what he went through emotionally on the beach and afterwards, he seems to have a grip on that card better than the others.

The black lady and her husband, the 2 of Cups? Always bonded, even when they considered each other dead in the crash.

And Anna Marie--2 of Swords? 10 of Swords? 9 of Swords since she's still 'dead' from the past?

Poor Shannon.

And we still don't know what the monster is or who the Others are completely, in spite of the two bits of film found.

They've pulled back on Locke's character now, as High Priestess he seems too unsure of things again to fit into that card. Blind trust doesn't allow for adaptability and the High Priestess has to really KNOW things, not blindly trust them as he's been doing. Wouldn't that make him more of the Hierophant then?