Pentacles - I really don't feel them

gypsiejones71

I absolutely agree. Pentacles, for me, are the way a situation manifests after the initial feeling (cups), thought (swords) or aspiration (wands).
For example, the 8 of Pentacles; I think I want to learn something so I actually do just that.

Best wishes x

PageofCups

In other Tarot decks, the Pentacles is nicknamed Coin or Disks. I prefer Pentacles because I've learned through my own personal experiences that, the suit itself is about a lot more than just physical bodies and material possesions. I can understand that some would have an aversion or grudge towards certain trumps (for example, I rarely get Wands, if ever) and that it may be harder to interpret. And yes, in some spread, you are required to only use the Major Arcana without having to imbalance the system, but that's because the Major Arcana and Minor Arcana are two seperate bodies, they don't require each other necessarily.

rwcarter

Moderator Note

Let's return the discussion to how Fiver11 can better understand Pentacles and their various meanings.

cheimonette

This is curious because I would have thought if someone was going to dispense with a suit it would have been swords as many see this as the most 'troublesome' suit.

That's funny, swords are my absolute favorite suit!

I have also had trouble with pentacles/ disks/ coins/ whatever. They're a little hard to pin down because the other suits (reason, imagination, emotion) seem to have physical incarnations that obviate the need for an entire suit about material matters. I have come to think of pentacles of representing our animal nature; instincts, reactions, drives that are supremely biological, built by evolution rather than constructed by our personalities, our culture, our history, etc.

I suppose this all has to do with the trouble of how to apply the four medieval humours to the modern world. (?)

Mystic Zyl

What deck are you using? I know I have a few decks that were really made for the commercial aspect of selling them becasue they had pretty pictures on them...like a unicorn jumping over 6 roses...what is that suppose to mean? It means they got $20.00 from you and you are no closer to learning tarot. Try a Rider Waite book, it should bring you comfort.

ravenest

I absolutely agree. Pentacles, for me, are the way a situation manifests after the initial feeling (cups), thought (swords) or aspiration (wands).
For example, the 8 of Pentacles; I think I want to learn something so I actually do just that.

Best wishes x

I like this. For me I see it (one way) as an example; Inspiration (comes from 'spirit') manifests in the individual creative aspect (fire), we see how we 'feel' about it (water), work out a rational plan (swords) and do it (earth).

ravenest

That's funny, swords are my absolute favorite suit!

I have also had trouble with pentacles/ disks/ coins/ whatever. They're a little hard to pin down because the other suits (reason, imagination, emotion) seem to have physical incarnations that obviate the need for an entire suit about material matters. I have come to think of pentacles of representing our animal nature; instincts, reactions, drives that are supremely biological, built by evolution rather than constructed by our personalities, our culture, our history, etc.

I suppose this all has to do with the trouble of how to apply the four medieval humours to the modern world. (?)

I see a relation in what you wrote to the Hebrew (or more correctly 'Hermetic Kabbalistic' ) "Parts of the Soul"; The Nephesh; some relate that to earth (or final 'He').

LeFou

Howdy Fiver11,

I find the word "Pentacles" meaningless, so I always use Coins.

Coins are "stored" value. A farmer works a whole season to get just a handful of them, and they have to last through a very long winter. It takes a lifetime of work to accumulate that 9 of Coins scenario!

In ancient times, emperors went to great trouble (melting down, etc.) just to have their face on the coins, to spread their power via the coins' talisman-type power. Of course, some emperors "debased" their currencies (lack of values, no integrity, short-term thinking).

According to Jung, we are strong in one "suit" and the opposite suit is our weakest:

.........Coins
Swords.......Cups
........Wands

So you might be Wandsy! (You might find your MBTI type of interest here.)

ravenest

What deck are you using? I know I have a few decks that were really made for the commercial aspect of selling them becasue they had pretty pictures on them...like a unicorn jumping over 6 roses...what is that suppose to mean? It means they got $20.00 from you and you are no closer to learning tarot. Try a Rider Waite book, it should bring you comfort.

I think cheimonette's post (if that is what you are refering to) shows deep penetrative insight ... certainly not an insight 'fertilised' by Unicorns jumping over roses (however good Unicorn fertiliser is for roses ;) ). It might not even be found (or deciphered ) in a Rider Waite book.

Fiver11

Universal Waite and Gilded Tarot - not a unicorn in sight.

Reference wise I tend to refer to Rachel Pollack and Mary Greer so once again - still no unicorns :)