What do you do when box is worn/torn?

karen0205

If you go to the forum topic on tarot creation, there are lots of links with box patterns that you can find and print out. All different sizes and shapes, might be easier if you can't find a box to take apart. :)

sacredashes

No kidding? Good idea to make a box AND a bag from shirt sleeves. I still can't get the idea of cuff links out of my head. :D

mgrace, how about that?

taylorkiteling

I don't use boxes for my cards for this same reason - they just tend to get worn out, torn, and, in one case, grimy. For all my decks, I sew a simple felt bag and use one of those elastic ponytail bands to secure it closed. I have them color-coded for the "energy" of the deck - for example, my Gilded Tarot is in a red bag, my Art Nouveau Tarot is in a purple bag, and my Universal Waite Tarot is in a green bag.

I do keep decks I don't use much in their original cases - my Lord of the Rings Tarot and my Lo Scarabeo Dragons Tarot are in the boxes they came in.

But I've found that the felt bags are durable, keep the cards from getting bent, and actually keep out a lot of water. (I once got stuck outside in a big rainstorm and my purse got SOAKED, but my cards in their felt case were fine!)

cardlady22

I use the clear packaging/mailing tape along the edges of my boxes (works for books too)

k00kaburra

It may sound quite 'drastic' but what I have done in this situation where I've wanted to keep the box looking nice:

1. Take the box apart carefully - along the glued tabs of the box
2. Lay the opened box out flat and cover it with clear contact adhesive covering
3. Just like covering a book
3. Fold the box back into its correct shape and glue the edges of the box back together.

Works beautifully! I did this close to twenty year ago with one deck - and today you'd say the box looks brand new! :thumbsup:

Although I have to say - I don't do this anymore; I keep in nice bags and wooden boxes. :D

However I do have an old Thoth 'geenie' box that I think is worth saving and applying the above (before it gets too torn apart).

Deb.

lark

k00kaburra said:
It may sound quite 'drastic' but what I have done in this situation where I've wanted to keep the box looking nice:

1. Take the box apart carefully - along the glued tabs of the box
2. Lay the opened box out flat and cover it with clear contact adhesive covering
3. Just like covering a book
3. Fold the box back into its correct shape and glue the edges of the box back together.

Works beautifully! I did this close to twenty year ago with one deck - and today you'd say the box looks brand new! :thumbsup:

Although I have to say - I don't do this anymore; I keep in nice bags and wooden boxes. :D

However I do have an old Thoth 'geenie' box that I think is worth saving and applying the above (before it gets too torn apart).

Deb.
That's a really nice idea..thanks for sharing it. :)

desertrat

Wow k00kaburra, I really love your contact paper idea! It's so simple. One could even use patterned contact paper instead of clear.

I personally hand-sew bags for my favorite decks. I'm pretty uptight about it, and have to make them all lined and fancy. It's rather tedious and I sometimes ask myself why I go to so much trouble. But I'm compelled. And they do end up looking so lovely (if I do say so myself). I suppose it's worth it.