This will show how little I know about tarot...

VGimlet

In my house as long as there is no dog drool, and no crumbs I call it good. :D

I have a piece of black velvet I got to cover my folding table, and the cards do show up very well. I am partial to deep red and royal blue - they would look nice as well.

canid

Alta said:
Clean surface for sure!QUOTE]

Wait a minute! What if we used a coffee/tea/food stained surface - wouldn't that contribute to aging a deck? I think I may be on to something here . . .

Whimsical Fey

I also suggest making sure you have a clean surface. The last thing you want is stickiness all over your cards from dropped icecream or something. Other than that, you should do what feels best for you. I usually read on my bed so my comforter is what's under my cards :) Sometimes I use one of the pretty speads cloths I've bought, or one of my mom's pretty scarves that she no longer uses. I like these because since they belong to her, they feel more comforting and personal. You should do whatever you want. In the end, all that matters is what you are able to learn and get out of the cards. And trust me, that wont change if you forget to place a pretty cloth under your cards.

tigerlily

Personally, I find that dark colours let the images stand out and shine. Don't use silk, it's incredibly slippery - I recommend velvet.

Purrfect

I dont like to use anything brightly coloured under my cards so it needs to be subtle I like using a white cloth. I like to lay out decks that are for personal use only flat on the ground. I like to feel earthed and centred.
I will read anywhere as long as the surface is clean, I even read on my bed or on the sofa. I dont like using a table.
When time permits I would like to purchase a altar cloth for my readings.

Logiatrix

psychicpsycho(: said:
I was origianally going to use possibly tibetan prayers flags I got while in New York but it would be a shame to take it apart so to cover the whole spead.
Please don't take your prayer flags apart; they are in a particular order for a reason.

I don't know specifically if it is "wrong" to use Tibetan prayer flags with one's cards, but I was taught that they are sacred and should be treated accordingly. They are not to be used for mundane purposes, such as for simple decoration or like normal cloth or worn as clothing. They are supposed to be hung high and available to the wind so as to send the prayers to the whole world. The prayers travel as the script on the flags fade from exposure to the elements.

I imagine that keeping them layed on a flat surface where they will never fade or barely even see sunlight is like withholding the blessings that are recorded on the fabric. That's just a feeling I get from it. However, my take on it is worth barely .02 and I'm by no means an expert. YMMV, of course.:heart:

floracove

I've read quite well, while sitting outdoors under an umbrella at a picnic table with small rocks, pieces of wood, keys and other items of weight to keep the cards from becoming Gone With The Wind...

LOL!

As long as it's clean and dry for paper made cards, I think it's just fine.

Briar Rose

I don't think this question means you know little about Tarot. What if you start reading with the cards, and you gel right away with them and you give excellent readings?

From your profile you seem like an intuitive.

When I am outside in the summrtime I lay the cards right out on the grass.

Inside I just use the table, or spead them out while in bed.

SunChariot

psychicpsycho(: said:
I hope this isnt already a thread, I am new to tarot and was just wondering what type of materials could be placed under the cards while doing readings? I was origianally going to use possibly tibetan prayers flags I got while in New York but it would be a shame to take it apart so to cover the whole spead.

Whatever makes you happy, when you're happy and relaxed you'll naturally do your best readings. Obviously nothing that is rough enough to damage the cards (no sandpaper, LOL) but otherwise anything goes.:grin:

To tell you the truth I just read on my bedsheets lately, as I tend to do my readings sitting crosslegged on my bed. :grin:

Babs

re-pete-a

The heavier the material weight the better ,otherwise they tend to gather as you play with your cards.