Transgender decks!

jema

Just thought the same thing! Again, this is a very personal take... I think this deck is very female focused as most gender-fluid figures seem to be male-to-female but not the other way round.

I wonder what would qualify a deck as trans anyway? Androgynous figures? And how would that influence our perception of the very strongly gendered archetypes in the Tarot?

it is not mentioned since the thread is from 2007 - long before Silicon Dawn was even made.

Farzon

it is not mentioned since the thread is from 2007 - long before Silicon Dawn was even made.

A revived thread then... completely read over that post [emoji28].

LauraSeabrook

It was a surprise to see this thread again, but an interesting one. I've finished my Masters of Philosophy (Fine Art) now, and my Trans Tarot Deck was created for my Honours almost 10 years ago. In the past a number of people asked if it would be available as a proper deck. I really have no idea about how one goes about submitting such to a publisher. Can anyone point me to another thread or website that might outline how that's done?

Tarotwolf

Hi Jainabee,

Actually, I think the ten of cups shows a transgender woman and her pregnant partner. The beauty of what Robin has done with her deck is represent the transgender element as a completely normative part of society. (I just want to stress that I don't know for a fact that the figure on the ten of cups is transgender. However I do know that the two women in the background of this card, with their backs to us, are the artist and her partner. Robin is the one holding the child up in the air.)

Brammetje

Hi are there any transgender tarot decks out there?

oh! It was started in 2007! Hello, Mina—we're picking up your thread!

Very cool !!!!

It has been a while since I started this thread....i forgot about it ....in fact: when I saw it I initially thought it was started by someone else ha!!

I have changed so much !

At the present moment I think a transgender deck might just be the reversal of classic stereotypes in the tarot. Male cards are now female and vice versa.

This could actually be a very thrilling experience;

Imagine the empress as a bearded pregnant man....or the high priestess as a boy !

The emperor as a strong woman....it would be fun and interesting to reverse everything.

It might give very interesting readings....in fact...i might try create one for myself...

Thanks for joining in this thread

Brammetje

And isnt it cool....i seldomly visit this forum....but it just so happens that I found my own thread...posted at a time that I still lived as a boy.

Brammetje

pregnant-man-thomas-beatie.jpg

danieljuk

congrats on your transition Brammetje :thumbsup: I am glad you came back to the thread you started originally and found it again :)

It's wonderful since then that there is places in the world where trans people are much more accepted now and gender queers and everyone outside of the binary. Tarot decks have cards which challenge normatives far more often these days. I think it's more diverse these days.

I do hope you publish your deck Laura, I would love to own a deck with people I can read for trans folk with and they can relate to! :thumbsup:

Brammetje

I do hope you publish your deck Laura, I would love to own a deck with people I can read for trans folk with and they can relate to! :thumbsup:

That is very considerate but keep in mind that someone could really take offence....it is like reading a tarot deck for black people full of stereotypes. Really be carefull with that. I would be offended.