The International Icon and Me

Satori

Next we have to decide the forum...will it be talking tarot or decks or study groups....hmm.

Okay, here's the vote:

2 for One Deck Wonder(s)

I actually like it without the s. :D

Kissa

One Deck Wonder(s) has my vote as well (thanks bleuivy!)

I guess it would be in the tarot study forum, i can pm the moddie to make sure.

Jewel-ry: this margarete petersen has your name written on it!!! but i'm keeping it safe in a sealed box for now LOL.
and i haven't packed my books neither. was thinking i should but the lazy part of me just shouted "just ignore them!"

I spent my first night with my new partner and we had fun. Showed me new things i hadn't seen before.
Seriously now: the lanscapes in the Universal Waite are really nice, lines are thinner than good ol' rws and so far, i am tremendously enjoying this new experience (well, ok it's only Day 2 now... lol)

kissa

baba-prague

Kissa said:
your experience is very inspiring to me. how bad i have the fairytale on its way from prague soon!!!

You know, you can easily use the Fairytale in an entirely non-tarot way. For example, pull a daily draw and think about the tale on the card - NOT about the usual tarot meaning. I think this is a valid way to use the deck (although of course if you combine fairytale and tarot meanings it gets REALLY interesting - but I know you won't slip into that ;-) ). Seriously, I think it's fine to be thinking about fairy stories and their meanings and symbolism only - later you can use the deck as a tarot.

bleuivy

Hmmm...I also think our little study group belongs in, well, tarot study groups. :) But of course we should leave the decision up to our faithful mods.

And I also think I like "One Deck Wonder" (without the 's') for the title of the study group thing. We could always call ourselves "One Deck Wonders" should the need arise for a name for the people participating in the group.

As for which deck to use, I think I've settled on something. Sort of. I think I want to use the RWS or an RWS clone - i.e. recoloured but not redrawn (although my Hanson-Roberts and Golden is protesting mightily, lol). But I don't want to use the Universal Waite because I want to look at the deck with completely new eyes, and the Universal Waite was my main reading deck for the longest time.

I'm still considering the International Icon, but I think I want to use a deck with faces, at least for the first 6 months. So, I was thinking of using the Albano-Waite or the Radiant Rider Waite.

The plan is to use one of these decks and a TdM-style deck for the first 6 months, and then to switch to the Golden or the International Icon, depending on whether I want to use more detail or less. What do you all think of this plan? Umbrae? Lark? Elf? Kissa?

Thanks! :D

And I promise this will be the last post from me on deck choice. Really. I mean it.

Kissa

i eyed the albano-waite too... but some reviews called the colours childish and i am afraid i could get saturated with the bright colours... but then again, that's just me.

i had the radiant, traded it but it is one i could have decided to use, definitely. maybe the faces are not as expressives as Pixie's but it sure is a nice deck to look at. and for poor ppl like me, a better option than the illuminated tarot by carol herzer (which i am anyway not so fond of, i wonder why all the fuss...)

not choosing a deck you've used before like the universal waite is interesting too... we all have different motivations but still want to commit to one deck for a certain period of time. great!

btw Sulis says to go for it in the study group section :) green light for the One Deck Wonder!!!

bleuivy, have you packed all the crap yet? ;)

kissa

PlatinumDove

My vote is for the One Deck Wonders.

bleuivy

Kissa said:
bleuivy, have you packed all the crap yet? ;)

Hee hee! Not yet, but I can't wait. I'm waiting for my dissertation to be finished before I start this project as I don't want to do anything that will 1) take too long or 2) distract me too much. I have already put the decks into piles though. I can't believe I own so many decks or that I use so few of them! I cannot wait until they are all stowed in a box somewhere!

Umbrae

bleuivy said:
...then to switch to the Golden or the International Icon, depending on whether I want to use more detail or less. What do you all think of this plan? Umbrae? Lark? Elf? Kissa?
There's an old saying, "Less - is more."

Ages ago, Philip Glass did the soundtrack to ‘Koyaanisqatsi’. I became enraptured by minimalism. (Songs from Liquid Days is still one of my favorite albums…)

When I first saw the IIT, I realized that artist Robin Ator did for Tarot, what Philip Glass did for music.

Minimalism…

Koyaanisqatsi…

Koyaanisqatsi is a Hopi word meaning, ”Life out of Balance” – or more literally “Crazy Life”. The film is a statement about the insanity of modern life IMO”

Jewel-ry

Ok guys,

I think One Deck Wonder is fine. I suppose you could add support group or something similar after it but in any case its good with me.

I have just ordered International Icon, should be here in about a week and I have packed away about thirty odd decks (after ordering :rolleyes:). I am going to finish them tonight (hopefully!)

I did have a lot of my decks in bags but I have put them back in their boxes with their lwb's and packed them quite tightly into one box so far. I was so taken with this task last night that I had to force myself to stop at midnight and then I couldnt sleep because I felt so excited! Liberated is a good way to explain it. Sounds silly but I really feel that the physical task of packing them away helps aid the process of focusing on just the one deck. I will try and find another box to take the books too (and the oracles).

I know this will be hard when my two new decks arrive but I have made the deicision to pack them away too if they arrive after the II. If they come before I will have a little glance and then pack them.

I am having a dilemna with the unillustrated deck. Soprafino...Marseillles...if so which one (I have about 5 of each type) but I shall make a decision and stick to it.

I really am so up for this. Just hope that I gain some benefit from it because I don't do many face to face readings. I am sure I will.

Really looking forward to the experience and it couldn't be shared with a nicer bunch of people :)

fluffy

Hi everyone

*Fluffy peeks over her Buddha*

Is it too late to join? I have followed this thread with great interest. I am soooo interested in the next deck I am getting that I barely spend long enough with any new deck to really get a feel for it.

Anyway I was thinking about what Umbrae said "it's not about the cards, it's about the reader" and realised that I had been making this mistake unconsciously for quite some time, as I did not know the decks well enough.

After much hesitation I have decided to just use the Buddha tarot which I got last Thursday. I am going to use this one, because it is quite minimalist in the minors (thank you Umbrae for this suggestion), but illustrated enough for me to keep interested. Also it is not completely RWS so this will stop me thinking about alternative decks when looking at the cards.

Anyway after this long post what I really wanted to say is.... Is there room for one more?

Love Fluffy
x

ps. I have nothing on order so I don't have to wait to pack anything anway!
x