Tarot of Pagan Cats

Lillie

Well yes, in that case there is pagan symbolism. But like I say, not vast amounts, mostly small things sneaked in, subtle, like.

I reckoned the most pagan thing about it was the cats themselves. To me pagan tends to suggest ideas about old religions, animism, that kind of thing and also a sort of godlessness, a rejection or dismissal of christianity, or perhaps just an ignorance of it. And cats are supremely godless.
I think of how cats were so often seen as evil, or as familiars to witches, how sometimes even the possession of a cat could be enough for condemnation.

So to me a cat is really the essence of 'pagan'. It doesn't need to do anything to be that, it just is.
But of course that's just me, just the way I see it.

I haven't read with it yet. I only got it this morning, but when I do I will report on it if you like.

This deck is just so 'not me', and yet from the moment I saw it I thought it was lovely. It put a smile on my face this morning when I first opened it, the way the standard RWS symbols are twisted to fit the fact that they are cats not people, it's lovely. I have spent ages just looking at it, seeing the little touches, like the things in the cups on the 7. So sweet, so lovely.

It really is a delightful, beautiful deck.
And I never thought I would say that about a cat deck!

lunakasha

HearthCricket said:
Any pictures? I am dying for this deck. It looks like fun and very interesting. Pagan Cats. Makes sense to me. I mean, when is the last time you saw a cat make the sign of the cross? :D Aren't they rather rich in lore and life of Pagan societies? (Some good, some bad??)

This is the only one I could find:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51mg8Yf6CNL._SS500_.jpg

Maybe Lillie would be willing to scan a few more....hint hint :D

It does sound like a fun deck, and I like the few cards I've seen so far.

:) Luna

Lillie

Debra said:
LOL it's the title of the book. Here's the explanation from wikipedia:

So no train is part of the point. I guess.

I've never read the book. But now I think of it, unless I am much mistaken, in the film when they boarded Renton into his childhood bedroom to go cold turkey wasn't the wall paper decorated with trains?
Or am I imagining it????

Debra

dunno Lillie I had my eyes squeezed shut during most all of the film :laugh:

Lillie

Good soundtrack though!

Anyway. Here are really bad scans of 4 of the cards.

Star cos I like the way the cat's stretching.
Judgement because it shows some of the witchy paraphernalia that's around.
6 swords cos someone asked and look! No boat! a cat wouldn't like a boat much would it?
and 7 cups because look at the things in the cups! The ball of wool! The mouse! How lovely is that????

It come out small, but I'm crap at scanning.

I hope Ric don't mind me showing these...

Attachments

• pagan cats.jpg
    pagan cats.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 239

cardlady22

Thank you, Lillie! Most definitely . . . this will be mine ASAP.

turtlebite

Oooo, those are magical. I think I should just resign myself to wanting all cat books, but these look especially pretty.

ETA: there seem to be two listing at Amazon usa...One for cards Oct. 20, no preorder, and one for a hardcover Feb. 1, 2011 with a pre-order available.

Lillie

TreeLeafe said:
Ah okay.

Have you tried reading with it? If you have or when you do, would you mind posting how it reads? If you find it flows nicely or if its hard to figure out whats going on, etc.

I've just read with it.
I did three cards to answer a specific question about a third persons motives regarding a relationship.

Even though the cards were well shuffled and I pick rather than deal anyway, I got three cup cards. They gave a clear answer to the question and the details on the cards allowed me to elaborated and deepen the answers indicated by general card meaning.
It is very easy to read, the RWS aspect of it gives a lot of familiarity (even though I am a thoth girl) and the little differences, the wealth of detail add to the reading very nicely.

DaughterOfDanu

Lillie said:
I've just read with it.
I did three cards to answer a specific question about a third persons motives regarding a relationship.

Even though the cards were well shuffled and I pick rather than deal anyway, I got three cup cards. They gave a clear answer to the question and the details on the cards allowed me to elaborated and deepen the answers indicated by general card meaning.
It is very easy to read, the RWS aspect of it gives a lot of familiarity (even though I am a thoth girl) and the little differences, the wealth of detail add to the reading very nicely.

Awesome! The images and your description of how it reads has won me over.

This deck is definitely on my wishlist. :3

lunakasha

Lillie said:
Anyway. Here are really bad scans of 4 of the cards.

Star cos I like the way the cat's stretching.
Judgement because it shows some of the witchy paraphernalia that's around.
6 swords cos someone asked and look! No boat! a cat wouldn't like a boat much would it?
and 7 cups because look at the things in the cups! The ball of wool! The mouse! How lovely is that????

It come out small, but I'm crap at scanning.

I hope Ric don't mind me showing these...

Oh.....those are SO sweet! Love the catnip in the 7 of Cups! :laugh:

These are really great, much better than I had expected when I first heard about this deck.

Thank you for scanning these, Lillie! :*

:love: Luna