Osho Zen Tarot Deck

Khatruman

I find it amazing how differently people can react to the same deck. That says to me how much one's own intuition and understandings are important in the whole divination and card reading process.

I have recently heard at least three people talk about the "creepiness" of the Osho Zen deck. Through all my recent tarot purchasing frenzy, the Osho Zen remains my favorite deck. I have had many people who are not familiar with tarot get a very clear understanding of a reading with the Osho Zen. With the Rider Waite, they don't get it until I explain some of the symbolism, and they feel it as more of an occult thing. Osho Zen makes them feel more comfortable. And the Thoth often has people shuddering.

I do take out the Master card, because I find it too specific to be archetypal, which I think tarot ought to be. I just purchased Osho's Tarot in the Spirit of Zen book. I like the Zen philosophy of the deck, the focus on "now". I had no knowledge of the Osho controversy to taint my impression of the deck, so I really don't believe the controversy has an influence on the cards themselves or the imagery. That seems to be an issue involved in the organization, not the zen philosophy of the cards themselves.

Even the "negative" cards in the deck don't seem creepy to me. They reflect negativity only in humanity's disconnection with its own self awareness. I feel it as a lack that can be corrected, not, as some other decks portray negativity, as a dark force that overwhelms. Not even sure if I explained that right, but suffice it to say that Osho Zen tarot stands as my favorite deck.

paradoxx

Something happened to my Osho deck, not sure what, but its readings were becoming very very vauge and those that were direct were very, well, creepy. however, out of sheer synchronisity, i had left them next to a burning incense and the cards became slightly burnt on one side. The synchronisity does not end there, the deck was organized in order and the only cards that were affected by the burning insense was the major arcania, including the master card.

The keywords are very specific and can be more of the oracle than the pictures. Oshos excerpts are very enlighthing, although sometimes remanisant of the cult aspects. My favorite is the 6 of rainbows, Comprimise. This is one of the more accurate decsk i have and thanks to teh internet i can brag about it.

little

I think the Osho Zen is incredibly beautiful. In fact, its artwork is my favorite in my collection.

Like the Thoth, it requires me to put aside my knowledge of its creator's unsavory life and simply appreciate the artwork itself.

I think the Osho is very beginner-friendly, although you'd have to start learning more or less from scratch again with a more traditional deck.

I don't find it creepy at all, and I leave the Master in. I simply reinterpret the card- when it turns up in my readings, I see it as a teacher or role model.

Logiatrix

:)

Agreed, it is very beautiful, and also quite profound. I love this deck.:)

ladycheryllynne

I just picked up this deck yesterday. Wow! When they tell you to buy a deck that talks to you, I can now understand the meaning in that. This deck talks to me. I'm a beginner. Not doing too bad learning I must admit. I do however get somewhat bored by the same ol' cards. Osho Zen has been jumping out at me from the beginning. Now that I've got it, I have no doubt I'll do well with it. Some cards cause me a little challenge, but for the most part I'm able to pick a card and read it. I will admit I have a little knowledge of Eastern philosophies, so the meaning in the cards do not seem unusual to me. If you don't have an open mind, I can see where Westerners or those that only see in black and white, may not be able to get the jest of the meanings. I say give it a try. It's by far my favorite (I have four decks now), and I don't want for another as of now. Notice I say as of now. :) Good luck!

Demonesse

"Eastern" philosophy differs among different cultures. The Osho deck would not reflect the views of many Indians, methinks. Even in Buddhism you get different sects: Zen, Mahayana, Theravada etc.

I tend to agree with Tauni. The Osho Zen seems to me a so-called Zen-philosophy deck made to suit 'Westerners'. To quote her post, "Such canned quasi-oriental wisdom translates (and sells) well to the Western mind."

It is hardly the epitome of Eastern philosophy(!), although the deck itself and the inclusion of (probably somewhat skewed) Tao in it is actually not half bad...

jay_haque

a thought

to quote alan watts from his 1969 lecture on zen (downloadable from kazaa or shareaza):

the teachings of zen (particularly zen tales) work by 'shaking' the disciple, using any means necessary (whether absurdity, humor, fear etc) in order that they may experience zen (for zen is an experience and not something that can be captured on paper).

one story runs so:

a master was walking in the woods with 3 disciples. he picked up a branch and said, 'what is it?' to the first disciple.

the monk hesitated so the master hit him over the head with it.

he then turned to the second disciple and said, 'what is it?' holding out the branch.

the monk hesitated so the master hit him over the head too.

he turned to the third monk and asked, 'what is it?'

the monk replied, 'give me it so i may examine it and tell you what it is'

the master tossed his disciple the stick and the disciple promptly hit the master over the head with it,

to which the master replied, 'Ah! well you got yourself out of that one didnt you.'

the end.

the osho zen deck functions similar to this story. the creepy feeling people mention is the stick landing on their head. It makes no sense, it is absurd, it is a cheapshot and suggests violence. those who can work spontaneously and use the stick as the third monk are those the deck will work for. The deck is then the tool leading towards spontaneity, a trust in intuition and enlightenment with a sense of wonder and playfullness simultaneously.

Master_Margarita

Is it necessary to approve of the author of a deck to find the deck useful?

Is it possible to interpret a deck differently than the author may have strongly desired you to do?

Just thoughts...

M~

Morningstar

I had a weird feeling about the Master card too....so I just decided that I would use it as a bookmark or something, not as a part of the deck.

Did this too. I'd have no idea how to interpret it when I draw it.

I love the deck, overall. I'm still a beginner and for me, this one is easier to do readings with. Making sense of the cards, their positions in a spread, and how they apply to the Querent's life is just easier with this deck.

Still planning to get a RW-based deck to study Tarot.

fyreflye

The Master card is about the Master that lives within you. To draw this card is very auspicious. But if you draw it will you know how to contact the Master within you?