Obsessed with Keeping Decks Pristine

PAMUYA

A mint-condition deck always seems like a sad deck, to me. Unloved, unused, kept away from the light of day.

There are whole threads on how to age decks so they look as if they've been used for years within a few hours. :)

A deck that is a bit battered, a bit worn a bit faded and a bit stained is a warm, loved, working-deck. I only object when they are actually *sticky*, ie, no honey-stains on MY decks! Unsweetened coffee, though, is perfectly fine. :)

Love this answer. :heart: I only have a handful of decks, they are all worn. I have only one clean deck, it was my grandmothers from the 1920's (she read from playing cards). For me a good used deck is one that looks used. I would perfer to go to a reader who's deck looked worn and used, I would trust him.

I do understand keeping things the same, but change is a part of life, things change, get worn and old. Sounds like me ;)

Calcifer

I seem to have both types of compulsions here: I have two each of my 4 "working decks". One of them is for public and/or general usage, and I have no problem with them getting mileage on them (and the obvious signs of such), the other is "for my eyes only" and I'm as manic about their pristine condition as the worst of any of us here. While I might take either kind camping (for instance), the reserved decks will never leave the tent - the working decks will get as close to the fire or the stream as I see fit at the time.

My first, and now long lost RWS was used daily for Years, in bars, on the beach, wherever. It looked ancient and felt fragile - but it was soooo loved.

Michael

Lilianne

It's my intention to buy a duplicate deck if I happen to like the art/imagery of a deck. As I've hitherto mainly used cards in spiritual development they aren't subject to much handling but now learning to read spreads, the surfaces are going to get worn etc, so...duplicate packs.

SunChariot

This has been another on-going 'problem' of mind relating to the Tarot for a long time. I am simply obsessed with keeping my decks as pristine as possible, in the condition it first arrived on my doorstep. I will go crazy if I even manage to spot a SINGLE dent, scratch, mark on the surface of the cards... And today, out of nowhere, I spotted two deep DENTS on the front of a card, the 'Six of Pentacles' and I nearly burst a vein right there and then...

I would like to know if the condition of a deck matters alot to you, like it is for me, and if you are bothered by the damages (markings, scratches, dents) dealt to your cards by accidents or just purely by everyday handling. I always feel the need to handle my deck in such a fragile way because I am OCD about their maintenance. How do I get over it? :) I seem to have many questions lately, hope you don't mind at all!

I prefer my decks to be pristine, but I wouldn't say it drives me crazy to see a dent or a mark. But it does make me sad. it feels like a loss. The deck is now not as beautiful to me as it once was.

It doesn't stress me, but it saddens me.

But yes, I would say it's important to me too.

Although... I am noticing lately that some of my oldest decks have a nicer FEEL to them. They feel nicer and softer. And I do know that is due to wear.

Babs

Grizabella

My decks are my tools. Like any kind of tools, they get used and show it. I take good care of them but I don't get precious about them because that would cause me needless stress and my life has enough true stress in it to make me avoid creating needless stress about my cards/tools and keeping them pristine.

emmsma

I guess I am of two minds about this. I use and shuffle - riffle shuffle - all my decks. I can't quite feel a deck is properly mixed to read with if I can't riffle.

And I do carry them with me. There is always a deck or two in my bag, and there they can get banged about, though they are never without a bag, for some protection.

But I won't put lotion on my hands if I intend to read, and a deck is never on the same table with food or drink.

And I would never put a bottle of water or anything that could spill into my purse with my decks. No makeup or lotion. No pens or sharp objects into the same section as the decks.

So, am I rough or overcautious? I can't tell. :)

3ill.yazi

I've stopped riffling, because I've ripped too many cards.

nisaba

Oh my, Nisaba, coffee-stains are desirable for you?
Do you have links to the thread(s) mentioned?

No. I don't collect links in their thousands. Do a forum search on "aging decks" and "umbraeing decks" - you'll pull up quite a few.

One thing I don't get though - how to like a deliberately aged deck (brrrr), it's so dishonest.

Just suppose you've read primarily with the same deck for thirty years. Now the cards are so thin and worn that you can't even shuffle them - they flop like a deck of tissues in your hands. You might buy a new copy of the same deck - but can't bear the newness of it.

I don't see it as any more dishonest than trying to preserve a used deck from any signs of use.

Grizabella

Good observation, nisaba. I hadn't thought of it like that but you made a good point there.

I think it's a matter of one's reason why they'd want to age a deck. Or why they'd want to use a deck while making it appear as if they hadn't.

But falsely aging a new deck just because one has had to retire an old worn-out one would be just as dishonest, don't you think? Why not just display the old, worn-out deck in some way while using the brand spanking new deck? The decks would speak for themselves that way. I think that's probably what I'd do if I ever wore one out to that extent.

Remember those old Rolodex files in pre-computer days? One of those could work well no matter which side of the fence a person happened to stand. It would keep a deck pristine or display a worn out deck, whichever one chose.

Richard

I like to keep my things nice, if possible, even tarot decks. I don't like stains because they are unnecessary and distracting, and creases and tears can compromise the randomization of shuffling and cutting, besides being unsightly. Normal wear that is not due to carelessness or accident is no problem..