Umbrae

Lavandula

Umbrae said:
T'was a challenge indeed.

So I went out to cut my lawn. Actually, lawn is not the correct word. Lawn implies care and imposed beauty carefully cut and edged.

I have expanses of green stuff that I hack down to a somewhat uniform height about 6 times a year. My neighbors have lawns. They have ‘That’ Neighbor.

So I’m out mowing, or taking it down from knee-high to a more manageable height, and it hit me!

I needed water, wanted a break, and your friend needs a Tarot of the Crone.

Hi Umbrae, what a great thread, you have a lot of fans here!

I was hoping I could impose and ask ...
... and I'd respect your response either way ...
... if you wouldn't mind ...
....can I borrow your lawn mower?

And if you could recommend a deck for me?

Umbrae

thorhammer said:
Hey, Umbrae, out of curiosity, would you mind bending your thoughts my way, see if you can sift out a deck for me? Not that I'm in the slightest bit unhappy with my current companion, but I am curious.

Time has come for you to make your first set of runes.

Ator Tarot

Lavandula said:
I was hoping I could impose and ask ...
... and I'd respect your response either way ...
... if you wouldn't mind ...
....can I borrow your lawn mower?

And if you could recommend a deck for me?

First off, you cannot borrow my lawn mower, but you can have my weed whacker, it’s a piece of…Oh my…we are in public aren’t we. Well dum-de-dum…I do think its time for you to zig instead of that constant zagging…The Alchemical: Renewed.

Ohhh and if you see Neely75, tell her to keep her eyes open on The Tarot Garden website…I hear tell that that Dan guy has done an interview with Robert Place, and with a bit of luck it could even show up on the site next week! I do remember him ranting on about the Grey Wolf, so he might include something.

Gotta scoot…

Curious

Umbrae said:
you cannot borrow my lawn mower, but you can have my weed whacker

I don't need your lawn mower as I no longer waste our limited water resources on my postage stamp sized yard. I could use your weed whacker, however, as my hill is overgrown with dry grass that is a fire hazard in the summer. The local fire department actually hands out warnings if you do not keep the grasses cut.

Now on to the serious nature of this message.

You don't know me as I have only recently started posting comments to the various forums on this site (and not many at that if you compare my post count with others!). But, I read most of the forums daily (hourly) as I am fascinated with the tarot. In particular, I am excited about its ability to help me explore my creative side - something I never thought I had in me since I was encouraged from the outset to have my feet firmly planted in the ground. In other words, I have spent most of my life packing my head with intellectual knowledge at the expense of my spiritual growth.

I have been looking for a deck that will be especially useful for meditation - one that will allow me to fall into its images, something that will stimulate my imagination. I am coming up empty handed. Any ideas? The decks in my tiny collection are primarily 'learning' decks. I have a difficult time losing myself in them as I anaylze each card for its symbolism.

Thanks, in advance, for taking the time to read and perhaps answer my request.

thorhammer

Umbrae said:
Time has come for you to make your first set of runes.

Ator Tarot
Done the rune thing, they're just halfway across the country. They're made from small pieces of river-chalk from my parents' cattle property, and I carved the runes into the chalk with a small file and painted the lines with fat and ochre that I ground myself.

I miss them.

Ator, hey? Hmm, I do kinda like it, will keep an eye out for it. Cheers,

\m/ Kat

Umbrae

Curious said:
...I have been looking for a deck that will be especially useful for meditation - one that will allow me to fall into its images, something that will stimulate my imagination. I am coming up empty handed. Any ideas? The decks in my tiny collection are primarily 'learning' decks. I have a difficult time losing myself in them as I anaylze each card for its symbolism.

Thanks, in advance, for taking the time to read and perhaps answer my request.

Not a problem! Glad you took the time to sit and chat.

I was thinking of a nice Tarot ReVISIONed by Leigh McCloskey. Some folks get all lathered up over it being in Black & White - however it was created, expressly for the uses you wish to put it to. It'd really be a wonderful fit.

And that hill…you really don’t want my weed whacker, it’s black and decker piece of crap, I want Death’s scythe myself.

thorhammer said:
Done the rune thing, they're just halfway across the country. They're made from small pieces of river-chalk from my parents' cattle property, and I carved the runes into the chalk with a small file and painted the lines with fat and ochre that I ground myself.

I miss them. ...

Oh man, I guess I was looking at your separation between you and your runes. So make another set! A Drimmel tool and stone! Carved antler (polishes really nice).

You more than miss them...

Here's one for you.

Nauthiz...reading over...

thorhammer

Umbrae said:
Oh man, I guess I was looking at your separation between you and your runes. So make another set! A Drimmel tool and stone! Carved antler (polishes really nice).

You more than miss them...

Here's one for you.

Nauthiz...reading over...
Thanks. There's a lot there . . . perhaps it is time. Since I don't have access to antler, perhaps some lovely aged jarrah would come up beautifully, with its deep rich red . . . must explore this.

\m/ Kat

Curious

Umbrae said:
I was thinking of a nice Tarot ReVISIONed by Leigh McCloskey.

Thanks for your prompt response and suggestion. I am not averse to using a black and white deck. In fact, just last week I was looking at the Hermetic but that one looked like it was going to be another learning deck too!

I will give your suggestion serious consideration. The scans on line are very intriguing. I wish there were 78 cards as in a regular tarot deck but perhaps 22 cards are more than enough for my purposes.

I am off to read the reviews . . .

PS - this deck is lost among the zillion of other decks beginning with 'Tarot'.

stefficus

both feet

i can't believe i'm going to ask this of a depraved man wearing a dirty tutu and runny nylons while using death's scythe to trim his lawn (which i would totally pay to see), and i know i'm new (although i doubt that's a problem, as you seem to also have superpowers apparently unrelated to your questionable fashion sense) but... could you recommend an Ultimate Deck pour moi?

oh. wait. that sounds like exactly the kind of thing i'd do. heh.

Umbrae

stefficus said:
i can't believe i'm going to ask this of a depraved man wearing a dirty tutu and runny nylons while using death's scythe to trim his lawn (which i would totally pay to see), and i know i'm new (although i doubt that's a problem, as you seem to also have superpowers apparently unrelated to your questionable fashion sense) but... could you recommend an Ultimate Deck pour moi?

oh. wait. that sounds like exactly the kind of thing i'd do. heh.
Whoa – although I’m not going to argue the depraved comment, however I really have to take issue with ‘questionable fashion sense’. Tis not my fault that I seem to have lost my trousers, nobody has found them, and then somebody once said they had been run up a flagpole; me-self, I wanted a kilt (hunter Anderson or some such), but oh no that’d no do, I was shamelessly stuffed into a tutu quite against my own will, so I could at least continue my searching for the cat that seems to have gotten lose, that my buddy Schrödinger entrusted me with. And as I said, it’s not a lawn, it’s just green stuff that grows, and I never wear nylons (unless I’m riding English – and I’d never be caught dead riding western).

Ultimate deck? For you? I don’t know. You’re already there. Perhaps a Margarete Petersen? A Rohrig?

See I’m really confused. I have this odd kind of hit off you. I really think a Rohrig would be the ticket (the German edition), but I think you’d balk once you got it (and a few years from now you’d go “OMG!!! I get it!”) and in the meantime it’d be sitting there.

But you’d love the art of the Margarete Petersen…and it’s a lovely deck, but I don’t think that it will take you, in the long run, where you need to (and want to) go.

Nina*

Umbrae said:
Whoa – although I’m not going to argue the depraved comment, however I really have to take issue with ‘questionable fashion sense’. Tis not my fault that I seem to have lost my trousers, nobody has found them, and then somebody once said they had been run up a flagpole; me-self, I wanted a kilt (hunter Anderson or some such), but oh no that’d no do, I was shamelessly stuffed into a tutu quite against my own will, so I could at least continue my searching for the cat that seems to have gotten lose, that my buddy Schrödinger entrusted me with. And as I said, it’s not a lawn, it’s just green stuff that grows, and I never wear nylons (unless I’m riding English – and I’d never be caught dead riding western).
:D :D :D