Pronunciation?

gregory

kaesrel said:
I've been saying Tarot like in carrot... *hides* I must've annoyed so many people who overheard me. :(
Nah - you get to say it however you want.

I know at least two people here who have read for years and pronounce it as you do. I did till I found I was in a minority !

Baroli

(I'm sorry for posting so many threads recently - I am new to the forum and to Tarot and I have so many questions!)

Don't apologize for posting so many threads,....you are learning and teaching us all at the same time.

It's okay. :)

ETA: 'sides,...I like this kind of question. It's fun and refreshing and a cool question.

Lillie

gregory said:
Nah - you get to say it however you want.

I know at least two people here who have read for years and pronounce it as you do. I did till I found I was in a minority !

Yeah, one of them people is me.

Tarot rhymes with carrot, it's what the T at the end is for.

Pronounce it how you like, there is no correct pronunciation of aluminium.
If other people don't like it that's their problem.

I speak the way I do because of who I am and where I live and all that. My speech is part of my self, my pronunciation of certain words is part of me.
I'm not going to change a habit of a lifetime to please other people.

Hierophant.

Hero Fant.

Going to tell me that's wrong too?

Al you min e um.

Priestess

Oh Gregory
What a laugh I had at those cards on the link you posted they are brilliant and so funny....couldn't get the Enjoy link unfortunately. Thanks for posting this and giving me such a belly laugh honestly...I thoroughly enjoyed each and every one.

Oh just to add I've always said high ro phant myself. When I first started I did used to pronounce it air o phant???? Oh my....how we learn lol. Thanks for the laugh Gregory really enjoyed it!!

ETA...... I say Tar o and always have Gregory???????? I hope that's ok with everyone lol! x

Jaqueline

I say Heirophant with a silent "h" - so "AIR-O-FANT"

nisaba

FadeToWhite said:
In the communities I've lived in, people involved with Tarot always pronounce it to rhyme exactly with "arrow" or "sparrow". I've on ly once or twice heard differently, and that was from people who had never had exposure to people, and had seem the word in books.

FadeToWhite said:
Hierophant
I pronounce it randomly either "High Priest" or Pope", myself, with perhaps a slight increase in "Pope" for older decks or decks weighted towards obvious Christian symbolism (like the Grail Tarot). that way, non-Tarotistas immediately know what you're talking about - and High Priest has a much less complicated energy to it.

roppo

In Japan we pronounce "Tarot" as "Tah-roh--toh". Thirty or forty years ago there were some aggressive discussions among the Japanese fortune-tellers and occult writers concerning the pronounciation and somehow the TAh-Roh-Toh gangs knocked out the Tah-Roh guys. Anyway Japanese language has just five vowels compared to the standard English 14 or more. You cannot expect any reasonable Western sounds from us :D

zan_chan

roppo said:
g
Anyway Japanese language has just five vowels compared to the standard English 14 or more. You cannot expect any reasonable Western sounds from us :D

Ugh. You're telling me!

I fall into the "TAH-roh" and "HIGH-ro-phant" camp on the pronunciation thing, but when speaking Japanese, as roppo said, am forced to go with ta-row-to.

Morwenna

TAA-ro. HIGH-ro-fant.

BTW, when I was taking French I learned that supposedly French has no accented syllables; the syllables are equal, except for those with a "schwa" E which often get swallowed. The English perception of the French accenting on the second syllable comes from hearing it equal to the first instead of secondary to it, thus implying that the first syllable has to be the unaccented one! Wrong... But the English ear has done this from time immemorial. In a way, the French Canadians seem to have followed the English in this, probably because they're surrounded by English speakers whether they like it or not. I'm trying to remember my mother's French, which seemed to have been a cross between France French and Anglicized French (at least in syllable stress--Old Canadian French is pronounced like nothing else on earth, and is most likely a medieval throwback).

Take for instance the name Marie, the French form of Mary. English says MAY-ree. French says MAH-REE. So English calls the French form mah-REE.

And we won't mention silent consonants on the end of around 90% of French words... ;)

Orenda

FadeToWhite said:
(I'm sorry for posting so many threads recently - I am new to the forum and to Tarot and I have so many questions!)
Fabulous to see so many give feedback on pronunciation, and that multiple members think it's wonderful that you're posting away, and really...
is there anything more appropriate for the Talking Tarot forum then a discussion on pronunication?! lolololol