Reading a book

mza

Hello!
I don’t know if anyone has tried this. Its silly but the other day I was lazy to pick up my cards and shuffle so I decided I was going to get a reading from a book. I used a book I’ve read before and from one of my favourite authors. Asked a series of question like in a spread . I‘ve tried this twice and strangely it seems to work :/, for me anyway. With tarot I normally make up a spread as I go along with specific questions and of course the card that comes up for each question is the answer, as you normally do :) . Anyway I thought I’d try this on someone else just to see what happens. How I do it is I ask a question and pick a page then in that page choose the sentence I’m drawn to. It might be one , two or three sentences and that becomes the answer to the question. However I ask the questions and pick the pages first before going back to read and sift out the clues. I’ve gone completely mad I know, but these days it seems I’m lazy to shuffle lol.

I wouldn’t like to do a predictive reading. It is just to see if I can get a general idea of what’s going on with the sitter. It might not work out, all I want to see is if my two readings have just been flukes :). The book is called Butterfly Box, and by the way I’ll see if I can check with a single tarot clarifier card.
What do you think? It will be a short reading of course.

Scotty_Bane

You are not mad. You are just drawn to listen to the Universe. What you are doing is called Stichomancy - the process of divination through books and lines of written word. I only know of this process being done in a state of trance while looking at or through the lines of words, but this is along the same lines and is quite interesting to me. I would appreciate any more info you gather or is revealed to you on the matter.

Scotty_Bane

Also I would love to sit for this. Ill provide whatever feedback you like as I am very interested in this process.

Sorry for not adding this in my 1st post :)

ramin

I am amazed how we all create our own ways of connecting with universe . I have done this for about 15 years. Whenever I want an answer I go to a meditation/divination books etc and open a page. I usually find an answer or an example how to deal with the situation.
Universe always gives us answers to our problems only thing is we have to believe in it.

mza

Also I would love to sit for this. Ill provide whatever feedback you like as I am very interested in this process.

Sorry for not adding this in my 1st post :)
:) Thanks for your comments Scotty Bane and ramin, its a relief to hear that. Scotty what is your question?

Scotty_Bane

Hello!
I wouldn’t like to do a predictive reading. It is just to see if I can get a general idea of what’s going on with the sitter.

That is what I thought the idea was. A general read on me. I would like to see this work for us so lets keep the question broad and hope for a broad range of information to hit you. So for my question I would like some guidance for my most recent endevor.

graspee

The classic example of course is using the bible, which people have been using in this way for years. I remember when we did Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy at college there is a scene where the heroine, Bathsheba Everdene uses a bible in this way to try to divine something about her love life.

Cat*

If you put "bibliomancy" into the search box you'll find several threads where people have read just that way. We even had some delightful bibliomancy exchanges back then.

(This is not meant to crush your fascination with your new discovery, by the way, just as extra information in case anyone is interested!)

Bibliomancy has a special place in my heart, although I rarely practice it. Maybe I should change that...

KMilliron

I was considering doing this. I have lots of physical books, but I also have over 30 gigabytes of ebooks. (1 Gigabyte= 1024 Megabytes, 1 megabyte= 1024 kilobytes, Stephen King's It is 1774 Megabytes. To give you an idea of how many books I have)

I'm not experienced with other ereaders, but in the kindle you can go to a location that's dictated by a number. Choose a random number, be sent to a random section. It would work. Personally I'd choose one of the books I haven't read yet, just to make things interesting.

Cat*

I'm not experienced with other ereaders, but in the kindle you can go to a location that's dictated by a number. Choose a random number, be sent to a random section. It would work. Personally I'd choose one of the books I haven't read yet, just to make things interesting.
I love that idea! You could also ask people to give you a random number between the ones given by the Kindle but not tell them the book you're using.