What Do You Say You Do?

nisaba

I'm a Tarot reader. Sometimes - I read Tarot. I'm a shamanic worker. I'm a writer. I'm unemployed, I'm a mother, a lesbian, a driver, an animal-lover, a Tarotista, a reader, and a complete waste of oxygen, depending on whom I'm talking to and the circumstances.

There may be other things I'm happy to say that I am. And as far as all of them are concerned, I'm out and I'm proud.

shelikes2read

Interesting question. Like some others in this thread, I only mention Tarot in the situations where I know I'm not going to cause the other person(s) in the conversation to have a heart attack. I know there are some fundamentalists in my life who would wig out at the thought that I even know what a Tarot card is, much less own multiple decks' worth and know how to read them. Around them, I just don't mention it. Period.

But then again, around some people, I don't discuss things like politics or religion, either. On all those topics, I have my opinions, they have theirs, and at most, the twain only partially overlap. I already know I'm no more likely to convince them of my stance than they are to convince me of theirs. So I just spare everyone the heartburn and don't bring some topics up. ;)

But everyone who matters, knows I do readings by phone. If I couldn't level with someone, I wouldn't be able to put them in the "people who matter most" category.

Consuela

Just yesterday I was asked for my occupation in the waiting room of a busy optometrist's office, and without thinking I just blurted out 'card reader'. The reaction was heads turning everywhere in my direction, and a kind of hostile incredulity, so I added 'Just put it down as 'Other'. (I do alot of things but the only work I have been paid for recently is Tarot reading.) On later reflection I wondered if some of them thought I meant that I cheat at Poker.

I think in similar situations in future I will just say 'Consultant'. Alot of people aren't interested really, they just want to fill in the box on a form, and if some people do want to know more, I can say 'Tarot consultant' and/or fish out one of my business cards and hand it to them. I'm very mindful that word of mouth is what gets me work, but I am also painfully aware of the narrowmindedness and intolerance that abounds; a little of it even in my own extended family, some of whom relate Tarot to Devil worship - I kid you not. But in more enlightened company I am very open about what I do, and it is the start of a lot of interesting conversations - it can be a real ice-breaker at parties.

FionaT

Interesting one... like many who have replied I have several strands to my income (how do you like that way of putting it LOL!) and I usually say I'm a freelance writer and ghostwriter and a coach using tarot as a catalyst. I also so SEO and internet consulting, so we usually have something to say at parties!

However to be serious, I totally agree it depends on the company you are in. I live in a small rural village in Italy and I just wouldn't mention it in conversation here because of the associated ideas regarding tarot readers - that they can do spells and all sorts of things. Despite being a predominantly Catholic country Italians are very superstitious, but you don't know who is and who isn't when you meet people and I wouldn't want to offend anyone or have the village calling me a witch! (Mind you as I have a pet crow called Merlina, I guess they probably say that anyway!). Call me a wimp, but there you are!

PsychicLord

Whilst it is not my main job and I dislike labels, I just use the easy to understand term 'Psychic'.

As a psychic, I may use cards, channel, face read, or whatever I need to help the individual sitting in front of me (or on some internet chat place).

As long as they leave 'happier' or 'reassured', or at the very least 'satisfied', then I have fulfilled my role..... the term 'psychic' has served me for decades, so I am unlikely to change it now :)

nisaba

PsychicLord said:
Whilst it is not my main job and I dislike labels, I just use the easy to understand term 'Psychic'.
Paradoxically, this is one word I try very hard to keep away from. In my community, it is used to refer only to overhead clairvoyance, which I rarely do, and it is almost always used in an us-and-them sense: people who are "psychic" are somehow superior to all the other poor mugginses out there.

And I believe all people are psychic, anyway - just some of us pay attention to it and train it up, and others don't.

Not a word I like, for all those reasons.

Dancing Bear

I have just recently have gone back to doing All I love doing..as my main living.. reading Tarot, Palms and Pendulum, doing spirit connections and teaching basic techniques for various things that go hand in hand..
And i say Just that..

On My business card I have My real name. aka Dancing Bear as many know me as just that..The Label i use Is Medium.
I do not think nor bat an eyelid when asked..Please or offend it is who i am and what defines who i am,, And i offend someone with all that i am so be it.I cant please everyone.

I do understand Psychic lord when he says he uses the word psychic because it is easier understood.. And I get you Nisaba not wanting to use the word coz it is connected to spirit connections..

Because i almost always get asked well what is a Medium.
I explain and they go ahh!! Now i got ya..its like a psychic!.... LOL!!..
Well Yes and No there is a difference i believe.. But i dont go into it.
As long as in their head they get it.. Its all good..
Psychic is a label, but it is easy to understand for the Lamen. It covers a lot of areas as far as many people believe. All those tv shows that give Medium tasks to Psychic's, i think has done it.. People now believe connecting to spirit is Psychic. Its not.. It Medium..I wish those bleedin Psychic challenge shows would do their homework a little more thoroughly as they mix up so much.... I dont watch them because of that..

I will only explain if the need arises.

They do say all Mediums are Psychic.. but not all Psychics are Mediums.. I totally agree. But!!
I dont think i am overly Psychic at all.. I am more Medium. that is why I use the term Medium over being Psychic.

re-pete-a

nisaba said:
I'm a Tarot reader. Sometimes - I read Tarot. I'm a shamanic worker. I'm a writer. I'm unemployed, I'm a mother, a lesbian, a driver, an animal-lover, a Tarotista, a reader, and a complete waste of oxygen, depending on whom I'm talking to and the circumstances.

There may be other things I'm happy to say that I am. And as far as all of them are concerned, I'm out and I'm proud.

Skills unmentioned.
You may be out Nisaba, but the scorpion training is a hidden covert talent of yours .
Milking them is a test of patience and skill not suited to the foolhardy or the nervous .

Is there much call for elixir of scorpion these days? I hear it sharpens the thoughts and the tongue.

nisaba

Gosh, never! I'm fluffy, me! Scorpion-wangling is what I do as my Extreme Sport. Hey, it's got to be safer than bungee-jumping!

Cupid's Heart

Interesting Question

I am a professional psychic tarot reader and that is what I tell people I do (WHEN ASKED). I am clairvoyant and clairaudient in addition to being able to converse with the Tarot so I do use the term psychic since most people don't know the meaning of clairvoyant and clairaudient and I don't want to get stuck explaining... I don't like the word either, since it is soooo misunderstood.

That being said, I just relocated to the bible belt of all places and I do get strange reactions from the locals, but I think being upfront and honest is the only way to dispell the myth that tarot readers and/or psychics are not scary or strange people... just misunderstood by most...