Thoth Through A Klaiedescope Lens

Aeon418

Abrac said:
Or it could indicate that though many may aspire to the "heavens," only a chosen few are permitted to enter, the wall symbolizing the control mechanism which accomplishes this.
The mechanism is Self-control. This places entry to the walled garden in your hands.

Aeon418

Abrac said:
I would argue that that's ridiculous and that some moral values never go out of date.
It's not a question of morals going out of date, or even the wholesale ditching of morality. The question is, where do your morals originate from? Are they even your values?

External codes of conduct, sometimes backed up by threats of punishment, are for people who need guidance on how to behave. Most of us are familiar with such people. They are called children. As they grow (evolve) towards adulthood they begin to take on more responsibilty for their actions and need less and less external guidance. Eventually they cease to need this guidance and are mature enough to determine morality for themselves. (Or at least that's what should happen. There's a parent in the sky called God for big kids. ;))

Others have mentioned that Capricorn and Cancer seem the wrong way around on the Sun card. In a certain sense they are right. Capricorn (Eye of Hoor) at the zenith symbolises an inversion of the usual spiritual perspective that places authority outside and above humanity. The Thoth Sun card shows a change from external to internal authority. In that sense it is "complete freedom", but it does not mean "absence of control" because it now originates from within. But, as in the example above, it is based on maturity.

Crowley summed up the new freedom in Liber Oz - the Book of the Goat. But Oz in immature hands is like giving matches to a child. Ouch!

Bernice

Herein begins and ends my klaiedescope journey into what the Thoth might convey via it's imagery.

Examination of this first card, The Sun, has put the lid on it.
It represents Crowleys family coat of arms, on the path of the Magician. It simply shouts that this is Crowleys deck.

Clearly the Thoth tarot is a monument that should have the inscription, "Do your own thing". Preferably in latin. It's a common theme throughout his works if you read between the lines.

.......but I still like the artwork.

Bee :)

Kenshin Gordon

Don't forget the wall behind, suggesting(for me) the limit of one's actions.

ravenest

Bernice said:
Centuries ago the far North also regarded the Sun as feminine, and the Moon as maculine :)

Also in some Vedic traditions - my favorite one was PROVED by a guru (who seemed very pleased with himself by his analysis) : The Sun is a woman, if she wasnt, she wouldnt be afraid to come out at night in the dark."

??????

Grigori

Maskelyne said:
This sequence was also associated with the ages of man, from conception and birth, through child, youth, warrior, lord, and old man. Saturn, being the outermost and slowest planet was the lord of time and as such associated with old age and the end of life, among other things.

Also for those that like to associate the signs with the houses, moving from the 4th house of the home and family of original, to the 10th house of the world outside the home would make sense. For this card, that also means traveling from the earth in the direction of the Sun.

Debra said:
So I conclude that he wanted his family crest in the picture out of ego, and what he writes about the card is bs.

I think a statement of ego is very fitting for The Sun card, seems to me an excellent idea. Astrologically the Sun can be seen as the ego, qabalistically Tipareth the Sun is the seat of the Ruach, the personal ego. For someone who self identified as 666, the number of the Sun's magical square, and the Beast (Leo, his rising sign and ruled by the Sun), it seems a rather perfect little pun to me, and I can imagine a perverse joy being obtained by using the family crest in the pursuit of something his family would have disapproved of so vehemently. I think this is a very useful feature for reading with.

Kenshin Gordon said:
Don't forget the wall behind, suggesting(for me) the limit of one's actions.

I was thinking more about the wall yesterday, and it occurs to me the other raised garden with a fence around it is Eden. Like benben rising out of Nun, a creation myth showing up in the image. In this card instead of the more typical "cast out of Eden for original sin" doctrine, we have two winged creatures walking/dancing away joyfully, "divided for love's sake" perhaps. This seems much more fitting to the notion of us each being an incarnated star, and very suitable for this card.

Grigori

Aeon418 said:
It's a nipple. Turn the card onto it's right hand side to see Isis suckling Horus.

Interesting, while looking at the sidewards version, it's finally sunk into my head why Virgo looks so odd on this card. When viewed sideways, the maiden is suddenly clear, rather than the mutant lobster creature she looks like when the card is right way up.

http://www.epilogue.net/cgi/database/art/view.pl?id=33760

Can anyone see any rhyme or reason for the colors of the star sign glyphs? I've looked at the GD color scale and if there is a relationship there it's not obvious to me. Taurus is quite yellow, while Scorpio and Capricorn almost black etc..

EDIT: Snuffin says it's the atziluth color scale, which I can see for a lot of them, but some seem a tad off.

Attachments

• sun sidewards.jpg
    sun sidewards.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 90

Always Wondering

Abrac said:
To top it all off, he plainly says it's the responsibility of a few "pioneers" to see to it that people's moral values get a healthy updating.

I don't see a problem with this. If people want to risk change and do the work they will most likely need help. I would imagine through my experience that a "healthy updating" would mean the checking of ego in the sense of help keeping another grounded.
If someone doesn't want a moral updating then what's the problem? Do as thou wilt.

AW

ravenest

Dont get it.

And I cant for the life of me see the problem in putting ones insignia, coat of arms (entiled to posses or not) on any tarot card that anyone makes even if it is an hermetic deck revealing 'special' knowledge. Why would that make the whole authors analysis of the card bs?

I was greatly enjoying reading the posts of those who had a feel, interpretation, insight, varient approach and are dismayed (if I read the posts right) that there will be no more of this - first and last!

Okay, thats your trip, and your conclusion but werent all your previous understandings and postings a compendium of what you knew from your own personal experience and life? "This reminds me of this because .... and so I feel this about the card." ?

Couldnt one, if the energy of a specific card was represented in the symbols of a specific personal symbol, coat of arms, even ... pet cat, utalise that as well as the other symbols crowded around and artistically displayed on the card? Why not? I cant see why its a problem and leads to the bs conclusion. And given what Similia added above, that makes it double suitible.

Its typical Crowley, brilliant, funny, amusing, pressing buttons for people who ...? Bravo! I say, and does not detract one bit from the mystical, magical, hermetic subtext also going on in each card. AND a relief to encounter these teachings without the outward sniding pomposoty of many who profess occult knowledge and write those tedious books.

Heaven knows what they think of Lom Milo DuQuette's tarot, all thgose drawings of him and his wife! ... "That's DuQuettes wife - this is all bs!" :laugh:

ravenest

DOH! I meant; "What Grigori said."