Religion and Tarot

Sphinxmoth

asphodel said:
VERY interesting article -- ! you know, seriously, absolutely ANYTHING can be turned into something 'spiritually unhealthy' if you USE it that way. Why oh WHY would anyone be afraid of a box full of colored bits of paper? Maybe what people are afraid of, is what's inside their head--afraid of exploring the un-used corners of their mind...afraid of what they'll find in the dusty corners of their heart

Maybe what people are afraid of, is what's inside their head

Possibly. I think it is more true, however, that people are afraid of what's
inside other people's heads and hearts, and the lack of control they
may exercise over the same.

I went to Lutheran Sunday school for years and years, and don't recall
ever being encouraged as part of that form of spirituality to develop my
own individual human instincts, or being taught what symbolism was,
or meant.
Don't ever recall being told my religion was "symbolic" at all.
Instead of swallowing the whole thing hook, line and sinker, I weaseled
out on the very day of what was supposed to be my first communion.

I had a deep-down feeling that it was the very definition of hypocrisy itself
to "confirm" in a public ritual that I held a set of abstract beliefs that, in
truth, I had no such belief or faith in, or really understood, at all.
I was never confirmed, never took communion, and have rarely had the
need to step into any church since then.

I attach no spiritual beliefs whatsoever to tarot cards, and cannot see
that their usefulness is in any way dependent upon any higher power
(under any name you care to give it) than what the universe provides us
all, believers and non-believers, and which I will only go so far as to call
auspicious coincidence.

Splungeman

Sphinxmoth said:
Maybe what people are afraid of, is what's inside their head

Possibly. I think it is more true, however, that people are afraid of what's
inside other people's heads and hearts, and the lack of control they
may exercise over the same.

I went to Lutheran Sunday school for years and years, and don't recall
ever being encouraged as part of that form of spirituality to develop my
own individual human instincts, or being taught what symbolism was,
or meant.
Don't ever recall being told my religion was "symbolic" at all.
Instead of swallowing the whole thing hook, line and sinker, I weaseled
out on the very day of what was supposed to be my first communion.

I had a deep-down feeling that it was the very definition of hypocrisy itself
to "confirm" in a public ritual that I held a set of abstract beliefs that, in
truth, I had no such belief or faith in, or really understood, at all.
I was never confirmed, never took communion, and have rarely had the
need to step into any church since then.

I attach no spiritual beliefs whatsoever to tarot cards, and cannot see
that their usefulness is in any way dependent upon any higher power
(under any name you care to give it) than what the universe provides us
all, believers and non-believers, and which I will only go so far as to call
auspicious coincidence.

Amen!

Wait...that's what they ay in church...ahem.....HUZZAH!!!

I love the last bit...auspicious coincidence. Wonderful!

Payewacker

Hi Guys,

To blend religion and Tarot, in many peoples book is their own perspective. If we look at the basic principles in religious groupings, some of them are totally fanatical and would point a finger at any other religion, be it Wicca, Christian, Muslim etc, I explain it like this, to acheive spiritual attainment, you have differing religious groupings, I liken it to a bunch of keys. Many doors have more than one keyhole and perhaps more than one smaller rings. So whichever key fits the locks, is the one where you feel contentment. So getting to the topic, one of our paths to contentment is the wisdom we learn from the Tarot, no matter in which religion you are. Those then questioning our ability to read Tarot and alter our circumstances as well as other people's, using the Tarot as a Tool, maybe correct in their own mind, we know our opproach is attainment, it's our essence and lifestyle.

Blessed be

mystic mal

In my 63 years I have been drawn into studying many religions and cults but havent "pitched my tent" to any of them.I have been an outsider looking in at them and realise they all have a thread that links a bracelet together as beads each containing different patterns but all linked together to make a "circle of thoughts".To have an open mind but not committ (or condemn) any of them is the way to go.

Indigo Rose

Nevermore said:
I remember her nickname right? IndigoRose has some very beautiful things to say about Christianity and Tarot.

gregory said:
You remember her right. IndigoRose is the voice of sanity here where religion vs. tarot as a potential area of conflict is concerned. IMHO, anyway.

(((Nevermore and Gregory)))Thank you for your kind words. :)

I believe in Jesus Christ and He is my Lord. I also read Tarot. I've heard all the arguments and condemnations, but ultimately I did my own scriptural research and prayerful seeking. As a result, I have great peace regarding my spiritual pathway. It is important to remember as a Christian, you are under the Law of the New Covenant. LOVE is the LAW. :love:

What you said here caught my attention:

boxxleman said:
I, personally, am a Christian (not a radical, TAROT CARDS ARE EVIL, type). Using tarot cards (for me) let's me tap into God's creation as the universe as a whole.

Bravo!!! Follow your heart, Jeff. The peace of following the truth in your heart will guide you rightly. :love:

boxxleman

Indigo Rose said:
Bravo!!! Follow your heart, Jeff. The peace of following the truth in your heart will guide you rightly. :love:

Thank you! I have followed my heart. I feel so enlightened now and closer to God it's unbelievable. I'm glad we are both on the same path and have the same feelings about the Tarot. I feel as if I'm a new person now, with Him guiding me every step of the way. Reading the bible, and using the cards to even get closer to Him is the most beautiful thing in the world.

Jeff

mystic mal

I agree,it is the most beautiful thing in the world to know that God and the Tarot can speak to you on the soul level.Although I dont label myself as a Christian I take all my symbology from the Bible and incorporate it with the cards.An inner knowing knows when you are on the right path,it makes you "smile" inside.

Skysteel

boxxleman said:
How do you look at Tarot cards, and what religion are you?

As tools for accessing ones subconscious; no religion.

afrosaxon

God and I are cool. :D

After years of buying decks, throwing them away because a church I belonged to thought all divination was against God, and then buying them again...I am finally at peace with my gift.

God gave me the gift to read the cards in the first place. So how can it be a sin?

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :D

Indigo Rose

boxxleman said:
Thank you! I have followed my heart. I feel so enlightened now and closer to God it's unbelievable. I'm glad we are both on the same path and have the same feelings about the Tarot. I feel as if I'm a new person now, with Him guiding me every step of the way. Reading the bible, and using the cards to even get closer to Him is the most beautiful thing in the world.

Jeff

Amen! :)

Bless you, Jeff. :heart: