Obsessed with Keeping Decks Pristine

lalalibra

Hi Claire,

I too understand the impulse to keep decks in nice condition, and I still make an effort to do so by being as reasonably careful as I can when handling my decks (overhand shuffling, appropriate storage, etc).

I used to care about this a lot when I first got into buying decks. If I noticed a scratch/dent on a card, it would be really difficult not to notice it every time I picked up the deck after that initial discovery. But what happened eventually is that I'd start to notice it less and less. With use, the eyes begin to focus less on the cosmetic damage (which is usually very slight anyway) and more on the actual deck itself -- the images, their energy -- which is the real purpose of the deck. Deep down, what I really wanted out my decks was more than just to *have* them but to really *use* them.

So my reactions toward this did change over time. They switched from being upset to disliking it, and from slowly accepting it to not minding it much at all anymore. In fact, now I actually really like it! So if I could go from being OCD about it to actually liking the way a used deck looks and feels, then I think there's definitely hope. After all, you're posting about this because you don't want to experience so much stress over handling your decks; you'd rather have them bring you toward states of liberation and ease.

I don't mean to imply that since I don't mind used decks that I've started to purposefully be rough with them since 'it doesn't matter anymore.' The way I handle them hasn't changed much at all; I'm still careful with them as it's always been my nature to be careful toward the things I own. But I will say that once a deck is more used, I don't feel that dire need to keep it 'pristine' anymore since it simply isn't pristine anymore to begin with. I end up feeling more comfortable with handling them. I just figured that whatever condition results from my best effort should be good enough, and I can't keep a deck looking mint if I use it freely.

What really shifted my attitude was that I finally "broke in" one of my decks. It has that 'butteriness' that others describe, and the ink on the edges has chipped a lot. In fact, it's actually gotten *better* because the warp in it has gone away over time with use (it used to be warped where two edges diagonally opposite from one another 'curled' upward significantly so the cards weren't flat anymore, and it used to drive me nuts). I don't enjoy any kind of severe damage of course (also because it can take away from the randomness when fanning the cards), but the wear & tear that results from regular use really does give the deck more character. And by character, I mean that it's a deck that I love so much that I use it a lot. It means that it's a deck that's always been there for me, and that I've been through so much with... and it shows. And it's more than just the appearance; a deck like that really does feel different, both physically and energetically. It feels better, honestly.

My advice would be to start by having back-ups of the decks that you favor and use the most... But really use the first copy that you have -- carefully, of course, but freely. And if it gets wear & tear from regular use, then just let it be. Even if it bothers you to see it start to happen, ride the wave of those feelings, and comfort yourself with the knowledge that this deck that's getting a bit worn is for real use and you have a pristine back-up lurking not too far off in the corner anyway. Maybe once that first deck gets used more and more, you'll come to find a similar feeling of comfort and ease in handling it, and it will carry such greater sentimental value that you might even prefer it to the unused back-up copy waiting for you indefinitely.

Briar Rose

Some decks I do like pristine, but some decks I do like old and worn.

Marie-Bernard

I try not to bend the cards too much when I shuffle and I clear them off the table when I'm going to eat. I don't worry about them beyond that because I feel strongly that some material things should have a certain lifetime (and hopefully my decks will be shorter than mine :))

I have several handkerchiefs I got from my great grandmother that I use to wrap some of my decks; the one's she loved are very pale from washing, a couple even have holes and tears. The pristine ones don't mean nearly as much to me because they clearly didn't mean as much to her.

KristinCali

I have the same exact feelings as you! I love mine pristine too, which unfortunately impedes my enjoyment of using the cards since I'm constantly worrying about "hurting" them. Doesn't help that I'm fond of OOP decks, those ones reeeeally stress me out. But I still do use them all and so far I've managed to keep them in great condition.

RunningWild

I've never really given too much thought to keeping a deck 'pristine'. I want my decks to look worn, used, and loved. I don't want to buy them in that condition though. I want to do that work myself. I could see keeping the deck in good condition if you think you might resell it at some point. Mine are going to be given to a friend or buried with me when I pass on so I'm less worried about that.

nisaba

This has been another on-going 'problem' of mind relating to the Tarot for a long time. I am simply obsessed with keeping my decks as pristine as possible, in the condition it first arrived on my doorstep. I will go crazy if I even manage to spot a SINGLE dent, scratch, mark on the surface of the cards... And today, out of nowhere, I spotted two deep DENTS on the front of a card, the 'Six of Pentacles' and I nearly burst a vein right there and then...

I would like to know if the condition of a deck matters alot to you, like it is for me, and if you are bothered by the damages (markings, scratches, dents) dealt to your cards by accidents or just purely by everyday handling. I always feel the need to handle my deck in such a fragile way because I am OCD about their maintenance. How do I get over it? :) I seem to have many questions lately, hope you don't mind at all!

A mint-condition deck always seems like a sad deck, to me. Unloved, unused, kept away from the light of day.

There are whole threads on how to age decks so they look as if they've been used for years within a few hours. :)

A deck that is a bit battered, a bit worn a bit faded and a bit stained is a warm, loved, working-deck. I only object when they are actually *sticky*, ie, no honey-stains on MY decks! Unsweetened coffee, though, is perfectly fine. :)

Gulliver

Oh my, Nisaba, coffee-stains are desirable for you?
Do you have links to the thread(s) mentioned?

I've the same thoughts/feelings re keeping decks pristine like Rylla. But the more I try to keep the decks pristine the more I make mistakes. Do you know that? And so...I try to not thinking about.
But I, too, know the feeling of well loved decks and it is magical, especially when I like the previous owner a lot. But decks without coffee-stains would be fine. :D

One thing I don't get though - how to like a deliberately aged deck (brrrr), it's so dishonest.

dancing_moon

I treat my decks approximately the same way I treat my books - neatly, but with no extremes. And if/when accidents do happen, it's upsetting, but not too much. Like lalalibra said, you get used to the look of it and don't pay that much attention anymore.

I'd like my decks to age slowly and wear neatly over time. In fact, a well-used, well-loved deck even shuffles in a different way - comfortably, as if it had acquired the shape of my hands. It's a very special feeling, and for me, it's much more important than the crisp, cold smoothness of a new deck.

I like the advice about buying a well-worn deck, to get the feel of it. I can remember one very well-buttered deck I once had. It was a deck of playing cards, though, and obviously very much used. The color it had was almost brown, and it felt like well-oiled parchment. I remember I didn't have any problems with that. :D

SpiritFly

I'm extremely weird about keeping my cards as clean and new as possible.
I always carry my cards with me and I had them in my bag and something in my bag leaked all over everything and my cards were soaked, I felt like murdering someone.
Luckily they dried fine and don't look damaged or feel damaged and now they are going to stay in the house.

Cards that look like they've just been used for a long time are gorgeous though, although it depends on the deck as some look rubbish when they age due to the type of material they are made of.

Rhinemaiden

My suggestion.... buy dupes of the decks you cherish the most. That's what I did... knowing I have pristine dupes stashed away has allowed me to enjoy decks on a daily basis that might otherwise be kept in the vault. To be specific: Alchemical 3rd edition, Victorian Romantic and Bohemian Gothic.