Pentacles - I really don't feel them

Fiver11

I would be quite happy to have a tarot deck without pentacles (except the 2 of pentacles - that can stay). I tend to think of them as earthy, practical, work and money related but often they appear in spreads which are not on this subject.

How do you feel about pentacles, how do you see them, how do you read them?

Any thoughts, suggestions or tips?

F.

BodhiSeed

Hey Fiver, welcome to the AT forum!:) Besides money and work, being practical and grounded, pentacles (for me) may represent my resources and how I care for them. This might include physical things like my car or my body and my health. It may have to do with the energy I expend or over-expend. And at its most basic, it may include the earth and its resources - water, soil, trees, wildlife, etc. I also see pentacles as including time, thus the phrases such as "time well-spent" or "time is money."

rwcarter

Do you only get Cups for love readings, Swords for readings about conflict or Wands for readings about business? Pentacles could represent a mature, grounded love, one that's likely taken decades to get to where it is now. Or they could represent the foundation (cause) of a conflict. Or they could represent resources that one has available to them in a conflict.

Pentacles can mean lots of things, but, as with all the suits, it really depends on context. Take a look at our own resident rock star Thirteen's suit meanings over on the other side of Aeclectic and see if any of that helps you.

ravenest

I think if I took the pentacles out of my deck many readings would be very inconclusive.

For someone that is right into the nicely balanced system of the tarot I would be abhorred actually to see someone using a deck they had taken the pentacles out of.

It would be like saying; I have an identity and individuality, an emotional body, a mind and a physical body(wands, cups, swords, pentacles) .... I think I will get rid of my physical body because I don't like it;sometimes it's troublesome (and it IS too :laugh: ) and just work from the mind, emotions and identity.

Richard

Pentacles represent the material world. As Ravenest wrote, for a person, Pentacles represent the physical body. I don't see how Tarot could possibly work without that suit (or something equivalent).

ana luisa

Boy, oh boy. I can SO see myself saying the same thing years ago :laugh: I used to hate pentacles. So much I felt like simply taking them out of the deck for good. Check this out:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=86538

What helped me throughout the years was giving up this initial impression that pentacles only refer to money or that concrete things cannot involve love or emotion. It is just "the way" they are manifested. I specially like a post by Sophie in this thread. Miss your posts, Sophie!! I printed it and attached it to my tarot journal. It may help you too. Also, this place is by far the best for you to enrich your appreciation for the cards and their suits. enjoy and welcome!!!

BodhiSeed

Boy, oh boy. I can SO see myself saying the same thing years ago :laugh: I used to hate pentacles. So much I Pfelt like simply taking them out of the deck for good. Check this out:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=86538

What helped me throughout the years was giving up this initial impression that pentacles only refer to money or that concrete things cannot involve love or emotion. It is just "the way" they are manifested. I specially like a post by Sophie in this thread. Miss your posts, Sophie!! I printed it and attached it to my tarot journal. It may help you too. Also, this place is by far the best for you to enrich your appreciation for the cards and their suits. enjoy and welcome!!!

So true about the crossover with things and emotion. I just pulled the Ten of Pentacles the other day, and the message was loud and clear: it doesn't matter how many "blessings" I have if I don't have someone to share them with!

nisaba

I would be quite happy to have a tarot deck without pentacles (except the 2 of pentacles - that can stay). I tend to think of them as earthy, practical, work and money related but often they appear in spreads which are not on this subject.

How do you feel about pentacles, how do you see them, how do you read them?

Any thoughts, suggestions or tips?

F.

They are about the real world. They indicate that you should not be thinking spirituality, or airy-fairy, or theoretical when you interpret them, they are about the nuts and bolts of life.

Which makes them the most indispensable suit of all. Can't live without them. :)

ravenest

This is curious because I would have thought if someone was going to dispense with a suit it would have been swords as many see this as the most 'troublesome' suit.

Richard

This is curious because I would have thought if someone was going to dispense with a suit it would have been swords as many see this as the most 'troublesome' suit.
Probably some book about Tarot divination said that Pentacles are money or material possessions. If those were the only things the suit represents, then Pentacles wouldn't be of much use to me either. :)