Obsessed with Keeping Decks Pristine

claire1805

This has been another on-going 'problem' of mind relating to the Tarot for a long time. I am simply obsessed with keeping my decks as pristine as possible, in the condition it first arrived on my doorstep. I will go crazy if I even manage to spot a SINGLE dent, scratch, mark on the surface of the cards... And today, out of nowhere, I spotted two deep DENTS on the front of a card, the 'Six of Pentacles' and I nearly burst a vein right there and then...

I would like to know if the condition of a deck matters alot to you, like it is for me, and if you are bothered by the damages (markings, scratches, dents) dealt to your cards by accidents or just purely by everyday handling. I always feel the need to handle my deck in such a fragile way because I am OCD about their maintenance. How do I get over it? :) I seem to have many questions lately, hope you don't mind at all!

Alta

I certainly do not like my cards to get damaged, and I am reasonably careful. But you have to accept that they are a relatively vulnerable medium, being coated cardstock. I certainly get that you are unhappy about dents in your card, I wouldn't exactly be pleased about that either. I guess I probably have a little more of a 'whatever' attitude to these things but I am not sure if it is even possible to change ones personal reactions though.

ana luisa

Decks are tools made to read and tell stories. They're not an ornament. Which of these shoes would you like to hear stories from ?
https://www.google.com.br/search?q=...zeus.best.vwh.net%2Ftrips%2F200408%2F;800;565

Of course it's wonderful that you take good care of your cards but remember they're there to be used and well-loved ;) and even with the best of intentions, TIME will invariably take their luster away, bring mould stains and dry out the borders...

Pixna

I'm super-careful with my cards as well. A dent would certainly do me in too! That's why my OCD is buying several of my favorite decks du jour to ensure I always have spares. :) I keep my decks either in their original boxes or in custom boxes or padded bags. I don't let any querents touch my decks, and I always make sure my hands are clean when I do readings. I shuffle overhand to minimize any damage.

While I've gained somewhat of a "whatever" attitude toward most of my material things (everything gets damaged or destroyed eventually), my cards are the one thing I'm extremely particular about. If my favorite deck had scratched or bent cards, I'd have to break open or buy a new deck. I don't think there's any "curing" me, and I'm not sure I want to get over it. I feel that my cards are quite special and part of my spiritual practice, and I don't mind being a little OCD with them (as long as it doesn't spread to other areas of my life).

Annabelle

I have over 700 decks, and my collection continues to grow.

With a few exceptions (decks that are rare or fragile or hand-produced), I have no qualms about using them.

For me, there's no point in having them if I'm afraid to handle them and enjoy them.

AJ

I love used decks and always start here or ebay when I'm shopping
Every single deck I have, if you look across the surface, has fingernail decks from being shuffled. With smallish hands, it happens. I don't look across the surface.

I do understand obsessive behavior though, and wish you well.
You'd probably be better served collecting something glass or stone though.

Zephyros

meh, I'm reasonably careful, but there is a limit to how much. It is paper, after all, and even if I am super careful time will do its thing. Part of Tarot is, for me, accepting that while there is much in my power to control, most isn't and that includes wear and tear. Still, I'm pretty good, here is a picture of my daily-used, ten year old Thoth. Sure it has scuffs but not too bad, especially as it is the only deck I use with any regularity

ETA: mistakenly uploaded the same picture twice.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1394395787986.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1394395787986.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 296

Sulis

I like my cards to look used and well loved.. I really don't like the feel of brand new decks but I tend to be like that with shoes and trainers too.
I love it when the cardstock gets to that soft, buttery stage and I think scratches and dents on the cards just give them more character.. I don't like it if one card is peeling or obviously bent so that it stands out from the rest though because I think that takes away the randomness of shuffling and drawing cards.

As ana luisa has said though, they're tools, they're meant to be used and handled and because of that they get worn. I don't think there's a way to keep decks that you use looking as they did when they were new and I wouldn't want mine that way.. Maybe you need to get yourself a lovely, old, worn in deck and that may help you to love the pre-loved look and feel.

Zephyros

I doubt even the new, heavily laminated decks could stay new forever. They might even age worse, since plastic yellows with time. Since I bought my beloved Thoth I myself have accumulated scratches and scuffs and dents, makes sense that my decks wouldn't be pristine.

This discussion reminds of of the Velveteen Rabbit, my favorite childhood book.

Pixna

I kind of figured I'd be in the minority on this. I was the same way with my beloved stuffed toys and books when I was a kid -- loved them but treated them with extra care (and kept them clean). I guess I'm one of the odd ones who likes my decks to feel "fresh" and new, even when they're used well and often. *shrug*