So ahh... enjoying my new Tarot Apps.

Tanga

... I've talked to a few people who maintain they couldn't possibly be accurate since you're not physically touching the cards so I'm glad to see others who don't feel that way.

So - this would be from the perspective that there must be contact - some kind of physical 'exchange of energy' for cards that turn up in the reading to be accurate...
Hmm well. *shrugs*
:)

Not certain what I believe about that.
But - I believe in belief. :) :)

Whenever I read for myself - I know that I'm dancing with my own subconscious.
So ultimately it's down to how I can dig stuff out, that will make sense and be helpful (whether it's a jolly message or a kick-ass one).
If it doesn't make sense - it doesn't make sense. Maybe I just can't read it right there and then (too close/invested in the outcome - or I don't know enough about interpreting those cards) or - the wrong stuff just came up (using real cards, or electronically).
I either return later and go "AHA!" or trash it and move on.
C'est la vie.

Atalanta

So - this would be from the perspective that there must be contact - some kind of physical 'exchange of energy' for cards that turn up in the reading to be accurate...
Hmm well. *shrugs*

Not certain what I believe about that.
I always thought it was a little goofy myself but other people, other beliefs, not my place to judge etc. Plus my world revolves around IT that it makes more sense for me to use an app than it does a physical set of cards.

Whenever I read for myself - I know that I'm dancing with my own subconscious.
So ultimately it's down to how I can dig stuff out that will make sense and be helpful (whether is a happy message or a kick-ass one).
If it doesn't make sense - it doesn't make sense. Maybe I just can't read it right there and then (too close/invested in the outcome - or I don't know enough about interpreting those cards) or - the wrong stuff just came up (using real cards, or electronically).
I either return later and go "AHA!" or trash it and move on.
C'est la vie.

That's how I see readings, as well. Less as a tool to tell the future (although I know those who do) and more as a means to define how I feel about a given situation. I've found saving my readings to review at a later date to be helpful; I may have a better understanding of what I pulled. It's much easier to send the readings from an app to Evernote or Keep then it is to take a photo, write out the meanings, etc.

Barleywine

What do you think of the interpretation given by these apps? Do you find them accurate or informative at all?

I'm a "cards in hand" kind of guy and lump electronic shuffling and dealing into the same bin as fortune-telling programs and electronic remote reading for others: not that "It can't," just that "I don't" and probably never will.

If I have the presence of mind to take a deck with me on my travels and happen to have the associated app on my Kindle, it comes along for reference. (This worked exceptionally well for the Gilded Reverie Lenormand when I had to do three back-to-back GTs.) If I really need a deck and didn't bring one, I'll just go buy one that will work, or politely decline the opportunity.

Atalanta

I'm so excited, I just found the Wisdom of the Oracle app (I know, not tarot but close) for Android. I had checked a few days ago for it so it must be new.

I wouldn't use the app for a reading for someone else, those need to have physical cards I think, but if I'm asking questions for myself then I'm good with both. Plus apps are a little more discrete if that's a concern. I've seen some fairly negative reactions to tarot cards and had some awkward conversations.

Alexandra-tt

I am on a computer 8 hours a day so I prefer to keep my paper cards with me. I so love to feel, hear the cards in my hands. That sensation is like opening a door to another quiet country, so I don't use much tarot apps, but I do have two.

I use the apps mainly to learn and 'meditate' when I am in the subway or during a coffee break (what about the background of the 3 of cups by the way? Which cards have the same lines? Why...) but I rarely use it for a spread just because I can't feel the same pleasure with an electronic drawing.
It is accurate and 'readable' but my body really do prefer cards.

I worked with 2 apps. The first was a bad one I deleted (not pretty, curious description of cards, advertisement all other). The second is the wild unknown app (galaxy software) which I so love in 'exploration' mode (a card gallery which can be sort by suit, number, charkra). The daily card widget is great to adorn my phone and make it more friendly and magic :)

That was that morning, before reading that thread on the forum.
Since I discovered 'Uni tarot'!
I am like a 3 years old girl in front of a golden pony!!!! :-D. The grand Etteilla tarot! the Tarot Egyptien! the superbe Soprafino tarot!, ... ohlala! so many gifts I wanted to use one day.
This is a free app and it is so complete, I am just impressed! A Must Have I will use before buying the decks.

Thanks to all :)

AraLuck

I love having tarot apps on my phone - I have the Liber T, Robin Wood, the Illuminati, CBD Marseille, plus a couple of I Ching and Rune apps. I have the I Ching and Rune apps on as study aids too but I find the tarot apps are always very accurate, which is unusual for me because I usually get really bad results from computer generated readings.

I find it convenient to have these apps on my phone and it means I always have decks with me.

Interesting! What kind of decks are there? I used this for reading online when I am at work:

http://www.tarotlore.com/tarot-reading/freestyle/

It gives me pretty much the same results as if I were spreading the cards... I often read at home and then come in and do an online reading after I reach my office and get pretty much the same thing.

Would love to have something on the go on my phone! I use the traditional RW.

Tanga

...That was that morning, before reading that thread on the forum.
Since I discovered 'Uni tarot'!
I am like a 3 years old girl in front of a golden pony!!!! :-D. The grand Etteilla tarot! the Tarot Egyptien! the superbe Soprafino tarot!, ... ohlala! so many gifts I wanted to use one day.
This is a free app and it is so complete, I am just impressed! A Must Have I will use before buying the decks.

Thanks to all :)

Oh - thank you for pointing this app out. :)
I fancy having Soprafino and Ettiella 3 on my mobile. Plus - I didn't like the free RWS app
that was available to me, and there isn't an alternative for my particular phone, so, happy to discover something else that I can have the RWS from.

And no - apps don't replace the wonder of the paper deck. and I'd never use them to read seriously for someone. But as you say - so useful when one is on-the-go.
A wonderful miniature Tarot library in-the-pocket, which means you have substantial info without having to cart a load of heavy stuff around.

Interesting! What kind of decks are there?.

Depends on what is available and compatible with your mobile.
Try google, and look up Tarot apps - or The Fools Dog Tarot apps.

I have a Samsung and can get all The Fools Dog Tarot/oracle apps available for android - there are about 60.
I bought 6; 3 Tarot ones, 1 Lenormand, 1 Runes, 1 DruidOracle.
There are 3 free "Sampler" apps, which use a combination of about 10 decks each (as someone mentioned here).
I tend not to like mixed images in this manner - unless I've chosen the decks myself - ones that I like. So I concluded the free samplers were not for me.
But I've not doubt they function just as well.

Atalanta

I just downloaded Uni Tarot, that looks really awesome. I have both the Galaxy Tone Tarot and the Rune apps plus The Wisdom of the Oracle and The Wisdom of Avalon apps. One of the things I don't like about the two Oracle card apps is the limited number of spreads. I've gotten spoiled by the Galaxy Tone app, there are some really lovely spreads in the app.

Atalanta

So I got a chuckle out of the Galaxy Tone app this morning. Today's Daily Card was the Nine of Swords, signifying insomnia, depression, anxiety, nightmares: all the bad things that keep you up mentally spinning your wheels. Which I read at 2:00 this morning because I had insomnia. I had a medical procedure earlier in the day and the anesthesia caused some intense anxiety and a sluggish, drugged feeling for the rest of the day. Usually that's not a cheerful card but I just laughed and thought "well, yeah and in a few more hours, this too shall pass". Spot on, though! I may have a warped sense of humor but I thought it was too funny not to share.

Michellehihi

I can't find the uni tarot app on my iphone!