Obsessed with Keeping Decks Pristine

daphne

Yes, absolutely, as pristine as possible! And I manage to do it, it doesnt seem a difficult task, just normal. I would not say it`s an obsession, clean hands, clean surroundings, sturdy carry-on boxes if taken around, clean preservation, gentle shuffling, sitters allowed only to cut the deck but not other handling.

All my decks are in like new condition, except the ones I bought second hand, with already some usage marks. But event those are in excellent shape.

I would not buy a really battered deck, would piss me off seeing it every time... so neglected and abused. I used only one deck for 10 years and it has very few usage signs, so I know it is possible to keep it almost pristine. The really bad condition some decks end up in, is due to rough careless usage. I treat them with respect, as precious little work of art. And art cannot end filthy. Anyway, I cannot stand dirty decks, sticky or smelly or filthy, I would not use one of those. I would not even touch one, must it be the most precious deck on earth.

nisaba

Good observation, nisaba. I hadn't thought of it like that but you made a good point there.

I think it's a matter of one's reason why they'd want to age a deck. Or why they'd want to use a deck while making it appear as if they hadn't.

But falsely aging a new deck just because one has had to retire an old worn-out one would be just as dishonest, don't you think? Why not just display the old, worn-out deck in some way while using the brand spanking new deck?

er ... Because if you're used to a really well-worn softened deck, a crisp one might feel dreadfully stiff in your hands?

Laura Borealis

I don't understand why aging a deck is dishonest. Surely it is only dishonest if it's done with intent to deceive- if someone is trying to pass off a new deck as an old one.

I did it for purely aesthetic reasons. It's no different from aging paper for a craft project, or putting an aged finish on a piece of painted furniture. People do it because they like the look. As long as they're not trying to sell an IKEA bookshelf as a genuine antique, where is the dishonesty?

(Unfortunately the deck I aged turned out more like a cheap pair of acid-washed jeans and less like something well-worn and loved, but that's because I did a crap job, and also because of the stupid lamination :laugh: )

Ryver

I got over my fears of deck-damage by keeping a second copy of the deck I was using still wrapped and safe. So I felt free to enjoy my deck knowing that if it became too beaten or if a card got damaged I already had a crisp new one waiting. Eventually I realized I preferred my old deck, like a properly broken in shoe that fit every curve of my feet just right. I still have an unopened copy of one of my decks from over 10 years ago because I don't want to part with the ragged deck I've been using.

Aura Wolf

I would like to know if the condition of a deck matters alot to you, like it is for me, and if you are bothered by the damages (markings, scratches, dents) dealt to your cards by accidents or just purely by everyday handling. I always feel the need to handle my deck in such a fragile way because I am OCD about their maintenance. How do I get over it? :)

The condition of my decks doesn't matter much to me. I do sometimes get mildly upset if I get a dent or scratch on a deck (especially a new one), or if a corner gets slightly bent or frayed during shuffling or between uses. I often leave my decks sitting on top of their bags (not in them), to encourage me to use them more frequently, and sometimes they sit on the spare bed where I've been sprawled out doing a ritual or short readings/draws get left lying about the house in various places while I'm still meditating on them :D Accidents happen, so I have to be somewhat careful (but if I were too careful, I wouldn't have fun!). Sometimes cards will fall on the floor and get scratches or dents, and I've had a couple decks get water damaged (one in my purse, one on the desk), etc. All in all, my decks are still in very good condition, though, even those that have been used for over a decade. I almost wish they weren't; a worn and well-loved deck is a lovely thing.

All in all, yeah it sucks when cards get damaged, but there's nothing that can be done about it once it happens. It's in the past; its over. So I prefer not to obsess about it. I'm the same way with my crystals, if they fall and get chipped or broken. I try not to fret about it for long, because I realize there's no point. Sometimes I get upset for a moment, but it's an exercise in letting go; you have to make the attempt and be willing to love something despite its imperfections. I have accepted that nothing in life is or can ever be perfect. Perfection is an illusion. It's one I used to struggle with, but I'm letting it go. Those who cling to the notion of perfection tend to be overly critical of themselves and others, thinking they are not good enough the way they are; those who attempt to preserve things in a "perfect" state are also often clinging to a false sense of security, thinking that if they're extremely careful, they will always be safe, comfortable, at peace. But neither of these thoughts is true, and this kind of thinking will only make a person more fearful and depressed in the long run. We can't resist imperfection or change or discomfort; these things are inevitable with anything in life, and if we aren't willing to accept that and go with the flow, we're setting ourselves up for an unpleasant journey. I don't mean to get all preachy or to accuse you of anything; these are just patterns I've noticed in my personal experience that express themselves in ways like this. If you notice you have these thoughts, definitely ask yourself why you're having them, and challenge them; they are irrational and can cause a lot of problems, emotional and otherwise. I know first hand! :)

Grizabella

You'd hate my favorite decks, then. Even my Bonefire that was a gift given to me last month is already getting a worn feel. I can't say worn look, though, because even though the background is dark, its not doing the chipping a lot of decks with dark backgrounds do. It's a matte finish...but that's not our topic.

I don't collect decks so I use all mine at times and my favorites get worn from use. I'm careful not to use them roughly or carelessly but they don't all look pristine. Maybe using Tarot on your phone would be a good solution for you. I don't know how that works but it seems to be popular. That way you could just store your actual decks safely away somewhere but still use Tarot. Whoever said you can't have your cake and eat it, too, would eat his words in this day and age, wouldn't he?

nisaba

I have several handkerchiefs I got from my great grandmother that I use to wrap some of my decks; the one's she loved are very pale from washing, a couple even have holes and tears. The pristine ones don't mean nearly as much to me because they clearly didn't mean as much to her.

<warm smile>

I would not buy a really battered deck, would piss me off seeing it every time... so neglected and abused.

Isn't the neglected deck the one that sits in a drawer and never gets touched so that it will look perfect?

Abuse is ... deliberately tearing a deck or deliberately trampling it underfoot in a pool of oil or something.

Loving a deck and *using* it regularly and often, with all that that entails in the way of normal wear and tear through time, is not neglect, and is not abuse.

canid

I do the Umbrae table thing sometimes if a deck is so stiff it makes my arthritic hands hurt. It DOES break down the fibers & makes it more pliable. Another deck I accidentally aged beyond belief was the Gilded while tossing the cards in the air a hundred times to take a photo of 'flying cards' around my head, then didn't realize till too late the cement driveway I was picking them up off of was WAY aging them. Still love it though. Thankfully, Ciro stepped in, took over & voila! My avatar! He really arted it up, didn't he? Thank you Ciro!

I also eat spaghetti & drink tea around my cards *gasp*. And I used to let Dreyfuss (horse) choose a card while drooling green slime (he had no teeth so gummed & sucked on grass, them would spit out tumbleweeds). No biggie. But I do NOT use them while on the toilet. Not that I can remember... If something gets on them, oh well. It's a memory.

But like, oh shoot, I can't scroll backward to see who just said it, but no, I would NOT like sticky honey stuff on them. Gotta shuffle, right? Plus, if they get too worn to handle, time to replace. That's probably when I'd do the table trick to make it softer. I've heard you can lightly sand them then apply a tea mixture to age it. I don't know about that, though, that could make them warp because of moisture. My cement driveway definitely doubled as sandpaper anyway. I DO like my cards trimmed because it makes them smaller, again for pained hands. Although, I haven't trimmed Dreaming Way yet. Hmm. I don't like borders either but it's so very time consuming & the scissors hurt. Anyway, I like my decks looking like they're USED, not bubble-wrapped. Some are, some aren't cause some I just don't use.

Mystic Zyl

I like to keep my clean as possible. I noticed that a lot of clients are drawn to pulling cards that have been slightly bent or marked....they are just attracted to them. I use the fan method for picking cards so I try to use new deck for clients to stop that situation from happening.

Personally, I like using my aged decks for myself and some of my clients I have them close their eyes while picking! Aged decks show the love and thought you have put into them.

danieru_X

I don't mind me cards to look used, but a couple of my decks are slightly warped and other than putting heavy things on top of the deck is there any other way I can fix this?