trying to control my deck buying

faunabay

When I bought my first tarot deck about 10 years or so ago I didn't know what kind of decks worked best for me or that I connected with the most. I bought alot of different types of decks. Then traded or sold alot of different types of decks! LOL At one point I think I had some where around 80-90 decks!! :bugeyed: And I didn't consider myself a collector. I was just trying everything out to see how we worked together. LOL

Now though I know which ones work best - that I like the best. So I've gotten rid of most of them - I only have about 30 now. Well that's better! (giggle) And in looking at the new ones I can really take or leave alot of them because I know what I like.

But.......I still like to buy new decks! I like the buying, the anticipating, the receiving, and the getting to know new decks. Now though I feel like I've got many decks that work very well for me that I keep putting on the shelf so I can explore a new one.

I really want to work with the ones I have but what happens when I find one I really like again? For example I probably wouldn't have bought the Graven Images Oracle if I hadn't just let my impulse take over one day. But it's one of my absolute favorite decks now!!!

I feel like if I curb my buying impulses too much I might miss out on a deck that I could love for a very long time. At the same time I do want to work with the ones I have. How can I get myself out of this catch 22??? What do you all think? Do you have any comments or suggestions?

It's kind of a fun problem to have :D - but still a issue for me. I really am wondering how I can work this out.

.traveller.

I'm in the same boat. I have bunches of decks I love and use; I have enough to last me a very, very long time. But every now and again I will see something and think "Hmmm, but I might like THAT one too!"

Trading seems the best way to go, you get to try out something new without actually adding to the number of decks you already own.

HearthCricket

I know where you are coming from. There are pros and cons to both sides. Having a smaller collection allows you the chance to really know your decks well and be satisfied with what you have, read well from them, know them inside out and keep your collection under control, both space and financial-wise.

Having a larger collection is fun in collecting and getting them, harder on the pocket and storage gets to be an issue, but allows you the thrill (though often only momentarily) in receiving a new one, and also allows you to have a larger and wider access to a variety of decks at your fingertips.

So, ask yourself why you collect tarot in the first place. Why do you read, what do you want from it, why do you feel the need to get more. It is fine if you do want more. But it doesn't have to be all written in stone or black or white. Find a happy middle ground. Allow yourself to buy decks, but think before making the plunge and remember why you got rid of decks in the first place. I have sold before, rebought, sold, etc. Drives me nuts! But I have started paring back a bit and am glad of it. I have more than I need and plan to be a lot pickier in my future purchases, but I will still collect. I just might buy a deck and give one or two away in the process that are not being used and keep things balanced and myself happy. Good luck in your decision and quest for finding a happy ending to this dilemna!

faunabay

Well this is part of the reason I'm joining in the train trades. A good way to get new decks but not add any to the number of decks I already have. You trade one and then get one in trade. Everything stays even. :) We'll see how it works out for me. LOL

Like I explained above, it really is starting to irritate me a bit. :D So I think I will be ALOT more picky in the future. I have done this before though. I go through a phase where I get rid of alot of decks, telling myself I'll only keep ?? (pick a number). I stay with that for awhile then decide it's time to buy more decks.

Now that I've typed that.....well what's wrong with that? Nothing! But this time I'm finding I don't have many I want to get rid of. I like all the ones I have so there are very few I don't want to keep.

I think part of the reason I'm going through this right now is I have bought quite a few new decks lately. But after the newness has worn off some I've found myself missing my older decks. Even the ones I haven't read with for a couple of years, like my Robin Wood.

Maybe right now I just need to concentrate on the decks I have until I've worked with them for awhile. And pull out any of the older ones I want to work with again. After a time I probably will want to buy some new ones, but so what? :)

faunabay

I just had a thought......maybe I can ask myself this question.

"Will (new deck) give me a different angle or spin that I don't have with another deck I already own?"

hmmm....that might work. :royal: I'm going to give it a try.

.traveller.

What irritates me is the space they eat up. The cards themselves are no problem, but the sets are killer!

The train is great, just don't fall into the trap of buying for the train... that can get messy.

Queen of Disks

Try paying for college. That should solve your problem real fast. :eek:

Disa

I know what you mean. When I was first getting into tarot I didn't know what I liked. I have a few decks I really just don't connect with. I keep thinking, someday they will have a purpose, whether it's giving them to a new tarot reader who is just getting started, or learning to like them. I have a few decks with unillustrated pips and, really, I don't know if I'll ever use them. Once I get rid of them, though, I may wish I still had them. In the meantime, I'm getting more selective in what I buy.

I think they main thing to keep in mind is, do the decks resonate with your soul? Were you connected to them? If you felt a connection, I think you should keep them, because looking back on a dear old friend is a great thing, no matter how much time passes between meetings.

Disa

ETA: and then I saw this :http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=93102

lark

You sound just like me fauna...only I'm in the position right now where I'm sorting through and thining out my 140 or so decks...I wish I only had 30...that would seem very simplified to me.
I did the same as you collected many because I wasn't sure what my style was..what would work for me.
But after awhile out of the many came the few and I'm happy with what I discovered about myself and now I know what works for me.

I've slowed way down on deck buying to, but I get that panicky feeling when I read posts about a new deck that's just out and everyone is talking about it.
Am I missing "the one"....or another "the one" (because I already have a few I consider my favorites,) if I don't get this deck????

I have bought a few real duds lately that I decided on quickly and without seeing most of the deck...and that got me thinking that as much as I like the anticipation of waiting for a deck ..getting a dud is such a let down it over shadows any happy feeling I had waiting by the mailbox.
Because then it's the old bugaboo...what am I going to do with this now....??

For me it doesn't do any good to just stick it in the closet..
I'm one of those weird kind of people that only keeps what I use...if I'm not using it in some way it bothers me like an itch or a sliver...I know it's there just sitting there with no purpose, gathering dust and I can't rest until it's gone and order is restored once again in larky land.
And right now I'm real itchy!

I wish I knew what the answer is...I guess for myself in thinking about this I decided I'm going to forgo any quick deck buying decisions...if it's new it'll be around for awhile, I can wait. :)
I want to see a good portion of the deck before I buy.
And I'm going to trust my gut...my intuition... and let it lead me to what's right for me.
It's never failed me before..I wish I would have listened to it screaming NOOOOOOOOO!!!! when I walked to the counter to buy the Mystic Faieries...
Maybe the Graven Image was one of those intuition, hit you in the gut, decks and that is why it's working so well for you.

Anyway if you come up with a solution let me know...I'l be sitting here in the middle of a pile of decks..waiting...maybe applying a little ointment..anybody seen my tweezer?

lark

faunabay said:
I just had a thought......maybe I can ask myself this question.

"Will (new deck) give me a different angle or spin that I don't have with another deck I already own?"

hmmm....that might work. :royal: I'm going to give it a try.
That's a good idea....and I bet most of the time the answer will be no.

We have a woman at one of the fairs I read at that has been reading forever and she has only ever used the RWS, the regular old ugly yellow version...but she can read the begebbers out of those cards...and she thinks we're all crazy for having tons of decks out on our tables....and she doesn't think she's missed anything by sticking to the one deck...she found her muse and she's happy with it.