Reading a book

KMilliron

I love that idea! You could also ask people to give you a random number between the ones given by the Kindle but not tell them the book you're using.

One page (with the smallest font) will say something along the lines of location 1657-1843 so there are plenty of numbers to choose from, haha.

SunChariot

Hello!
I don’t know if anyone has tried this. Its silly but the other day I was lazy to pick up my cards and shuffle so I decided I was going to get a reading from a book. I used a book I’ve read before and from one of my favourite authors. Asked a series of question like in a spread . I‘ve tried this twice and strangely it seems to work :/, for me anyway. With tarot I normally make up a spread as I go along with specific questions and of course the card that comes up for each question is the answer, as you normally do :) . Anyway I thought I’d try this on someone else just to see what happens. How I do it is I ask a question and pick a page then in that page choose the sentence I’m drawn to. It might be one , two or three sentences and that becomes the answer to the question. However I ask the questions and pick the pages first before going back to read and sift out the clues. I’ve gone completely mad I know, but these days it seems I’m lazy to shuffle lol.

I wouldn’t like to do a predictive reading. It is just to see if I can get a general idea of what’s going on with the sitter. It might not work out, all I want to see is if my two readings have just been flukes :). The book is called Butterfly Box, and by the way I’ll see if I can check with a single tarot clarifier card.
What do you think? It will be a short reading of course.

I have actually tried this before and it has worked for me to. My understanding of how the Universe works is that no matter what tool we use to get answers, if we ask the answers will be sent through that method. I even thing there is a name for this type of divinination. If it were a Bible it would be called Biblomancy (not sure of the spelling) but i am sure there is a name for it with other books too.

I have tried using all kinds of methods in my time. And tney pretty well all worked, even looking at a candle flame and decided that if it was bobbing up and down the answer was yes and moving from side to side the answer was no. Or the time I spread out lots of photographs and read them as if they were cards. It all worked. And yes I have done what you have too and it worked for me too, It was not a fluke.

Face it, we will in a world that loves to communicate with us in any way we ask. :heart:
It will work if you beleive in it or at least are willing to do so, and take it seriously. It ought to work with almost any book.

Babs

rwcarter

According to dictionary.com, Bibliomancy is defined as:

bib·li·o·man·cy   [bib-lee-oh-man-see]
noun
divination by means of a book, especially the Bible, opened at random to some verse or passage, which is then interpreted.

and Sitchomancy is defined as:
Stich"o*man`cy\, n. [Gr. ? a line + -mancy.] Divination by lines, or passages of books, taken at hazard.

So either could be used to describe the technique.

KMilliron

I'm a huge supporter of banned books week, so I may offer readings using banned/challenged books in the divination section.

le_charior

I'm a huge supporter of banned books week, so I may offer readings using banned/challenged books in the divination section.

banned books week... learned something new, i had never heard of that before.

sounds like a fascinating method of divination, with real books or ebooks alike!

EDITED TO ADD: here is the first exchange Cat* mentioned above, or at least one bibliomancy exchange: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=94027 Lots of interesting stuff to read, I am very tempted to try this myself now, just need to get some appropriate books out!

And I found a very amusing thread where gregory did readings from Alice in Wonderland: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=141976

Glass Owl

My Twilight Saga Audiobook passage readings are basically bibliomancy with a twist. Same goes for my iPod song divination readings. There have been times that I have combined them with Tarot or Oracle cards.

amethyst57

the main character in Wilke Collins' book 'the moonstone' used 'robinson caruso',
if he needed guidance with a problem or was stressed out....
interesting way of divination, if ya find a book that works for ya like that...
some people use just a dictionary....but i do think some of the classic novels or shakespeare would be more interesting to try....

KMilliron

I would suggest Perks of Being a Wallflower, it's my favorite book and I relate to it well. The character has an interesting thought process so snippets of his mind would definitely give you something to think about.

mza

That is what I thought the idea was. A general read on me. I would like to see this work for us so lets keep the question broad and hope for a broad range of information to hit you. So for my question I would like some guidance for my most recent endevor.

Crikey I’ve been swamped by work and everything out there. So sorry I’ve been awol. Scotty I finally got to it and I’ve managed a general reading for you. From the Butterfly Box this is what I got , I’ve typed a few excerpts from it (I hope this will not be copyright infringement :/). Its just obviously to describe my interpretation for anyone that hasn’t read that book. Ok here goes nothing…

1.Tell me the physical world and factors affecting Scotty re this recent endeavour. Page 91
“ He’d wire money to England, enough for them to live well. Helena should have been grateful, his offer was generous but she only felt bitterness”

2. How Scotty feels, their needs/wants/aspirations regarding this endeavour. p353
Federica stalled by the door, trembling. “I’m so nervous I feel sick” she said hoarsely. “I won’t know what to say”.

3.It’s process/progress recently. p425
“I’ll befriend your wife if you make time to see me” she bargained.
….
“You probably don’t remember meeting me at the wedding. You had to be introduced to so many new people”

4.Anything Scotty needs to know about this endeavour which might be useful. p209
…Then she told him about Hal and her shoulders eased up and her throat loosened until she began to laugh without bitterness or resentment.

Clarifier- Mystic dreamer deck...2 of Cups reversed.

1.Ok I took this to mean you are comfortable enough materially * or in near future you may well be.
2. Generally you feel uneasy about something but can’t pinpoint it. You might be doing something that other people like family/friends want you to do but isn’t really what you seek. However it might feel like you’re already in too deep to go backwards.
3.Progress has likely been marred by deception of some sort.
4. Something that might be useful is having an open mind and looking at things afresh, relax and don’t dwell too much on past mistakes as that might frustrate your efforts in the present.

Clarifier indicates it to be relations with someone and its on a deep emotional level.

Ok! That's me being vague. You know, this book is a romance so the chances of the reading leaning towards that are quite high.

*I peeped at bottom of deck and found a 9xPents reversed just for fun, might mean mean something or maybe not.

mza

According to dictionary.com, Bibliomancy is defined as:

and Sitchomancy is defined as:

So either could be used to describe the technique.

I love love love the Bible! I might use that sometime for myself.