What do you do when box is worn/torn?

Formicida

mgrace said:
the other reason I don't like to use the orig boxes is that the cards hit against the flap in the bottom, and their's some dualing of cards to box flap (does that make visual sense).

I generally keep the LWB in the box, against the flap in the bottom. That way it holds the flap back and the cards can slide in.

As to the original question, clear packing tape looks a bit nicer, and holds more strongly, than scotch tape. Once the box gets too beat up, I break down and make a bag.

sacredashes

mgrace said:
I don't keep the deckies in their orig boxes, as I know that eventually they'll come to the state you describe. Am going to check the threads mentioned in the following messages, but am very interested in the method you learned from your nephew!!! -- as the other reason I don't like to use the orig boxes is that the cards hit against the flap in the bottom, and their's some dualing of cards to box flap (does that make visual sense). I wonder if you could possibly describe -- ?

Sure thing, mgrace. I've yet to make my first box but once I figure out the kinks, I'll post the recipe here :D

I used bags before, w/out the original box but that didn't work coz I don't like the cards moving all over the place. The edges get bent and they end up worst for wear.

Then I made boxes from thick box covers that worked pretty well. Good thing about this method is that I can line the insides with black velvet or felt (to give my cards a comfy place to sleep in) and covered the box with vinyl to keep out water (it rains here all the time). I even use crystals on some boxes to keep them cleansed when not in use. Takes a lot of time to make these though.

This is where my Robin Wood and Gilded Tarot live in now. But they're bulky and not that easy to carry around unless I use a seperate carry bag for reading appointments, which was why I wondered whether what other options were out there were doing to solve this?

The original boxes get difficult to use when the flap is worn or just won't fit properly so I thought a flip-top box would be perfect. Doesn't interfere with the cards and if they're made right, the top won't come off easily. To re-inforce that, I was wondering if making them with magnet glued inside the top covers would help.

Opinions welcome...

Ash

lark

Ash something that I found that works really well for carrying decks around with you is a small cosmetic travel case.
I have one that looks like a purse with handles on it and opens flat it has a clear plastic zippered section on each side large enough for two decks to fit into nicely with no juggle room.
They make so many types of these and you can buy them almost every where...even the dollar store, so I just kept looking untill I found something the right size.
I usually keep two decks on one side and a cotton spread cloth and travel candle on the other.
I also use no-ouch ponytail holders on my cards when they are inside of tarot bags it keeps them from getting bent and moving around.

rainwolf

Bat Chicken said:
I have taken to using wooden boxes or sturdy leather bags for my most frequently used decks. I don't keep them in their original boxes. I am one of those anal people who loves pristine stuff - so I find if I want to trade, everything goes in perfect condition - even the box! OCD?? Nah.... ;)})

So I would suggest you put aside the original box and find something else to protect your cards... You should be able to find something pre-made... or sew leather?
Right there with you batchicken....:|

I took all the boxes, flattened them by opening both sides, and then put them in a container. Why keep it in an uncomfortable box when it can enjoy the luxury of a bag?

Arania

We usually leave the decks without box then. We have some open cardboard boxes which they are stored in, usually covered with cloth. I'll eventually get around to making boxes for them.

sacredashes

Arania said:
We usually leave the decks without box then. We have some open cardboard boxes which they are stored in, usually covered with cloth. I'll eventually get around to making boxes for them.

I keep saying that too but don't actually get around to it. This ciggie box method is much simpler to make but I also like Lark's idea of getting a travel bag that fits the cards just nice... :)

Options are beginning to open up..

Seleena

A quick way to make a bag is to use sleeves off old shirts. Cut them around about the same width as the deck and sew up both ends. At one end leave a little space in the hem and thread a pretty ribbon through. Put Deck and pamphet in and voila! I use old shirts with pretty patterns that I find at used clothes stores. Depending on how big the shirt is, is wether I cut for the length or width of the deck.

Seleena

AJ

welcome to the forum Seleena. Cute idea! You could use dress shirts and keep the cuff end as the open end, in a fold-over manner. Would be a nice place to use a lost loved one's cuff link even.

I've read here somewhere that someone even uses old socks. I enjoy making bags and spread cloths, but I'd also like to learn to make the flip-top boxes.

Seleena

Thanks AJ. Those are also wonderful ideas. I never thought of cuffs or socks. Thanks for the welcome too!

I have a friend who makes boxes. He makes them whole, then cuts off the top third for the lid and puts a hinge on them. This way you aren't trying to match the lid to the bottom. :)

sacredashes

You know, I really like the creativity that's floating around here.. gives me good vibes..

Welcome to the forum, Saleena :) ... and thanks for the idea. Turning sleeves into bags seems pretty straight-forward. I'm not much a needle and thread person but I can imagine what can be done with tarot bags made from sleeves and cuff links would be a nice touch... Maybe worth a try..

I like the idea of your friend making boxes and putting hinges on them. Does he use wood, plastic or some other material?

mgrace, see if you can get hold of an empty ciggie box, easy if you're a smoker.. if not, then you probably have to get hold of one from somewhere. It's easier to have a box handy to follow the cut.

First, you have to peel open all the sides that are glued together carefully. There is a front card holder inside the box that keeps the cigarettes together, between the box and the cigarettes.. that little piece is important so don't throw it away.

Once you have the entire box opened up, it looks sort of like a rectangle with all the flaps on the side. Trace the outline on any sturdy cardboard material you wish to use (postcard thickness is good enough), magazine covers, posters.. anything.

Once you have the outline of a box, cut it according to the cigarette box example you have. After that, it's just fold and glue!

The little piece of card that holds the cigarettes together also keeps the flip-top from opening up so when you trace that piece on cardboard, remember to fold the 2 sides together and trace the little bump as well. It should fit into your box perfectly and the bumps work as stoppers for the flip-top.

Bear in mind, this is the method of making a ciggie box, the size will have to be altered depending on the deck you're making it for.

If you want to feature something in the front, while tracing the outline, just make sure you trace the outline according to where the you want the picture to be shown in the front. My nephew gave me one made with Wolverine (X-Men) and he sold his 3-D Superman box for $10/-. Apparently he sells them it for extra cash so he picks nice-looking comic action-hero figures for the boxes that he makes.

I'm still trying to figure out how to protect the box from worn edges.. but what the hell, change 'em when they get worn again, different pictures every 3 months. :D